Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Performance Volvo Cars

Notices

Performance Volvo Cars A forum for those interested in any Volvo performance car from any era, FWD, RWD and AWD!

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

My 591 bhp/524 ftlbs Volvo 850

Views : 5278

Replies : 32

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 28th, 2008, 07:40   #11
RT Mechanics
A yellow volvo lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by motas-88 View Post
I'm amazed, being a relative newbie when it comes to volvo's, I thought that kind of power was the domain of supercars and your scoobies, evo's and skyline's, etc.

Nice work, shows there is hope for us yet lol.

Tom
Hi Tom

Thanks for your comment the sky's the limit if your mad enough ;-) I still have much to do as i am learning lots from all the r&d i am doing Its been a massive amount of time and money to get to this stage but every press of the throttle is worth every penny

Russ

www.rtmechanics.co.uk
RT Mechanics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31st, 2008, 01:32   #12
moynesyt5

Hi Russ
I don't post on forums must, but I would like to ask what ECU are you running the car on? Is it standard with remapping?
What boost pressure is the car runnnig?
Just curious as I have the only tarmac stage rally S70 in the Uk, and have just spent a small fortune on the engine, turbo etc, and would like to run a stand alone ECU. The unfortunate thing I have to run with is the MSA regs for turbo charged rally cars is that I have to have a restrictor on the turbo, 34mm dia!!
I look forward to hearing from you.
Dave
moynesyt5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31st, 2008, 07:37   #13
RT Mechanics
A yellow volvo lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by moynesyt5 View Post
Hi Russ
I don't post on forums must, but I would like to ask what ECU are you running the car on? Is it standard with remapping?
Just curious as I have the only tarmac stage rally S70 in the Uk, and have just spent a small fortune on the engine, turbo etc, and would like to run a stand alone ECU. The unfortunate thing I have to run with is the MSA regs for turbo charged rally cars is that I have to have a restrictor on the turbo, 34mm dia!!
Dave
Hi Dave

Thanks for the question

The Ecu i am running is an Autronic Sm4 which involves a new wiring loom to replace the Volvo wiring etc if you have a look at www.autronic.com you will see many motorsport cars/boats/bikes set up on Sm4.

I decided to go this route as i don't think the standard volvo software will handle this much power safely and is hard to map well

It has many standard features which will help you like antilag/launch control/traction control ;-)

My car is running 2.3 bar all the time no low boost for me !!

Nice to see a Volvo in motorsport by the way good luck.

If you need any further information please call me 01428 722144

Russ
Old Oct 31st, 2008, 11:03   #14
don kalmar union
Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by moynesyt5 View Post
Hi Russ
Dave

Good morning Dave,

Have not spoken in a long time.

I can supply bespoke software for your particular purpose to run with your standard ECU. You certainly do not need to go to the expense of a stand alone or piggy back set up with MTE software: we have cars running in excess of 400bhp on standard ECUs here in the UK and elswhere 600bhp plus is quite doable with a standard ECU.

The last time that we spoke you had, if I remember installed some Rica software. That would have entailed their fitting a carrier board which would have to be removed before I could get MTE software installed. You could otherwise buy another ECU which we could work with.

All you would need to do is get a base MTE upgrade installed and get a rolling road run with full printout of all parameters. We can get MTE to interpret that and make changes which could be emailed to me for my local installation.

Please call me on 020 8959 3230 if you would like to catch up....

Best wishes, Don.

MTE performance software , TME and Ferrita stainless exhausts, AP heavy duty clutch kits, KU single mass flywheels and LSDs. 01494 785508. email don@kalmar-union.com

www.kalmar-union.com
don kalmar union is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31st, 2008, 12:15   #15
motas-88

Just a quick question, have you had to strengthen the chassis at all, to cope with the extra power or is the 850 solid enough?

Cheers

Tom
Old Oct 31st, 2008, 20:24   #16
RT Mechanics
A yellow volvo lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by don kalmar union View Post
Good morning Dave,

Have not spoken in a long time.

I can supply bespoke software for your particular purpose to run with your standard ECU. You certainly do not need to go to the expense of a stand alone or piggy back set up with MTE software: we have cars running in excess of 400bhp on standard ECUs here in the UK and elswhere 600bhp plus is quite doable with a standard ECU.

