Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

D4 VEA 'check engine' light / EGR fault thread

Views : 600417

Replies : 2691

Users Viewing This Thread : Lojzek

Old May 31st, 2018, 15:54   #1771
craigv60
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pas12345 View Post
Iain... the last 3 years they exchanged the egr cooler twice and egr valve and now gone again ?

Nigel...no i have not got that who do i ask the volvo garage who has done the work? Much appreciated all the help and advice of you both

If either the EGR valve or cooler have failed and the previous replacements were done at a Volvo main dealer, go back to the Volvo dealer that did the most recent work, as they supplied the parts and supposedly did the work to Volvo's standards.

You may have to pay a diagnostic charge for the full diagnosis but the rest of the work should be at no charge to you, and you can also argue for the diagnostic charge to be repaid.

If the previous EGR fixes were not done by a Volvo dealer, then you'd be on your own, unfortunately.
craigv60 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to craigv60 For This Useful Post:
Old May 31st, 2018, 16:06   #1772
Pas12345
Jacksprat

Craigv60.... The work was done under warranty with Volvo local main dealer... Now the warranty has run out and they have diagnosed the egr cooler again?
Pas12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2018, 21:01   #1773
craigv60
Master Member

In that case, ring up the dealer that did the fixes, speak to the service manager, and point out calmly but firmly that the so-called permanent EGR 'fix' has not worked on your car, and demand they fix it again at no cost to you as the fix is either not fit for purpose, or was not done correctly.

If the dealer refuses, go straight to Volvo UK customer services with the dates and mileages of when the fixes were done, and state that you feel extremely disappointed that Volvo is evidently not honouring a commitment to loyal owners to rectify such common, frequently-occurring faults on what should be a premium, reliable car.
craigv60 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to craigv60 For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 1st, 2018, 13:02   #1774
iain cooper

if you've had the final definitive fix done and the problem is back, then that's bad news for a lot of us !!

Iain
Old Jun 1st, 2018, 16:39   #1775
volvo for ever
Premier Member

I've read various issues can cause cooler to clog up wether it's swirl manifold motor ,sized sticky egr. Intake sensor

Have the hoses been changed ?? They should have been done at least 2nd time car was in .this ..
Say to them that you want a 3way cooler same as Spa xc90 they don't give any faults as fins holes larger and don't clog .
Did they check cylinder leakage test as per Volvo tj if not why not.

I wouldn't pay diagnostic charge get onto customer relations this is on going fault they made not you
volvo for ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1st, 2018, 22:32   #1776
NigelDay
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pas12345 View Post
Nigel...no i have not got that who do i ask the volvo garage who has done the work? Much appreciated all the help and advice of you both
Any Volvo dealer should be able to get you a printout of the 'service actions'.
2015: XC60 D4 FWD SE Lux Nav 190hp manual, Osmium Grey, 17" Segin, Tempa, Winter Illumination, Security, Family, DSP, 4C, HK Sound, Subwoofer, Front Parking, Rear Camera, Dark Tinted, Power Passenger Seat, Speed and Heated Steering.
NigelDay is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NigelDay For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 2nd, 2018, 13:25   #1777
volvo for ever
Premier Member

Policy actions even if done ECM-P04D900 ,can still give problem even after cooler changed twice it need to be fitted with 3way cooler

New hose kit should have been done last time also ECM sw up to date ask you dealer what's actually be done and update
volvo for ever is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to volvo for ever For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 6th, 2018, 06:36   #1778
John90

Default Egr

Hi all,

Am about to collect a September 2015 S60 D3 R-design Lux Nav, probably tomorrow from a non-volvo dealer. Can anyone please tell me if this will be susceptible to this issue and how I determine if an approved fix has already been done?

Thanks in advance

John
John90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6th, 2018, 10:31   #1779
RoyMacDonald
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John90 View Post
Hi all,

Am about to collect a September 2015 S60 D3 R-design Lux Nav, probably tomorrow from a non-volvo dealer. Can anyone please tell me if this will be susceptible to this issue and how I determine if an approved fix has already been done?

Thanks in advance

John
The answer is in the thread title "D4 VEA"

2014 D3 is a different engine with 5 cylinders but in 2015 it was changed to a 4 cylinder VEA (still different to the D4) engine so you need to find out which engine it has for a more definitive answer and look at the appropriate topics for that engine. (don't assume because of the registration date that it is a 2015 model. It's when it was made that counts)

Roy
Old Jun 6th, 2018, 21:55   #1780
John90

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyMacDonald View Post
The answer is in the thread title "D4 VEA"

2014 D3 is a different engine with 5 cylinders but in 2015 it was changed to a 4 cylinder VEA (still different to the D4) engine so you need to find out which engine it has for a more definitive answer and look at the appropriate topics for that engine. (don't assume because of the registration date that it is a 2015 model. It's when it was made that counts)

Roy

Thank you for the reply, I missed the fact it was for D4's only, was just looking quickly before going to work. It is the 148bhp engine with £20 tax rating, which makes it the newer engine I believe? I will look for a suitable thread for that, thanks again
John90 is offline   Reply With Quote