Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Performance Volvo Cars
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Performance Volvo Cars A forum for those interested in any Volvo performance car from any era, FWD, RWD and AWD!

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Oil consumption

Views : 4916

Replies : 20

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 5th, 2015, 11:29   #11
Fill

Thanks.

I live in England so it is usually cold and wet. I am doing my own oil consumption test at the moment. When I bought the car it was overfilled. Not by a massive amount but it dropped to maximum very quickly. In about 500 miles. Since then I have done about 300 miles and it has stayed at maximum. I don't drive hard but have given it a few tickles. I will see what the reading is after 1000 miles.
How much oil does it take to take the level from minimum (on the dipstick) to maximum? I am guessing half a litre?
Fill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5th, 2015, 17:11   #12
100K+
Premier Member

Default V 70 T5 Manual

My recently deceased V70 T5 used approx. 1 pint per 1000 miles from about 100K. I never minded about it. My AWD R (97K) uses a little less say 2 pints/3000 miles.

You don't have a problem....

Enjoy

Cheers

Bob
100K+ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6th, 2015, 13:01   #13
Fill

Thanks. Seems that oil consumption is quite usual on these then.
Can I ask, why did your recently deceased T5, decease?
Old Apr 16th, 2015, 12:35   #14
Welton
Premier Member

I have owned my 2005 S40 T5 for 6 years and asked on here about the oil consumption and got conflicting results. Some said there's never used a drop between services.

I do 8000 miles a year and have always needed to use a 1ltr top up bottle between the 12-monthly service.

Interestingly I sometimes find that the level drops to half way between Min-Max but kinda stays there. I've also found that increased motorway use at high speed uses more oil.

History says that all Turbo'd petrol engine will use oil as it gets past the turbo seals (which helps things out anyway). I'd say that as long as you aren't topping up weekly or can actually see blue smoke then everything is within spec. The thin oil grade doesn't help consumption but does help cold starts.
2018 Infiniti Q30 1.6T Business Executive (what's this button do?)
Welton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25th, 2015, 17:27   #15
Fill

I was told by the owners that it had always used one litre to every 1000 miles.
I have done my own tests and actually, it is using more than one litre to every 1000 miles. I am really cross about this as it was obviously a lie.

Anyway. It seems to use more oil if you accelerate hard. I am thinking the turbo is the problem but of course, there is no definitive and conclusive way of being certain. So, how common, or likely are engine problems (turbo aside) on the 2.4 2006 T5?
Also, assuming it is the turbo, how much would a replacement turbo cost me? Is it an easy job to replace? Could I do it on the ground?
Old May 5th, 2015, 15:53   #16
brickman
Premier Member

If your loosing more than 1/1000miles and its not dropping out the bottom you'd certainly be smelling it in the exhaust.

An easy suspect is turbo oil seals, drop your boost hoses and intercooler. Exhaust side could be ****ing oil but nothing show up in hoses so don't jump to any quick conclusions on it, also inside of hoses will be fairly manky anyways. Intercooler shouldn't have a puddle of oil in it though, but you might find it does
Old May 8th, 2015, 20:00   #17
Fill

Well oil lamp came on again today. Just 500 miles after topping it up again. I am going to take the pipes off tomorrow but am somewhat limited on what I can do as I am recovering from an operation still.

Is the turbo easy to replace? Does anyone know of any good suppliers of turbos? A turbo from Volvo is £900.
Old May 8th, 2015, 20:15   #18
Fill

What I do not understand is why there is no smoke at all. Or any trace of oil in the tail pipe. I did notice a very slight smell after accelerating at full throttle in third up to 4500 rpm but there is no leak. I have run the engine with the oil cap off. No pressure. Just a very slight vacuum.
Old May 9th, 2015, 13:46   #19
Fill

Just been having a closer look. The turbo appears to be ok. No oil in the intercooler.
I did find the breather hose that goes to the rocker cover broken.the rocker cover was also full of oil under the plastic cover. I am not sure if this is the source of my oil consumption though because everywhere below it is bone dry and would a broken breather hose really lose one litre of oil every 500 miles?! I find it hard to believe. Clearly it needs sorting though. I cannot get a breather hose now until at least next Friday so I will go and buy some hose and make one so I can at least use the car.
One question, what needs to be removed to get to the bottom clip? I think I may be able to get to it if I take out the airbox and reach across under the inlet manifold.
Old May 9th, 2015, 20:39   #20
Fill

Fitted a universal hose in place for now until I can get the proper part. Did 40 miles and all seems well so far.. Hopefully by next weekend I will know if it is cured or not.