The last time that we spoke you had, if I remember installed some Rica software. That would have entailed their fitting a carrier board which would have to be removed before I could get MTE software installed. You could otherwise buy another ECU which we could work with.

All you would need to do is get a base MTE upgrade installed and get a rolling road run with full printout of all parameters. We can get MTE to interpret that and make changes which could be emailed to me for my local installation.

Please call me on 020 8959 3230 if you would like to catch up....

Best wishes, Don.
Hi Don

Hope your well ?
I would love to see some Rolling road/Engine dyno graphs from the 400-600 hp Volvos Mte have done i am always interested in all options for customers ;-)

Russ
Old Oct 31st, 2008, 20:28   #17
RT Mechanics
A yellow volvo lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by motas-88 View Post
Just a quick question, have you had to strengthen the chassis at all, to cope with the extra power or is the 850 solid enough?

Cheers

Tom
Hi Tom

Thanks for the question i have not made big changes to the chassis as such just roll bars/coilovers/front/rear strut brace i am soon having a roll cage put in as well.I would not say the chassis is very weak but i think any Fwd car with a genuine 500 plus hp will need a few tweeks to help it along

Russ
The Following User Says Thank You to RT Mechanics For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 31st, 2008, 20:31   #18
Jona76

How much of the power is usable? My 225bhp 850 T5 becomes 'fun' in the wet (even as an auto) when pulling out of side roads and I'd not touch any more bhp, but it looks one hell of a mota that you have
Jona76 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jona76 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 31st, 2008, 20:36   #19
RT Mechanics
A yellow volvo lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jona76 View Post
How much of the power is usable? My 225bhp 850 T5 becomes 'fun' in the wet (even as an auto) when pulling out of side roads and I'd not touch any more bhp, but it looks one hell of a mota that you have
Hi Jona76

Thanks for your question

The power is very usable on a dry road you would be surprised how much so with a decent set up of tyres/suspension/etc it handles much much better than i ever imagined

Russ
Old Nov 4th, 2008, 17:32   #20
Ross9
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Mechanics View Post
Hi Don

Hope your well ?
I would love to see some Rolling road/Engine dyno graphs from the 400-600 hp Volvos Mte have done i am always interested in all options for customers ;-)

Russ
I'll try and get you one soon, Jacqs was 387.5 bhp @ 5800rpm (mapped to 7500) on an aborted run with a slipping clutch, 355 @ wheels to go along with that, that was a custom map MTE came to Scotland and did for us, obviously with a lot of hardware changes as well to the car, still a 2.0 16v T4 engine, ideally it should get over 400 bhp when finished, having some manifold and exhaust changes done just now, clutch issue and fuelling are all sorted out since the RR as well (was lean as we turned the boost up a bit more than it had been mapped for so was "off map" a tad)

I should point out however that the mapping and supply of the 750cc injectors were MTE's input, the building, other set up, and work since mapping to manually skew the map and allow the boost levels above what it was mapped for to be run by adjustign fuel systems etc is all done by The Garage in motherwell, Scotland, http://www.the-garage.co.uk , good mate of ours and IMO one of the best in the UK. Unfortunately they dont have the software to map the Volvo ECU in the T4 yet or they would, they map everythign else themsevles. (he built my old rover too which I wouldnt have minded giving your T5 a pop with lol )

Pretty Sure Ashok's T4 has hit 412 bhp with an MTE remap and graphs to go with it as well if he feels like sharing

Awesome effort on your car though, as was said people assume only the jap stuff mods up to that power, in fact anything does it just takes more effort and R&D as you have put in Russ as the parts aren't available off the shelf, we actually had a laugh at home about that once, on the way home from Crail Jacq was handing me my ass in the T4 and makign the Skyline...struggle, it's about 350ish bhp we reckon, never tested, volvo's lighter and more powerful, but if you tell someone Jacqs car is 380+ bhp they call you a liar, I could tell them mine was 800 and they'd be "really, cool"

Top marks again for the car, are there any vids, real world performance figs, ie 1/4 mile runs, vids from trackdays etc?

Ross

Last edited by Ross9; Nov 4th, 2008 at 17:38.
Ross9 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ross9 For This Useful Post: