Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

D5 engine used without oil. Very sad :-(

Views : 23752

Replies : 71

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 20th, 2021, 11:41   #21
Davadava

The dealership has sent a decent apology.

They have admitted liability.

They have instructed their insurers (Aviva) so I suppose that they feel 'off the hook' or am I being unfair?

The insurers assessor is to visit the car.

The insurers are trying to arrange a suitable vehicle as a temporary replacement.

I hope it isn't a Landrover. Been there, done that, from Defenders to Range Rovers (all new) - Ok when they work. It's a long time since I was a member of the Bonnet Up Brigade!

The insurers are already hinting at writing it off.

10 year old car, expensive repair etc. etc.

They don't understand do they?
Davadava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20th, 2021, 12:03   #22
JonnyA

Feel for you on this - They certainly don't / do not want to understand.
Stick to your guns for a full repair (new engine) in your car.
You've had it from new, built to your spec. No doubt you've looked about but autotrader only has a couple that broadly match (age, milage) at £12-13k add in that (to you) these are wrong colour/spec & unknown and the cost to the insurer of the new engine isn't going to get close.
Unfortunately it could be time to warm up the legal beagles on your side - wishing you all the best on this & hoping they play ball.
ex - 1999 V40 2.0SE
ex - 1988 740 GL estate, before that a 340 GL
JonnyA is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JonnyA For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 20th, 2021, 12:15   #23
XC90Mk1
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyA View Post
Feel for you on this - They certainly don't / do not want to understand.
Stick to your guns for a full repair (new engine) in your car.
You've had it from new, built to your spec. No doubt you've looked about but autotrader only has a couple that broadly match (age, milage) at £12-13k add in that (to you) these are wrong colour/spec & unknown and the cost to the insurer of the new engine isn't going to get close.
Unfortunately it could be time to warm up the legal beagles on your side - wishing you all the best on this & hoping they play ball.
It will be written off. A new engine supplied and fitted by Volvo is likely north of £15,000 to £20,000. And with insurers choosing to write off vehicles at 30-50% of book value there is not a chance of getting a brand new 20K engine on a car that books probably at half that.

To the OP, it’s clear that you need to argue for the best payout you can get. I have heard of persons printing other advertised vehicles with similar servicing and schedules etc and achieving a fair and decent payout.

The legal route is an option however given that the insurers must legally put you back to the position you were originally in you may struggle. And with solicitors charging £xxx an hour you will soon be very deep out of pockets. Remember if you lose your case you have to foot the bill for the other side often.

Sorry to hear this.

On the upside it is good to know you have not been offered a 3K remanufactured or refurbished engine…
XC90Mk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to XC90Mk1 For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 20th, 2021, 12:41   #24
Bonefishblues
Premier Member

Keep pushing. Dealerships have insurance for a reason, even if they are reluctant to use it.
Bonefishblues is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bonefishblues For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 20th, 2021, 12:47   #25
XC90Mk1
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonefishblues View Post
Keep pushing. Dealerships have insurance for a reason, even if they are reluctant to use it.
They are using it. The insurance company will ensure he is compensated to the value of a 10 year old Volvo in good condition with good service history.

That’s the problem.
Old Jul 20th, 2021, 13:00   #26
T5R92011
FCW Auto Service

Society is so wasteful. Could easily just put a 2nd hand D5 engine in for cheap.
Everything is write off these days.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to T5R92011 For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 20th, 2021, 13:08   #27
XC90Mk1
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by T5R92011 View Post
Society is so wasteful. Could easily just put a 2nd hand D5 engine in for cheap.
Everything is write off these days.
Yes you could. You are very right and that’s what will probably happen (insurance company wrote it if, it’s repurchased and put back on the road).

I assume however you would lead from the front and if you had a £15,000 car with impeccable history you would allow them to fit a remanufactured engine with a 12 month warranty??

Nope, didn’t think so.

As is so often the way it’s the insurance company and dealerships at waste not tue OP.
Old Jul 20th, 2021, 13:15   #28
Bonefishblues
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by XC90Mk1 View Post
They are using it. The insurance company will ensure he is compensated to the value of a 10 year old Volvo in good condition with good service history.

That’s the problem.
Ah, I hadn't kept up at the back...
Bonefishblues is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bonefishblues For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 20th, 2021, 17:52   #29
Simmy
Premier Member

another option is to let them write it off and then make a sensible low bid for the salvage then get the engine completly rebuilt by a reputable engine builder you will end up with money in your pocket and the car that you have loved and cherished back on your drive . this is an option . i have done this with several cars . its a very satisfying feeling to know that you beat the insurance and all the red tape that acompany them good luck .
Simmy is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Simmy For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 20th, 2021, 19:15   #30
Davadava

Thanks Simmy

Great idea, I have started researching a couple of localish firms to see what they'll charge and warranty.

I have also asked a (different!) Volvo dealer to quote for the work.

I've approached Volvo UK also as they presumably allow certain garages to sell their product and as such are surely endorsing those dealerships.

Though I know it isn't Volvo's fault directly, they do recommend/insist? that dealers do the work on our cars (certainly during the warranty period).

The worry is totally knackering, also still awaiting a hire car that'll tow 2200kg.

Thanks again
Davadava is offline   Reply With Quote