Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Arduino in an XC90 - who wants to join me?

Views : 3378

Replies : 38

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 23rd, 2018, 13:46   #31
danhans42

Great news and good work.

I am recovering from an operation so have just been working on the software side. I have re-purposed a Raspberry Pi Zero to do the logging with using Wireshark which seems to be working pretty well with the extended frames.

My current thoughts and wishes are towards a plug and play replacement for the RTI. I have example code for controlling screen movement that I will use for that.

For me I will have to stick with the Leonardo, as its the easiest solution for me to get USBHID up along with CAN on the same MCU.
danhans42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23rd, 2018, 15:01   #32
SwissXC90
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by danhans42 View Post
My current thoughts and wishes are towards a plug and play replacement for the RTI. I have example code for controlling screen movement that I will use for that.
You like to do things the hard way huh?

On my car, the RTI talks MOST on the fiber network, is the Arduino man enough to talk at MOST-speeds..... MOST25 is 23 megabaud, around 25 Mbit/s.... an Arduino only has a 16 MHz clock....

And I wish you a speed recovery....
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.
SwissXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23rd, 2018, 15:57   #33
danhans42

My plan is to avoid the fibre MOST bus altogether, use CAN to take the commands from the steering wheel buttons when AUX is selected, and then I will control the screen using the other serial connection in the video connector.

The RGB signal will be created using a HDMI-RGB converter with some custom settings, and the rear screens will be changed for the cheap innolux 848x480 screens with a HDMI driver board.

This is all theory, as I need to actually get into the car in daylight. I have a road trip to France planned for August so will hope to have it all implemented by then.
danhans42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23rd, 2018, 17:21   #34
SwissXC90
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by danhans42 View Post
My plan is to avoid the fibre MOST bus altogether, use CAN to take the commands from the steering wheel buttons when AUX is selected, and then I will control the screen using the other serial connection in the video connector.

The RGB signal will be created using a HDMI-RGB converter with some custom settings, and the rear screens will be changed for the cheap innolux 848x480 screens with a HDMI driver board.
OK, that's totally do-able.
The LIN is 9600bps, which is snail's pace for an Arduino.
The Arduino keeps up with 125kbps on the CAN bus easily.
And reading the CAN bus and getting the steering wheel keypresses is easy, I've logged all mine. In fact, it's really the easiest CAN bus frame in the entire vehicle to decode. You also don't have to ask for the data, it is broadcast multiple times a second.
You can mute the radio via the CAN bus, which would be nice when a nav instruction is happening.
You cannot tell the radio to switch to AUX though - or at least, I haven't found a command for this yet. Maybe some exploration would be required.
You can switch AM and FM via CAN bus, and then maybe you could pipe the nav audio into the AM circuit.... that would be interesting.
Otherwise a separate external speaker for the nav would be the simplest way.
(Indeed, my first BMW had an extremely simple phone audio connection to the driver's door speaker: the speaker had 2 x voice coils and the phone used one of them, the stereo the other!)

I'm diving into my garage tonight to try and sound my DIM's gong via a CAN bus command.... let's see how I go. Unsure of my chances of success at this stage.
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.
Old Jan 23rd, 2018, 20:33   #35
SwissXC90
Premier Member

Hot off the press: http://hackingvolvoxc90.blogspot.ch/...od-part-1.html
Old Nov 18th, 2019, 17:53   #36
frans1401

Without knowing I already had some cars that had a Can bus but since a few months I have an older XC70 and am getting used to the can bus and the messages that are shown on the Dim.
That made me find out more and became interested and two weeks ago I decided to start a small Arduino-Can bus project. Searching for information I came to your project and learned a lot from it.
For me the changing ECU id's so far were magical and thought that you had found the golden key. However, I have registered four Volvo's in my Vida but unfortunately they all give the same hex device addresses.
Have you been able to verify these addresses in the Can bus data stream?
Maybe only the addresses of the car that has been read by Vida are shown?
The list of my car differs from your car but not the id's of corresponding modules.
It's still a mystery to me.
frans1401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18th, 2019, 20:47   #37
SwissXC90
Premier Member

Yes I managed to deduce the addresses of many different modules, using a mix of deduction, observation, and good old trial and error.
Old Nov 18th, 2019, 21:44   #38
glengibson

Very interesting, keep up the good work!
glengibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19th, 2019, 05:34   #39
SwissXC90
Premier Member

Unfortunately unlikely to continue.
This sort of project needs a community to support it with like-minded and similarly skilled individuals working on it. I couldn't find such people, and it was too much for me, in terms of time and effort, so I gave up.

Also, I couldn't see how the Arduino and the CFE+ could co-exist without clashing with each other, as both do the same thing: emulate VIDA to control devices.

I did get to the point where opening the drivers door trigger the dashboard beeper and orange warning lamp, all driven by Arduino code with the Arduino sitting on the CAN bus in the trunk of the car.

I wanted to drive the text display as well but didn't get that far. It's a slow arduous process with a laptop in a cold garage to test, and being upstairs writing code that cannot be tested if not in the garage....