Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

New Intercooler - what a difference

Views : 1661

Replies : 20

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 17th, 2019, 21:29   #11
WrathOfKain

Quote:
Originally Posted by CondorXC90 View Post
Wasn't great when I got it, to be fair, as a new battery had been installed - so the computer had reset. I managed to get it to about 24MPG max on long runs, dropping steadily though., was abput 22 last week. Mixture of short and long trips, town and motorway.

Took it to Kev, who suggested they change filters and oil and take a good look - he called me later and showed me photos of the intercooler which was leaking all along the bottom. I texted the guy I bought it from and he arranged to pay Kev to replace it with a new volvo part. Swirl flaps are fine on mine.
Feels fantastic now. Also flushed transmission and haldex - I paid separately for that. I looked at the intercooler when I collected the car- it was in a right mess.
Can you post up the pics ?
WrathOfKain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17th, 2019, 22:43   #12
CondorXC90

I didn't get him to send them to me and didn't take any myself when I saw it later - there was a thick layer of oil along the bottom edge of the intercooler.
And oil spray below it. Didn't look good. You need to drop the undertray to get a look in situ though, not easy to see.

XC90 2008 Sport SE Geartronic, sunroof, privacy, heated seats, phone/RTI, Nav, HP Sound,
CondorXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CondorXC90 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 18th, 2019, 06:27   #13
WrathOfKain

Quote:
I didn't get him to send them to me and didn't take any myself when I saw it later - there was a thick layer of oil along the bottom edge of the intercooler.
And oil spray below it. Didn't look good. You need to drop the undertray to get a look in situ though, not easy to see.
Righto so there is no easy quick check.
Old Dec 24th, 2019, 00:00   #14
WrathOfKain

Quote:
Wasn't great when I got it, to be fair, as a new battery had been installed - so the computer had reset. I managed to get it to about 24MPG max on long runs, dropping steadily though., was abput 22 last week. Mixture of short and long trips, town and motorway.

Took it to Kev, who suggested they change filters and oil and take a good look - he called me later and showed me photos of the intercooler which was leaking all along the bottom. I texted the guy I bought it from and he arranged to pay Kev to replace it with a new volvo part. Swirl flaps are fine on mine.
Feels fantastic now. Also flushed transmission and haldex - I paid separately for that. I looked at the intercooler when I collected the car- it was in a right mess.
Beginning to wonder if this is an issue on mine now. The MPG in city is now around 19mpg and with a 50 mile motorway getting about 27mpg.
Old Dec 24th, 2019, 13:02   #15
CondorXC90

It's easy to check but you need to remove the bottom shield to get a good view - if it is leaking, there will be a dark line along the bottom or one of the sides and splatter marks of oil - have you tried resetting the mileage thingy (button on the stalk) and taking the car for a longish motorway drive?

they are pretty terrible in busy town traffic .....esp stop-start traffic and accelerating away from stop-starts........can easily drop to high teens / mid twenties.....no different to my x5s or other 4x4s I have owned.

Or as others have advised, brim-to-brim calculation?

I know its not so much the economy but whether the swirl flaps or intercooler is an issue in your case - check both sooner rather than later, the garage are pretty good on their warranty, although it's quite a trek for you, the car is old and things can and do happen, however well maintained it has been, they don't last forever without parts failing.

XC90 2008 Sport SE Geartronic, sunroof, privacy, heated seats, phone/RTI, Nav, HP Sound,
Old Dec 24th, 2019, 14:16   #16
Danielpsmith
Master Member

I was in the same situation my mpg had dropped right off and down on power, after reading condors thread I took the plunge.

Mine is on 181000 miles and was on the original intercooler but was completely blown not on the bottom but on both sides top to bottom, oil all down it, you would have not seen it unless it was off the car so even with the bash guard off it would have been very difficult to see it.

But the difference it has made is massive, it pulls so much better all through the Rev range. The fuel economy has gone back up don’t get me wrong it’s not brilliant anyway but doing a lot better than it was.

It was doing approx 125-150 on half a tank that was a mixture of around town and abit of motorway, I have been using it and have just done 200 miles to half a tank which is a massive improvement the average on the computer is going up and have filled it and worked it out to 34mpg which I’m happy with.

Hope it helps abit for you.

