Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

2014 v60 Adaptive Display Standard?

Views : 1037

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 8th, 2019, 09:23   #1
clonius

Default 2014 v60 Adaptive Display Standard?

Hi,

Should all 2014 v60's have the Adaptive Digital Display?

I ask as I am looking at purchasing a secondhand v60. I am focusing around 2014. For that year some cars seem to have it and some don't.

Was the Adaptive display initially included as part of a higher spec or should it be standard for 2014 v60s?

I look forward to learning more.
clonius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8th, 2019, 09:47   #2
Bendolfc
Premier Member

The non lux models (or maybe just the more basic ones) had the same shaped dash but with analogue dials, really looks cheap and nasty compared with the pre facelift dials.
Bendolfc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8th, 2019, 10:04   #3
ShamusUK

The Active TFT Display was standard on SE Lux and R-Design models. It was also available on all other models as a £350 extra.

For me, it was a 'must-have' option. Although it's quite minimalist in design, it displays most of everything you need. If you have a Nav model, the lower part of the central screen also shows the turn-by-turn directions.

Some things such as Music Track Display, Phone Calls/Contacts etc are surprisingly missing from the display. Maybe they'll update it someday, if they have any developers working on their legacy platforms.

Anyway, hope that helps.
ShamusUK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ShamusUK For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 8th, 2019, 10:11   #4
clonius

Thanks for the replies. Thy are useful

I test drove a V60 SE LUX Nav and really liked the display and spec of that car.
That particular one had some issues so passed on it.

I found the exact same spec but unfortunately the colour is not what I am looking for.

Currently looking at an SE which has the previous display and lesser features but is a nice car.

Might look at retrofitting it at a later date. Seems straight forward.
Old Mar 8th, 2019, 10:27   #5
ShamusUK

Retrofitting is not really straight-forward.

True, the main unit is plug-and-play, and 80% of the display will work.

However, the smaller gauges, geartronic display etc will not work. I came across a few YouTube videos whilst I was researching my purchase. Nobody got beyond 80% working.

I've just moved from a BMW 3-Series and you can upgrade just about every component of that car. If something was missing, just buy it, fit it and code it. In contrast, newer Volvos don't appear to be particularly mod-friendly.

My advice would be to find a car with the TFT Display already in place from the factory.
Old Mar 8th, 2019, 12:44   #6
clonius

Thanks ShamusUK.

Yes saw the videos. Looks like you would need to involve Volvo Service to complete the task successfully.

I did come across the post below which claims to have successfully done it on an older car. Maybe same year car will have less issues.
Leaving it here in case anybody stumbles this way:
https://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...-2011-2013-S60

Now I am wondering do I really need a TFT instrument cluster? other than its adaptability to display different things and change theme is there any real benefit without Nav?

I will be moving from a 2004 V50 so I think the upgrade alone without the TFT display will be enough.
Old Mar 8th, 2019, 15:12   #7
ShamusUK

True, the TFT display might be a luxury, and a possible retrofit.

But remember that the SE Lux models also come with Xenon Headlights. I personally think these are a necessity, and a big improvement over the standard headlights.

Might be worth being patient... unless you are in a rush.
Old Mar 8th, 2019, 18:59   #8
dhr90

I own a similar age V60 SE Lux Nav. For me the TFT display, and being an SE Lux Nav were musts. The xenons really are as good as people say. Brilliant at night and I would say better than the LED’s on a 1 year old 3 series hire car I had a few weeks back.
The TFT display for me made it feel more advanced, a nicer place to be and gave more adaptability and information such as satnav guidance as mentioned before. The analogue dual really did look very cheap on the Business Edition I test drove, didn’t like it at all.
With Nav you get a larger centre display which made the layout appear much nicer I felt and I like having it built in.

I wouldn’t be without the driver pack or winter pack now I have them too! Adaptive cruise is brilliant on an auto gearbox, mine goes straight on when I hit a dual carriageway. Love the heated screen in mornings and the heated seats too.

Personally I also had beige interior and a sunroof as musts. They make the inside feel a lot larger, airy and just a nicer place to be.

I was looking for nearly 6 months before mine appeared at a dealer an hour away.
Old Mar 9th, 2019, 18:50   #9
DT19
Master Member

The guys at Vdash have a working solution for retrofitting the TFT display in most non TFT models. You'll need to find a working TFT from a car with similar spec as yours, auto, petrol etc. They have some software you need on your laptop and then they'll guide you through the process. I know a few have done it successfully.
DT19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9th, 2019, 22:53   #10
steadvex
Master Member

we've fitted TFT dash's for people, sadly Volvo have upped the price, used to be very cost effective for the part + programming, I think its close to £700 last time I priced one

if you fit a new one it has to programmed via VIDA, it works as if it was fitted from the factory, I think used ones have to have a lower mileage than the car has, or I might of imagined that... I'm sure when I was looking into it there was something weird about fitting used ones..
steadvex is offline   Reply With Quote