Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > V40/XC '12>17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Decisions decisions SE LUX Nav or R Design Lux nav

Views : 8073

Replies : 10

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 23rd, 2015, 10:46   #1
mrboroman

Default Decisions decisions SE LUX Nav or R Design Lux nav

HI All,

I have the option on which car i want for work and i have decided its between the xc60 Rdesign Nav with Family pack and winter pack.

Thats fine as thats right at the top of my budget..

I am thinking maybe i dont need such a big car but i cant decide which v40 to consider in comparison.

I have made the following packages up but is there really that big a difference between rdesign Lux Nav and SE Lux Nav, or even just the standard r design, what are the autos like and are they really worth it???

Also is there really much difference between the leather seats in se lux over r design lux, part of me just loves the standard r design seats

These are the 4 i have specced up , opinons please.

R Design Lux Nav Manual D4

Auto dimming rear view mirror
Dark tinted rear side windows
Flexible Load Floor+ Grocery Bag Hldr
Pcc Personal Car Cmnctr+Kyls Drve
Power child locks on rear doors
Winter pack - V40 - SE Lux
Xenium pack - V40
Metallic paint
R Design leather sports upholstery

R Design Nav G/T auto D4
Comfort Pack - V40
Gearshift paddles
Rain sensor windscreen wipers
Winter pack - V40
Xenium pack - V40
Special solid paint
R Design nubuk sports upholstery

Or Even

SE Lux nav

ACTVE TFT CRYSTAL DRVRS INSTMNT DSPLY
17" Spider alloy wheels £0.00 £0.00
Winter pack - V40 - SE Lux
Xenium pack - V40
Metallic paint
Leather upholstery

Or SE LUX Nav G/t

ACTVE TFT CRYSTAL DRVRS INSTMNT DSPLY
Adjustable steering wheel force
Gearshift paddles
17" Spider alloy wheels
Xenium pack - V40
Metallic paint
Leather upholstery

Or even

R Design Nav

Comfort Pack - V40
Cruise control
Flexible Load Floor+ Grocery Bag Hldr
Rain sensor windscreen wipers
WNTR ILLMNTN PK - V40 - R DSGN
Xenium pack - V40
Metallic paint £550.00 £0.00
R Design nubuk sports upholstery £0.00 £0.00

Last edited by mrboroman; Jul 23rd, 2015 at 11:09.
mrboroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25th, 2015, 22:54   #2
CY83

Not the reply you are expecting but it is very much an individual decision. If it was down to me I would have the R-Design Lux all day long in either auto or manual.

Power Blue or Rebel blue are my choice colours at the moment.
CY83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25th, 2015, 23:55   #3
Marc01

I went for your first option, the R Design Lux Nav Manual D4
Only difference that I can see is I did not spec the PCC or metallic opting for the free Ice White (just thought it looked good with tints and the panoramic roof)

The target price for that was 26/27k new.

I am a bit old fashioned? So never considered an auto I actually still enjoy shifting through the gears myself so this is a personal choice, when researching the autos did not seem as sporting as other makes like VW dsg boxes with no experience myself I could not say.

In terms of RDesign over SE lux nav, it's all about body styling with the D4 as they are the same chassis so will handle the same unless you spec the sports pack. There are a few other subtle differences but I cannot remember now, so which looks better to you?

A few opinions of my own, adjustable steering force seems a novelty, it's electric so it will do little for the actual feel, just change the weight, so in my opinion not really worth it as once you've found the weight you like your unlikely to ever change it.

Seats I do not think there is any difference between SE and RDesign other than look, they are not Recaros!

At the end of the day budget and choice is yours. If it was me I would go for the RDesign Lux Nav manual D4, ditch the PCC and metallic paint and go for the premium sound. But that's me. Although the high performance sound as standard on the lux nav is very good.
Marc01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26th, 2015, 10:09   #4
I-S
Premier Member

If it was me, however, I'd definitely go SE Lux auto.

