Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Tyre Wear

Views : 3840

Replies : 31

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 23rd, 2016, 19:03   #1
RSVolvo

Default Tyre Wear

I’ve got a S60 D3 (13 plate) and have just noticed uneven wear on the front offside tyre. Basically the tread in the middle is still very good, but there is severe wear on the inside edge and also wear on the outside edge. I took it into KwikFit and they said the wear was typical of some high powered diesels and mentioned BMW and Mercedes, but had not come across it on a Volvo. Has anyone else had this? Is it typical of the S60 or is there something wrong with the set up on mine and what could it be. I’ve got it booked in for the dealer to look at, but does anyone here have any suggestions?

I have also had a history with the tyres. About 15 months ago I was driving on the motorway when I felt the steering go as if I had lost pressure in a tyre. Later on the journey going over a speed bump I heard a pop and when I got to my destination the front offside tyre was completely flat. On inspection it had worn through completely on the inside edge. On taking it to KwikFit to be replaced they found the front nearside tyre with similar wear and both were replaced. The wear on the main tread was still good despite the tyres having done nearly 27k. KwikFit suggested the reason was poor tracking and when checked did find it slightly out and corrected it. I thought this was the cause of the problem so thought no more about it. In the time since I have had to replace the front nearside tyre twice (once after hitting debris on the motorway and once when I moved to the side of the road to pass another car and the wheel went off the tarmac into a rut –the walls of the tyres are very weak). Each time I’ve had the tracking checked, so know it’s not been out for any length of time. Funnily enough I’m up to about 25k on the front offside tyre so it does suggest the reason is the same as before and it’s existed since I bought the car.

So is it inherent in the set up of the car and I have to accept replacing the tyres every 25k or so (which I suppose isn’t really that bad), or do I have a problem with my car?

The tyres are P7 Cinturatos
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Tyre 2a.jpg (165.6 KB, 75 views)
RSVolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23rd, 2016, 19:15   #2
GMcL
0's and 1's

Pretty typical response from KwikFit quoting two rear wheel drive cars as some kind of norm for a front wheel driver.

If the shoulder wear was even on both sides then I would have said the tyre was under pressure, if this is not the case then the tracking needs checking especially as you've had an incident with motorway debris (I don't think the grass verge would have done much damage unless you were trying to do some kind of rally driving).
I'd seek out a reputable laser alignment company rather than KF.

Previous: 2005 Volvo S60 D5 Sport - 2017 Focus RS
GMcL is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GMcL For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 23rd, 2016, 19:16   #3
bigcj

I get about 25,000 miles out of my front tyres, with a mix of motorway and town driving. I stay well clear of my local Kwikfit due to very poor experience of their knowledge and customer relations, I tend to use my Volvo main dealer who price match any local quote and they take far more care of those precious alloys.
bigcj is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bigcj For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 23rd, 2016, 20:04   #4
GJB
Premier Member

Look for a Hunter or equivalent laser system to get your tracking etc checked you will find it is worth every penny.
MY10 XC90 D5 R design Red MY04 XC90 D5 SE RED
95 940 2 ltr D Silver Auto /84 740 2ltr D Red
GJB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GJB For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 23rd, 2016, 21:29   #5
Considered1
Premier Member

I suppose we'd all like even tyre wear but to be frank you have surpassed my expectations, 25k miles out of a Pirelli tyre deserves a medal imho. I ditched mine at 18,000
Considered1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Considered1 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 23rd, 2016, 21:44   #6
Stevelimabravo

I've got a 63 plate v60 D3 and at around 30k heard a rubbing noise from around the wheel arch, I found that @25cm wide strip of tyre had started to come away, managed to find a tyre place nearby and found same happening on the other side too. This was only a couple of months after last dealer service, they had flagged uneven wear but not needing replacement. Tracking was also checked and almost perfect. There was still 3mm of tread left across rest of tyre, keep your eyes on that inner edge.
The Following User Says Thank You to Stevelimabravo For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 23rd, 2016, 21:54   #7
GMcL
0's and 1's

Must be a facelift thing, despite the many faults I have had with my car, uneven tyre wear is not one.

Previous: 2005 Volvo S60 D5 Sport - 2017 Focus RS
GMcL is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GMcL For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 25th, 2016, 00:05   #8
Victor c

My 2014 D3 V60 has also shown wear on the front insides at 26000 miles (down to canvas) 😟
Victor c is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Victor c For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 25th, 2016, 10:29   #9
GJB
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor c View Post
My 2014 D3 V60 has also shown wear on the front insides at 26000 miles (down to canvas) ��
Looks as if you have tracking problems and 4 wheel alignment
MY10 XC90 D5 R design Red MY04 XC90 D5 SE RED
95 940 2 ltr D Silver Auto /84 740 2ltr D Red

Last edited by GJB; Feb 25th, 2016 at 12:38.
GJB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GJB For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 25th, 2016, 11:29   #10
Ninja59
Probably Akita's Toyboy..

More than likely to much camber possibly toe you need a 4 wheel alignment really ideally a hunter machine. Fixing the "tracking" wont resolve the problem.
Ninja59 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ninja59 For This Useful Post: