Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Performance Volvo Cars
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Performance Volvo Cars A forum for those interested in any Volvo performance car from any era, FWD, RWD and AWD!

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

My 591 bhp/524 ftlbs Volvo 850

Views : 5350

Replies : 32

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 4th, 2008, 18:36   #21
RT Mechanics
A yellow volvo lover

Hi Ross

Thanks for the reply and kind comments,my quest is far from finished with my car but i do have a few things on the go so its progress is slow
I think people assume i am not interested in other projects etc people are doing/have done on there cars but am very interested in seeing the results as long as there is proof and not just talk ;-)

I don't have any videos i can publish on the net so far but do have my recent RR vids to show soon,i have a few events and the odd track day planned next year and plan to go to as many shows as poss once i am happy with it,the problems i have had is you really have to find out the R&D out for yourself with a volvo its very much into the unknown

Good luck with your projects

Russ
RT Mechanics is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RT Mechanics For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 4th, 2008, 19:04   #22
Ross9
Master Member

Look forward to seeing the RR vids, indeed it's always nice to see the proof etc, have always prided myself on never making any claims that havent been wtinessed by others or able to be backed up online etc, whats the point. Look forward to seeing the evolution of the car and will get more info up on Jacqs car as and when it develops, there was a big write up I did on it before in the old projects section, will have a look and see if it is still there.

Ross

EDIT - http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=47573 , thats it there, from purchase to Nov 2007, currently having manifold anmd exhaust changes made, due back in the next day or two, will update once there's figs eitehr BHP or time wise to comment on.

Last edited by Ross9; Nov 4th, 2008 at 19:06.
Ross9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4th, 2008, 19:39   #23
RT Mechanics
A yellow volvo lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross9 View Post
Look forward to seeing the RR vids, indeed it's always nice to see the proof etc, have always prided myself on never making any claims that havent been wtinessed by others or able to be backed up online etc, whats the point. Look forward to seeing the evolution of the car and will get more info up on Jacqs car as and when it develops, there was a big write up I did on it before in the old projects section, will have a look and see if it is still there.

Ross

EDIT - http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=47573 , thats it there, from purchase to Nov 2007, currently having manifold anmd exhaust changes made, due back in the next day or two, will update once there's figs eitehr BHP or time wise to comment on.
Hi Ross

Not sure how i missed seeing this looks very good, best of luck hope you get to the power you want what is your target ??

Russ
Old Nov 4th, 2008, 22:19   #24
mole

Quote:

Pretty Sure Ashok's T4 has hit 412 bhp with an MTE remap and graphs to go with it as well if he feels like sharing

Ross

Ashok has given me the info below and is happy for it to be used to answer your question Ross

Thanks

Tim Williams

Hi Ross,

Indeed I have had the T4 on the rollers several times and it has given consistent power results, even on runs several weeks apart. The most recent run yielded approx 104bhp / 125Nm torque per cylinder (and is a 4-cyl not 5), on pump fuel @ 1.75bar boost (as opposed to 107bhp/123Nm @ 2.3bar of boost on a T5 with a standalone engine management system) (on “China Rods” which some forum members frown on), with the standard engine management system (EMS2000) which the car came out of the factory with. This was all attained with an MTE / Kalmar Union custom map and the ECU in the car has completed over 60,000 miles of road driving since its first ever remap.

Those who know me well will know that the car’s not only been used as a daily driver, but by my now retired parents when they’re visiting from Singapore, as a work related rapid response vehicle (with a fair bit of equipment slung in the back), as well as for track days – that’s the flexibility and reliability I’ve expected from the standard EMS (given full Volvo diagnostics and security have been preserved), and its never failed to deliver; after all, its just a computer and does what you tell it to (if you can that is! J).

I have the graphs with me and will gladly bring them along to meets if anyone wants to see them. The car was making circa 400bhp between 5800 and 9500rpm (where the rev limit is) but the figures are only half the story; it’s the way it drove on the road, which some have experienced and even driven it themselves(!) which really was the “proof in the pudding”.
mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5th, 2008, 20:39   #25
RT Mechanics
A yellow volvo lover

Hi Tim

Can we see the graphs please ? is Ashok not here anymore ??

Russ
Old Nov 5th, 2008, 22:32   #26
smartbomb
VOC Member

Ashoks actually hit just over 420bhp at a Powerstation RR day a few months ago. I was there, as were around 30 Scooby owners, who mysteriously failed to mention on any of their forums that all bar one of their rice rockets just got their asses handed to them on a plate by a volvo estate... These are the moments to be treasured.....

Paul
smartbomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6th, 2008, 00:51   #27
mole

I know Ashok is no longer active on here but as I don't post pics the graph is the same one that he drags out at MRG open days and any meets that he is asked too. Did he not send it to you in an email in June?

After going around the Nurburg Ring in the car its more the power delivery and just how wide the power band is that is more impressive than just a dyno print out.

Last edited by mole; Nov 6th, 2008 at 00:53. Reason: Spellings
mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8th, 2008, 16:26   #28
Ross9
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Mechanics View Post
Hi Ross

Not sure how i missed seeing this looks very good, best of luck hope you get to the power you want what is your target ??

Russ

Never really had a target, obviously we had an idea of what to aim for when Jacq was first speccing it etc, anything over 400 would put a smile on our faces I reckon which should hopefully attainable, will just have to see, though as has been said about Ashoks etc it's the useable power and the driving thats become the best thing about it, it's just a lot of fun to be out in.

Ross
Old Nov 8th, 2008, 21:13   #29
RT Mechanics
A yellow volvo lover

Quote:
Never really had a target, obviously we had an idea of what to aim for when Jacq was first speccing it etc, anything over 400 would put a smile on our faces I reckon which should hopefully attainable, will just have to see, though as has been said about Ashoks etc it's the useable power and the driving thats become the best thing about it, it's just a lot of fun to be out in.

Ross
Its funny how these things grow and ideas get bigger and bigger i started off with buying a 19T three years ago now and then brought a GT30 as i had always wanted to get to the magic 500 mark then after a few more months i brought the GT35 this is even before i had run the new engine I have now decided where i will end it all as i have changed the spec again and want more power and torque after a few more engine mods

I have a very big smile on my face everytime i press the throttle and will always have RR sheets to show all as its always nice to have a number in hp/and ftlbs

Russ

Russ
Old Nov 10th, 2008, 00:56   #30
Ross9
Master Member

indeed, funnily enough as you will have noticed in the thread the manifold was well....****, a very poor log manifold that broke, a lot, it finally seperated, again, for about the 5th time the other week, and we thought the break had fallen inside and might have been drawn into the turbo and damaged the blades...after the 1st thought of "****" , the 2nd was "Gt35 then and bigger injectors" lol, if it ever pops it'll be a 35 on there in place of the 30 for sure, I know exactly what you mean.

When i bought my rover turbo years ago I said I would turn the boost up to 12psi and fit brakes and suspension, when I sold it after 5 years of ownership it was 1050kg 380 bhp, stripped out, cut slick tyres, nitrous, etc track/drag/weekend car, yep, fully road legal and great fun on a sunday, worked out to 362 bhp/tonne and it looked like a 1.6, as you say, it's soo easy to get carried away. Hence I'm punting the stinkline and getting a nice S60 D5, will play with Jacqs T4 and the scoobu track car (stripped out, fully forged engine, 20G turbo etc, should be alot of fun as a kick around at knockhill)
The Following User Says Thank You to Ross9 For This Useful Post: