Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

940 sunroof drains / seal

Views : 1539

Replies : 24

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 22nd, 2021, 09:00   #11
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vickyg View Post
Thanks Bob!

So I'm probably looking for a hole underneath somewhere, that doesn't sound accessible from the top. Always going to be tricky to clear I suspect as even with air you'll just blow any muck back up to clog again. Good job our drive is reasonably steep....!
Try the cubby holes behind the rear wheels, lift the lids and have a look.

That cubby hole there but you won't need to remove all the trim the way i have there.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27th, 2021, 11:18   #12
vickyg

Not sure what I should see in said cubby hole. It does have a drain bung (which is clear) however it does get water in there (not sure how) which then doesn't drain properly if parked uphill. Are you saying the sunroof drains into this area and hopes to escape via the vented bung?

Slight aside but is this plug under same panel for the optional CD changer?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.JPG (43.8 KB, 11 views)
vickyg is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to vickyg For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 27th, 2021, 11:46   #13
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Not sure what I should see in said cubby hole. It does have a drain bung (which is clear) however it does get water in there (not sure how) which then doesn't drain properly if parked uphill. Are you saying the sunroof drains into this area and hopes to escape via the vented bung?

Slight aside but is this plug under same panel for the optional CD changer?
The sunroof drain is a bit above that vent, just behind where the arch joins the wing - i had a look yesterday. Can't get any pics at present (long story but i'm using Windoze again after a long time on Linux and don't have the software to upload pics at the moment) but you should be able to find it if you follow the line of the arch.

I think that's what that plug is for, the optional CD changers varied with year and head unit, i know it isn't for the Philips-derived head unit and CD changer though.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 27th, 2021, 12:38   #14
vickyg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
The sunroof drain is a bit above that vent, just behind where the arch joins the wing - i had a look yesterday. Can't get any pics at present (long story but i'm using Windoze again after a long time on Linux and don't have the software to upload pics at the moment) but you should be able to find it if you follow the line of the arch.

I think that's what that plug is for, the optional CD changers varied with year and head unit, i know it isn't for the Philips-derived head unit and CD changer though.
I'll have another look. Think my year might be Pioneer for the changer. It's a nice to have but far from essential.

Not teaching you to suck eggs but I don't bother with anyupload software these days, just copy and paste image files off the device or memory card.
Old Sep 27th, 2021, 20:27   #15
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
I'll have another look. Think my year might be Pioneer for the changer. It's a nice to have but far from essential.

Not teaching you to suck eggs but I don't bother with anyupload software these days, just copy and paste image files off the device or memory card.
I use a real PC for forum access so need to upload it to that first before uploading it to postimages so i can use the pics on a variety of platforms.

Took me a while to work out what you meant as i can't just copy & paste like that, seeing as thy're two separate devices.

Old Sep 27th, 2021, 20:51   #16
vickyg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
I use a real PC for forum access so need to upload it to that first before uploading it to postimages so i can use the pics on a variety of platforms.

Took me a while to work out what you meant as i can't just copy & paste like that, seeing as thy're two separate devices.
I only ever use a real PC on the forum, PM if you like happy to give IT help after all your Volvo support. If it's a camera or a mobile phone provided you can attach it with a a USB lead (or card reader) you should be able to copy and paste files no problem. I've not used any special upload software for years.

Back to the sunroof, it rained, heavily. I rushed outside to check on all things sunroof related and and could clearly see (and it poured onto the passenger seat again when I turned downhill) that the rain isn't in what I'd call the outer channel (where it can freely drain away down cleared holes) it's somehow found it's way the the inner channel, and therefore the only way out, is in. Thinking a sheet of magnetic sign is the way ahead for the next few weeks anyway...
Old Sep 27th, 2021, 21:10   #17
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
I only ever use a real PC on the forum, PM if you like happy to give IT help after all your Volvo support. If it's a camera or a mobile phone provided you can attach it with a a USB lead (or card reader) you should be able to copy and paste files no problem. I've not used any special upload software for years.

Back to the sunroof, it rained, heavily. I rushed outside to check on all things sunroof related and and could clearly see (and it poured onto the passenger seat again when I turned downhill) that the rain isn't in what I'd call the outer channel (where it can freely drain away down cleared holes) it's somehow found it's way the the inner channel, and therefore the only way out, is in. Thinking a sheet of magnetic sign is the way ahead for the next few weeks anyway...
Ah, right, i'm with you now! I bought a charging lead that has an adptor that lives in the charging socket in the phone - in fact i bought about 3 or 4 charging leads and they're magnetic, round ended animals so connect themselves really easily.

It's a bit of a pain to remove the adaptor in the phone though because it's so tiny - also i'm hoping to get Linux up and running again with a fresh install as soon as i work out how to do it without losing any of the documents i have saved in that disc partition.

Thanks for the offer of IT support on this, i may have to take you up on that if i can't get Linux sorted again without losing the things i have saved.
As for the Volvo help, you're very welcome.

I'm wondering if your sunroof trays have come apart. I've ony seen them together so not sure where they come adrift but apparently the top part comes away from the bottom and causes them to leak. The other thing is that maybe the drain hose has come off the stub on the sunroof tray and/or it's blcoked up there.

Might be easier to drop the headlining, it's a fairly quick job on the estate and might give you an insight iin to what's actually happening.

Old Sep 28th, 2021, 13:58   #18
TonyS9
Premier Member

The glass sunroof leaks because the water makes it way down the inside of the seal and drips into the runner channels which are not drained. The seal fixes to the metal support which rusts, possibly along with the seal re-inforcement that clamps to the edge.

I wasn't aware new seals were still available, but if there is rust its unlikely to help. You can do a good repair using black silicone sealant along the inner edge of the trim and the glass and wrapping it around the gap of the seal join.
TonyS9 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TonyS9 For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 29th, 2021, 08:45   #19
vickyg

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyS9 View Post
The glass sunroof leaks because the water makes it way down the inside of the seal and drips into the runner channels which are not drained. The seal fixes to the metal support which rusts, possibly along with the seal re-inforcement that clamps to the edge.

I wasn't aware new seals were still available, but if there is rust its unlikely to help. You can do a good repair using black silicone sealant along the inner edge of the trim and the glass and wrapping it around the gap of the seal join.
This isn't glass it's metal but possibly the same applies. I've had the old seal off for cleaning and the support doesn't seem rusty thankfully. I've got a new seal on order via Trust Car Parts (former Braydon team) - it's coming in from Classic Volvo in Sweden. Going to check the car now as the storm yesterday was pretty impressive, I hope I don't find a lake....
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vickyg For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 29th, 2021, 09:37   #20
Ian21401
Premier Member

Default That Sunroof Seal.

Vickyg

Hopefully these links have worked.
You may find them useful when you come to replace that seal.

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showt...ight=Moonroof#

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showt...wind+deflector

Since 2005: 1992 Volvo 940 estate 2.0L. Manual. Daily driver and workhorse.
Ian21401 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ian21401 For This Useful Post: