Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General > 700/900 Series Wants

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Volvo wagon wanted

Views : 1693

Replies : 26

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 29th, 2021, 10:35   #11
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john.wigley View Post
Good explanation, 'L.S.'. It doesn't mean that the term is incorrect, though, just not in context, in much the same way as those 'down under' refer to a pick-up as a 'ute', short for utility.

Regards, John.
I think what Luke was saying John and definitely what i was saying was use the "country-appropriate" term, rather than anything being correct/incorrect. Hence my reference to stateside rocker panels - they have no idea what sills are and get as confused when we call them sills as we do when they call them rocker panels. There are many other American terms for things we have specific names for, one of my favourites is what we call a bum-bag.
To an American, that would sound like a sack to put a vagrant in but once explained to them what is is they realise it's what they call a "fanny-pack".

If i was in Australia i'd call a pick-up a ute and would expect Aussies over here to learn the words "pick-up truck".

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 29th, 2021, 12:20   #12
Wagon Sailor
Junior Senior

What I gather from all this is that someone has come onto the forum looking to buy a car; ie: give one of us some money.
Instead of help, we offer derision over the use of one easily understood word.
Instead of practical advice, we offer a semantics discussion.

------------------------------------------------------
Comfy and roomy but a bit boring. I've had two.
Wagon Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wagon Sailor For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 29th, 2021, 12:34   #13
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wagon Sailor View Post
What I gather from all this is that someone has come onto the forum looking to buy a car; ie: give one of us some money.
Therein lies the rub. Forums are notoriously bad places to buy/sell cars because the majority of the audience already has at least one hence why they're on the forum.

If the OP had been looking more specifically for advice on what to look for or had looked in the Sale section, he might well have found a few cars for sale.

Also there have been a lot of "chancers" on here lately, either trying to sell cars at enormously over-inflated prices or trying to buy at insultingly low prices - most of them have tended to use language typical of antisocial media effluencers.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Old Aug 29th, 2021, 13:19   #14
MiniNinjaRob
Master Member

I’m selling mine but I’d like to know your budget to see if we are on the same page first.
All I need to do is take it through an MOT and clean it and it’s ready to go.
MiniNinjaRob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MiniNinjaRob For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 29th, 2021, 15:10   #15
360beast
Go redblock or go home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wagon Sailor View Post
My very first reply to the thread was constructive.

As is the nature of this section of the forum, quite a few of us know each other personally and are more than happy to go off on a tagent and discuss other things at the same time. I for one have made atleast 6 very good friends through the 7/900 series section who I phone and or message weekly if not daily so it is no wonder this section is happy to discuss semantics as there is no ill feeling towards anyone and we are all here for the same thing... our passion for bricks on wheels.
360beast is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to 360beast For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 29th, 2021, 15:15   #16
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

What Luke said ^^^^^

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 29th, 2021, 16:37   #17
omc 47
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
What Luke said ^^^^^
With reference to the word Wagon the term indicates American tendencies as in the 1961 song "3 wheels on my Wagon" and the term Cherokees refers to Indians which as we all know John Wayne had a lot of trouble with!

The song recounts a hazardous journey made by an American pioneer family aboard a wagon being pursued by Cherokees, with the wagon progressively losing each of its wheels. The song concludes with the Cherokees capturing the wagon, but being asked to "sing along" with the family in the final chorus: "Higgity, haggity hoggety, high. Pioneers, they never say die ..."

All together now.................you at the back......pay attention.
omc 47 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to omc 47 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 29th, 2021, 17:50   #18
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Speaking of Cherokees Andy, the Jeep Cherokee i had was classified in the owners handbook as a "Station Wagon". It was a 1994 model though and these days would almost certainly be classified as an SUV both sides of the pond!

Old Aug 29th, 2021, 18:24   #19
omc 47
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
Speaking of Cherokees Andy, the Jeep Cherokee i had was classified in the owners handbook as a "Station Wagon". It was a 1994 model though and these days would almost certainly be classified as an SUV both sides of the pond!
H Dave,
the Cherokee is classed as "The most American car" and is built in Belvidere, Illinois.
Useless factoids but interesting, l also note they're in bed with Fiat amongst others!!
omc 47 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to omc 47 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 29th, 2021, 22:56   #20
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by omc 47 View Post
H Dave,
the Cherokee is classed as "The most American car" and is built in Belvidere, Illinois.
Useless factoids but interesting, l also note they're in bed with Fiat amongst others!!
That's right Andy, i think mine said Chicago Illinois but might be thinking of the Honda Accord Coupe i had.

There was a merger of Fiat and Chrysler Automobiles to create FCA (Fiat Chrysler Automobile or perhaps Automotive?) but now they have merged with Lancia, Maserati etc and PSA Group in France to create Stellantis, one of the worlds largest manufacturers.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stellantis

Rumour has it the Fiat 500L is a Jeep Renegade with a missing crossmember (only for reinforcement on the Jeep for off-raod use) which is quite scary really!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:

Tags
volvo 940 estate