I had a V40 R-Design as a courtesy car while our V70 was being serviced. It was the most stupid thing that I've ever driven. What suspension? It crashed and banged over potholes and bumps and was incredibly uncomfortable because of it.

In other respects it was a better car than others in the class that I've driven (like the golf, leon, etc), such as interior, etc. However, the ride just could not be overlooked. I was driving down the last bit of road back to the dealer quite literally saying (out loud) "Dear god please make it stop".

I couldn't deal with the ride on that car for a grand total of 24 miles. If I were to select it for myself as a company vehicle then I'd be in for a very regretful and painful 3 years.
I-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26th, 2015, 10:29   #5
Considered1
Premier Member

Just checking you are indeed looking at a 40 as your first post says xc60
Considered1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26th, 2015, 10:35   #6
Marc01

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-S View Post
If it was me, however, I'd definitely go SE Lux auto.

I had a V40 R-Design as a courtesy car while our V70 was being serviced. It was the most stupid thing that I've ever driven. What suspension? It crashed and banged over potholes and bumps and was incredibly uncomfortable because of it.

In other respects it was a better car than others in the class that I've driven (like the golf, leon, etc), such as interior, etc. However, the ride just could not be overlooked. I was driving down the last bit of road back to the dealer quite literally saying (out loud) "Dear god please make it stop".

I couldn't deal with the ride on that car for a grand total of 24 miles. If I were to select it for myself as a company vehicle then I'd be in for a very regretful and painful 3 years.
The SE Lux and RDesign have exactly the same chassis, the RDesign package is purely cosmetic with no difference in chassis set-up as both use the dynamic chassis (unless you choose a D2 which has a touring chassis). Obviously wheel size can make a difference I have 17" on mine and yes the ride is a little firmer but not as bad as say 18" rims and perfectly comfortable, not quite as compliant as our Mk7 Golf on 16" rims.

Maybe the courtesy car you had was fitted with the optional 18" rims and sports suspension, or you drove a D2 which as standard for some reason has a standard sports suspension set-up.
Old Jul 26th, 2015, 14:41   #7
I-S
Premier Member

It was indeed a D2 and had 18"s.

If the other R-design models are less idiotically harsh then that's good, but I'd make absolutely sure that the ride quality is acceptable before signing on the dotted line.
I-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26th, 2015, 15:17   #8
Marc01

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-S View Post
It was indeed a D2 and had 18"s.

If the other R-design models are less idiotically harsh then that's good, but I'd make absolutely sure that the ride quality is acceptable before signing on the dotted line.
Yeah it is strange decision by Volvo to put sports suspension as standard on a D2 RDesign being as it's the least powerful in the line up, I heard it is because the D2 in other trims uses the touring chassis which is higher than the dynamic, so they lowered and firmed it up as standard in RDesign trim. The D2 RDesign cannot be specced with the sports suspension and coupled with 18" it is stupidly stiff, some drivers like it that way so again personal choice.

I found sports suspension option pointless it hardly lowers the stance so does not improve the looks, firm ride does not make it a better more sporting ride, on rough pot hole riddled undulating roads you want som compliance to soak up the bumps and keep the tyres on the road.
Again my personal preference others may find a hard ride more relaxing.

Last edited by Marc01; Jul 26th, 2015 at 15:42.
Old Jul 26th, 2015, 15:24   #9
chiptivo
Premier Member

I have the D2 R, and initially I thought it was too stiff on poor roads. But I had found out the dealer set my tyres up with ECO pressures, a ridiculous 38psi.
I have now switched to standard 33psi all round, and it is fine.
Old Jul 29th, 2015, 21:45   #10
mrboroman

Well thanks guys. I loved the v40. But have decided on a more basic xc 60. I would also have picked the rd lix auto had i gone for it.
I didnt like the handbrake but thats all.

I just decided to go for the bigger car
mrboroman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mrboroman For This Useful Post: