Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Petrol leak

Views : 1910

Replies : 25

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 26th, 2021, 17:49   #11
Kevin_L

Hi

Point noted about panic buying

I normally put anywhere from£30 to£40 in and nowadays rarely fill right up.... Though even now with £30ish I've started to smell it

It's just bad timing that on Saturday I had to drive from London to Birmingham and come Thursday there was only 90 miles left according to the computer

So I calmly went to a petrol station .... Big queues..... And as luck would have it they all wanted diesel and believe it or not some drivers wouldn't drag a hose to the 'wrong' side of their car to fill up.... Which I do all the time and£80 later I was out in 10minutes..... Smell of petrol but no leaks....

On the way back.....a petrol station with only a few cars in so I filled up again. ..... It was here as i was filling up that obviously the hose wasn't all the way into the filler neck that it over filled.... An accident..... That's when it dripped onto the floor

I think mine is a leaky breather pipe too....

And where did the overflow pipe vent to??
Kevin_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27th, 2021, 11:53   #12
volvo again
Master Member

I don't understand why some drivers must have the fuel filler next to the pumps. the hose is long enough to reach over the car as long as you park fairly close, Ive 'jumped' the queue many time by doing this...
Old Sep 27th, 2021, 12:19   #13
stuart bowes
trying to be helpful

it's usually fine with the ones that pull out on a reel and spring back in, but the fixed ones that are attached high up tend to have a bit less range I find

I don't even stop to think which side is it, just pull up one side or the other.. get in the habit of lining up the back end of the car with the pump handle and close to the kerb and it always reaches

-------------------------
mini project - link
stuart bowes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27th, 2021, 18:13   #14
Kevin_L

Ok.... So this hole below the filler..... Which I assume is an overflow.... Where does it overflow to??
Old Sep 27th, 2021, 18:48   #15
stuart bowes
trying to be helpful

diagram doesn't show it connecting to anything?

I assume this is the bit you're referring to

someone else might come along and correct this but my guess is just a little drain to the outside world, just to stop any liquid collecting there which wouldn't really be any serious quantity anyway

is it on the inside behind the cap, or the outside of the cap, im assuming outside

mini project - link
The Following User Says Thank You to stuart bowes For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 27th, 2021, 20:50   #16
Kevin_L

That's a very useful diagram

And yes that's it

So part 11.... On mine .. and I assume everyone else's.... It seems to me a metal pipe.... And there are much thinner rubber pipes alongside.... It is one of these...or both of them... That appear wet with fuel

Though I can seem to identify on the diagram?

And the bottom of the wheel well... On the outside obviously... Was wet with fuel.... So as of it had leaked onto the bodywork and found the lowest point and dripped
Old Sep 27th, 2021, 22:36   #17
MScustomflies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin_L View Post
That's a very useful diagram

And yes that's it

So part 11.... On mine .. and I assume everyone else's.... It seems to me a metal pipe.... And there are much thinner rubber pipes alongside.... It is one of these...or both of them... That appear wet with fuel

Though I can seem to identify on the diagram?

And the bottom of the wheel well... On the outside obviously... Was wet with fuel.... So as of it had leaked onto the bodywork and found the lowest point and dripped
On mine it's part no26 on the diagram above mot that yours is going to be the same part but it seems 23 and 26 are the cause of common fuel filler/leak problems. I obtained both genuine volvo parts from ebay for mot a lot of money
Old Sep 27th, 2021, 22:39   #18
MScustomflies

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GENUINE-V...-127635-2958-0

Same seller has both parts, hopefully that link works from my phone
Old Sep 27th, 2021, 22:43   #19
stuart bowes
trying to be helpful

23 and 26 are the two I replaced, it was 23 that had the big hole in the underside

part 11 is all one part with the smaller tube included https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/324755130...wAAOSwl3tfBF7C part number 8624704

some pics there might help to identify

(the rubber bits on the end in that case are separate items obviously just left on by the breaker, you'd replace them before fitting it)

again that little drain hole doesnt seem to have anything connected so may just be a drip hole. if enough goes that way i suppose it might end up running down the outside of the metal piping?

if there was a leak anywhere it seems logical to assume it'll be one of the rubber parts

mini project - link

Last edited by stuart bowes; Sep 27th, 2021 at 22:49.
Old Sep 28th, 2021, 01:56   #20
Kevin_L

Yes the link did work

And the thinner pipes at the top of the metal pipe too me seem to be the ones that are wet

So they are all one part?

Now I assume this is just as difficult to remove/replace as every other part associated with the petrol tank!!!!