Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V70 Power Steering mystery - Help!

Views : 773

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 23rd, 2021, 13:04   #1
Carsoup
Carsoup

Default V70 Power Steering mystery - Help!

Thanks in advance for the forum which I have helpfully consulted in the past.

I have a 2009 V70 2.0D R design. Its done 240k and I have had it serviced religiously every 12k and so far so good - its a really good reliable car normally

The power steering has become progressively heavier and I recognised I needed to do something more than change the fluid.

The pump was changed - started to make terrible screaming noises from cold and although the power steering was fine for the first few minutes, when it warmed up the steering became very heavy (refused to turn) and was worse than before.

The garage diagnosed pump not working - so got a replacement and at that point they also checked the hoses and blew them out with an air line. This did not make anything worse or better.... so cant be the pump.

They then diagnosed the steering rack - this has been replaced and I have exactly the same issues again, if not worse. Again they checked the hoses were clear, however after it has warmed up the rack locks up......

Any ideas - are hoses collapsing or is there a filter blocking that I cant see? if so given the cost - do I go second hand (the car is worth only a round a thousand) or where can I get replacements??

Any thoughts much appreciated -

Thanks Adrian
Carsoup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23rd, 2021, 21:31   #2
v70norge

Have you cleaned the filter in the power steering reservoir?, or changed the resevoir?
v70norge is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to v70norge For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 24th, 2021, 20:38   #3
minibull
VOC Member

As above, change the reservoir as your next step.
Old Sep 27th, 2021, 12:32   #4
Carsoup
Carsoup

Quote:
Originally Posted by minibull View Post
As above, change the reservoir as your next step.
Thanks for the suggestions - will look to do that next. A
Old Oct 1st, 2021, 16:30   #5
Carsoup
Carsoup

Still no luck!! The reservoir and filter have been thoroughly cleaned and the hose replaced (£268) - it has made no difference. The pump still squeals, the rack is still very heavy almost immovable... I have so far spent £650 on parts and have yet to get the labour bill from the garage. Any more ideas from anyone?

So it has had -

- 2 replacement pumps
- Replacement steering rack (recon)
- High pressure hose

What is left?
Old Oct 1st, 2021, 16:49   #6
Kev0607
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carsoup View Post
Still no luck!! The reservoir and filter have been thoroughly cleaned and the hose replaced (£268) - it has made no difference. The pump still squeals, the rack is still very heavy almost immovable... I have so far spent £650 on parts and have yet to get the labour bill from the garage. Any more ideas from anyone?

So it has had -

- 2 replacement pumps
- High pressure hose

What is left?
Try spraying the universal joint with some lubricant like WD40. Underneath the pedals on the driver’s side, you’ll see the steering shaft joint. Worth a try.

I don’t know why the pump would still be squealing. That doesn’t make sense… sounds like a blockage in the system somewhere, like a valve in the steering rack.

Is the power steering fluid at the right level?
Old Oct 6th, 2021, 02:08   #7
Org

Lubricating the universal joints on the steering column would be the first thing I would do the other thing would be to have the top mounts on the suspension inspected as if worn they can create a lot of friction in the steering
Org is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6th, 2021, 12:16   #8
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carsoup View Post

So it has had -

- 2 replacement pumps
- High pressure hose

What is left?
have you had a pressure test done ? is the pump capable of 120 bar when blocked with the test gear ?
Old Oct 14th, 2021, 22:12   #9
Turbodave
VOC Member

I'd be wary of claiming the filter in the reservoir is clean. I did mine several times - petrol, brake cleaner, Mr Muscle, left it soaking, blew it with the airline and thought that'd do it. My steering was going heavy at idle so yesterday figured I'd rip the filter out with pliers and the gauze was pretty much clogged. I've now got a Ford derived "as new" bottle temporarily fitted... much improved. Don't **** around trying to clean it, buy a new one.
Turbodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21st, 2021, 00:19   #10
taxi driver

I've owned a 2009 & 2010 V70. Both required new steering racks at about 120k. The latest car has done an additional 50k and is now getting heavy on steering for the 2nd time. I read somewhere that the hoses fitted to vehicle around that time suffered from internal break down. I was under the understanding that those particles were causing wear to the steering racks.
taxi driver is offline   Reply With Quote