Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

front Top Strut bearing Mount

Views : 845

Replies : 10

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 22nd, 2019, 23:37   #1
davebb
Premier Member

Default front Top Strut bearing Mount

Hi has anyone had problems with cheap front Top Strut bearing Mounts
as the prices very a lot,
Thanks Dave
davebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2019, 00:51   #2
ThomasG
Aka MadBabs

Yes.

Lots of people I've seen here.

Thus, as I'm about to have mine changed- I'll go for OEMS or look up current OEM supplier for volvo and get them directly, saving quite big cost of blue Volvo box they would cone in if I bought from dealer.
ThomasG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2019, 01:05   #3
davebb
Premier Member

Hi Thanks I am just fitting koni front shocks, and testing the top bearing mounts I have found that the bearings do not run very smooth but when in use the steering was very good,
The rubber spring seats are still like new,
Dave
Old May 23rd, 2019, 01:14   #4
bkulcsar

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebb View Post
Hi Thanks I am just fitting koni front shocks, and testing the top bearing mounts I have found that the bearings do not run very smooth but when in use the steering was very good,
The rubber spring seats are still like new,
Dave
There is a video on youtube (made by oragex/Peppermint) about greasing the bearings...
The Following User Says Thank You to bkulcsar For This Useful Post:
Old May 23rd, 2019, 01:16   #5
barrybritcher
Flaccid Member

what's the test to know when these are shot?
barrybritcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2019, 01:24   #6
davebb
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkulcsar View Post
There is a video on youtube (made by oragex/Peppermint) about greasing the bearings...
Hi thanks for that info I will have a look,
Hi Barry , some have said there steering felt very notchy,
mine feels fine but I have it all apart at the moment so I was just turning them with my fingers,
Dave
Old May 23rd, 2019, 13:27   #7
Georgeandkira
Premier Member

barrybritcher asked, "what's the test to know when these are shot?".

That question includes when they're near shot. Those damn bearing plates-automotive lazy susans-must be subject to variations in material quality like no other. There've been pictures of horridly rusty ones posted here. At 150K both of mine were new looking but for one thumb print of rust.

The test would have to be rust in the raceways and on the ball bearings themselves. Inspection would be difficult as there's precious little room for spraying lube into them. A friend had a tenacious, clear viscous lube in a spray can. The spray can's straw worked well enough. Alas, that particular product is no longer around.

So, if they (the bearing assemblies) look OK and roll well, you can lube 'em as best you can and reinstall. If they're rough running there's little to think about.
If they're rolling OK and have rust on their plates, you gotta make your own mind up I suppose. They're not too dear.

I'd see to the lubing of the balls and coat the entire thing with a hearty, outdoor worthy rust preventative.
Georgeandkira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2019, 22:06   #8
oragex
Premier Member

Just as above, the quality of this specific part is essential, when you think at the simple fact that these two bearings - at the left and right struts, carry no less than the whole front of the car weight - considering the car has a 60/40 weight distribution, that's about 800kg of load of these two, so 400kg load on one of them. As mentioned, cheap ones will cause hard to very hard and notchy steering and may not last much

As for testing them, it is a little tricky because turning them by hand may not mean much - we can't load them properly. When removing these, it is good to look up inside the tower area for any rust caused by the metal plate of the bearing in contact with the paint on the chassis. If you have the bearings in hand, indeed it's a good idea to pop the cover, clean and put some bearing grease inside https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pnoy6ixh2WA

I've seen these rusted to the point of being almost impossible to turn by hand, but I believe that happens only in climates with harsh winters & salt (I'm in Canada).

Upon purchasing a used Volvo, not impossible a previous owner to have replaced these with cheap components (or even with some cheap 'quick struts' assemblies). The good brands for the strut bearing are Ina, Lemforder, Boge. For the spring seat Sachs, Rein

I haven't tested myself, but these parts look very similar in P1 and P2 volvo, so could them be exactly the same ? Asking because parts for P1 Volvo are being sold at much lower prices now, so that may be interesting. Here's an example https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/vol...untseatkit-oem
Old May 23rd, 2019, 22:33   #9
davebb
Premier Member

Hi Thanks for the good info,
my bearings feel pitted, there is no sign of rust, I will try and clean and re pack
the grease, the spring seats still look new, and I have had up rated springs for the last 3 years, when I fitted the springs 3 years ago all I changed was the springs, so I don't know how old the seats and bearing mounts are , I have had the car 6 years now, the car is a 2002, 84,000 miles,
any ice cream
Old May 24th, 2019, 00:40   #10
oragex
Premier Member

I don't think the genuine bearing plates are usually stamped, but worth looking for a brand (in case these were replaced in the past)

going simple with the ice cream now, vanilla + rum extract (in memory of the Malaga ice cream: vanilla, dry raisins, rum)