Daniel
Danielpsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24th, 2019, 16:11   #17
WrathOfKain

Quote:
It's easy to check but you need to remove the bottom shield to get a good view - if it is leaking, there will be a dark line along the bottom or one of the sides and splatter marks of oil - have you tried resetting the mileage thingy (button on the stalk) and taking the car for a longish motorway drive?

they are pretty terrible in busy town traffic .....esp stop-start traffic and accelerating away from stop-starts........can easily drop to high teens / mid twenties.....no different to my x5s or other 4x4s I have owned.

Or as others have advised, brim-to-brim calculation?

I know its not so much the economy but whether the swirl flaps or intercooler is an issue in your case - check both sooner rather than later, the garage are pretty good on their warranty, although it's quite a trek for you, the car is old and things can and do happen, however well maintained it has been, they don't last forever without parts failing.

Will have to give Kev a call as he doesnt seem to respond to e-mails. He eluded to it having a service before i picked it up but might just bite the bullet and get it put in for a service anyway. He also mentioned doing the transmission oil but i am not convinced so might just get that done to and get these brake adjusters put in and while they are in there ask if they can have a look at the intercooler.

Yeah reset it every tank or before a motorway run ...... i accept the town running is poor .... as were my other 4x4's but my concern is doing 50+ miles on motorway which just seems to decrease. When i picked it up and drove up from Scotland I think it was doing about 38 ..... perhaps it just needs a longer run but would think 50+ miles would be enough to get it it up to best efficiency.
Old Dec 24th, 2019, 16:14   #18
WrathOfKain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danielpsmith View Post
I was in the same situation my mpg had dropped right off and down on power, after reading condors thread I took the plunge.

Mine is on 181000 miles and was on the original intercooler but was completely blown not on the bottom but on both sides top to bottom, oil all down it, you would have not seen it unless it was off the car so even with the bash guard off it would have been very difficult to see it.

But the difference it has made is massive, it pulls so much better all through the Rev range. The fuel economy has gone back up don’t get me wrong it’s not brilliant anyway but doing a lot better than it was.

It was doing approx 125-150 on half a tank that was a mixture of around town and abit of motorway, I have been using it and have just done 200 miles to half a tank which is a massive improvement the average on the computer is going up and have filled it and worked it out to 34mpg which I’m happy with.

Hope it helps abit for you.

Daniel
Merci Daniel .... yes would be more than happy with that too

TBH performance and pickup its super nippy ..... i mean it really travels and throws you back in your seat with just a touch of the accelerator.

How much was it for the intercooler replacement?
Old Dec 24th, 2019, 16:52   #19
CondorXC90

Quote:
Originally Posted by WrathOfKain View Post
Will have to give Kev a call as he doesnt seem to respond to e-mails. He eluded to it having a service before i picked it up but might just bite the bullet and get it put in for a service anyway. He also mentioned doing the transmission oil but i am not convinced so might just get that done to and get these brake adjusters put in and while they are in there ask if they can have a look at the intercooler.

Yeah reset it every tank or before a motorway run ...... i accept the town running is poor .... as were my other 4x4's but my concern is doing 50+ miles on motorway which just seems to decrease. When i picked it up and drove up from Scotland I think it was doing about 38 ..... perhaps it just needs a longer run but would think 50+ miles would be enough to get it it up to best efficiency.
That's similar to what mine was doing, but acceleration with mine was becoming more and more sluggish with the loss of pressure from the intercooler.

Check your swirl flaps again as well.

Kev is closed till the New Year now - maybe phone with some photos via message / text if the intercooler is FUBAR and see if he will contribute to cost of replacement unless you fancy a trip down South again. Volvo OEM is the only way to go IMO, don't buy a cheap ebay replacement if you are going to change it. It takes a few hours labour, by the way, as it involves a bit of dismantling. I think it was over £500 but the dealer I bought mine from paid Kev to do it so am not sure. You could also speak to Neil, the slightly younger other chap there - more techy so more likely to get emails etc.

The Following User Says Thank You to CondorXC90 For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 24th, 2019, 17:27   #20
Danielpsmith
Master Member

My brother in law works for a truck parts company but managed to get me the intercooler for £85 all in that was for a nissens intercooler I think they’re about £120 on eBay and fitted it myself.
Danielpsmith is offline   Reply With Quote