Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Window only going down 2-3 inches

Views : 363

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 24th, 2021, 17:37   #1
Deckie27

Default Window only going down 2-3 inches

Hi
The drivers window in my 760 just start giving trouble
It used to be fine(with the odd clunk) until the other day it stopped going down fully

I have a video below in youtube

Any help or pointers would be great

Thanks
Declan
https://youtube.com/shorts/xINewdZ63-w?feature=share

[YOUTUBE]xINewdZ63-w[/YOUTUBE]
Deckie27 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Deckie27 For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 24th, 2021, 18:01   #2
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deckie27 View Post
Hi
The drivers window in my 760 just start giving trouble
It used to be fine(with the odd clunk) until the other day it stopped going down fully

I have a video below in youtube

Any help or pointers would be great

Thanks
Declan
https://youtube.com/shorts/xINewdZ63-w?feature=share

[YOUTUBE]xINewdZ63-w[/YOUTUBE]
Two probable causes here, first is that either the bolts that hold the motor/front end of the regulator have come adrift but it doesn't look that way or the window glass has come out of the channel it sits in/the channel has come off the regulator.

On the back end of the channel, you can see there's a slot and a pin on the channel that sits in the slot. There's a spring clip, a bit like a circlip crossed with a captive nut to look at but no thread, it simply slides onto a groove in the pin. Look in the bottom of the door for this clip and refit if that's the case.

If as i suspect the glass has come out of the channel, you'll need to order a piece of rubber from Volvo, it's about £12 and has to come from Sweden, i have the part number somewhere.

When you get it, the fun really starts! Lower the window as much as you can and lift the glass out of the channel, tip the front end down and wriggle it upwards and out of the door.
Then unclip the two clips holding the channel to the regulator and remove the channel.

Meanwhile have the rubber strip soaking in seriously hot (but not quite boiling) water.

Now for the scary bit! I used the load deck in the back as something large, flat and sort of cushioned (carpet). Place the glass with the outside down to the carpet, it's curved so the top and bottom of the glass will be a short distance off the carpet with the centre of the glass on the carpet.
Now retrieve the rubber from its swimming lesson and fold it lengthways along the bottom edge of the glass, using the witness marks from the original as a guide. Now offer the channel up to the glass (the lugs are sided on the bottom of the channel, note their orientation before you remove the glass/channel and ensure you locate it the same way) and grab your wooden or rubber mallet, place one hadn in the centre of the glass and beat that channel onto the rubber and glass.

As i said, it's the scary bit!

Once it's on there (you may have to get one end then the other then coax it with well aimed mallet blows to get it all the way on evenly) then refit the glass by dropping it front end first into the door then the back end, make sure you get the glass into the vertical channels built inot the door and then gently bend the regulator arms to get the pins into the slots and refit the clips.

Test and then if working ok, wind it down and lubricate the vertical channels by squirting silicone lube spray into the channels at the top then "exercise" the window up and down a few times to distribute the silicone lube.

Finally refit your door card and have a large dram!

Part number for the rubber is 1268231, it's about 550mm long - any less and the window slips out during use!

Oh yeah, for the first few days, DON'T completely close the window, just do it up so it's just inside the channel at the top of the door frame. Any further and the channel is likely to grip it and pull it out of the rubber which is lubricated from the water - after a few days the water should dry out and the rubber should grip the glass nicely.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 24th, 2021, 18:30   #3
Deckie27

Thanks Laird Scooby for a massive post.

So yip window must of poped out of runner and got stuck in a wrong position

For now lowered the window an inch. pulled the glass up and out of runner
move the regulator up and down a couple of times then sent it right up into the glass all working good now

Time to order the rubber and come back to visit the scary part of your post

Cheers again

Last edited by Deckie27; Sep 24th, 2021 at 19:30.
Old Sep 24th, 2021, 20:35   #4
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deckie27 View Post
Thanks Laird Scooby for a massive post.

So yip window must of poped out of runner and got stuck in a wrong position

For now lowered the window an inch. pulled the glass up and out of runner
move the regulator up and down a couple of times then sent it right up into the glass all working good now

Time to order the rubber and come back to visit the scary part of your post

Cheers again
Apparently once they pop out once from the rubber, they continue to do it so a wise move ordering the new rubber. I know there was only about 4" on the back end of mine holding the glass in place but that certainly behaved the same way.

It sounds scary whacking the channel onto the window but it's the only way with a new rubber and not quite as bad as it sounds.

Good luck with it when you come to do it anyway! Purely out of curiosity, is that already a replacement window? I ask because mine has had a new drivers door glass at some point and i suspect they could only manage to get part of the rubber back in, hence the problems i had.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 25th, 2021, 10:10   #5
Deckie27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
Purely out of curiosity, is that already a replacement window? I ask because mine has had a new drivers door glass at some point and i suspect they could only manage to get part of the rubber back in, hence the problems i had.
Glass not replaced in my ownership but the 4-5 bits of glass I found in the bottom of the door would suggest so. 😁
Old Sep 25th, 2021, 10:51   #6
jpliddy
VOC Member

Default front drivers window

hi my drivers window failed the rivets had failed which leads to other issues .
i got a complete window regulator and riveted it back drilling new holes you can get 2 new rivets in each of the 4 fixing points large rivets 4.2 mm i think ,take your time ,glass comes out fairly easy first then before it all goes back get a can of silence spray for the 2 channels that the window slides up in go as far downas you can a straw on the can gives better access too , there always some one selling a regulator on ebay !
jpliddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jpliddy For This Useful Post: