Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

I'd like to have a word

Views : 1140

Replies : 10

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 22nd, 2019, 21:03   #1
greasyfingers

Default I'd like to have a word

I'd like to have a word with the person who designed the rear light clusters of my PII V70. I'd like to talk about the way you so cleverly positioned the bulb apertures so that some of them are not only hidden, but require dislocation of both thumb and wrist to reach. I'd like to talk about the sharp edged paneling that is so well designed as to obscure view of what you are doing, whilst lacerating your hand in the process.

Maybe we could have a chat about the bulb holders, some equipped with extensions to hold, so temptingly making removal and refitting appear a pleasure, and yet they are a triumph of deception. The exquisite choice of materials, too, especially appointed to go brittle over time, so that those self same pieces break off at the exact moment of greatest frustration.

To cement your position as a worthy successor to Joseph Lucas, Prince of Darkness, you paid much attention to detail, such as connectors that bend to lose contact, bulbs holders that slip so easily from one's fingers, to drop into far away recesses under so many panels, and fuses that blow during the job, leaving the installer believing he's failing to correctly fit a bulb, even when actually he's not.

What strain of genius is within you, causing you to decide against a simple, easy, straightforward bulb-changing procedure? What a masterstroke to make openings behind the panels that only a twelve year old's hands can fit into, and yet requiring Geoff Capes to be able to break the grip of bulb-holder in aperture, and a laser guidance system to be able to get them back in again.

Many is the time that I have admired your handiwork when carrying out these little tasks; I have even danced, though not with joy but pain. Bulb replacement is normally such a dull job, but you have shown us how it doesn't have to be that way. Oh, what joy there is in such small things in life.

And can I also have a word with the Gods of Illumination, who arranged for two bulbs to blow on the very morning of the MoT?
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to greasyfingers For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 22nd, 2019, 21:47   #2
john.wigley
VOC Member since 1986

Quote:
Originally Posted by greasyfingers View Post

And can I also have a word with the Gods of Illumination, who arranged for two bulbs to blow on the very morning of the MoT?
Would that be St. Murfy, by any chance, 'greasyfingers'? J.
Old Nov 23rd, 2019, 01:08   #3
Sojournermike

Quote:

Oh, that always happens
Sojournermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23rd, 2019, 06:26   #4
petey
Master Member

You have no chance of talking with that person, he, alongside the contortionist malcontent that designed the NS headlight access are busy slurping at the breast of Old Scratch himself...
petey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23rd, 2019, 08:32   #5
Thekilt

One thing I hate which I only noticed recently and only applicable to right hand drive cars is the position of the cup holder on the dashboard to the RIGHT of the stereo. It’s nigh on useless as I use my fingertips to get my coffee flask out of it.

And why it really annoys me is for left hand drive cars, of course it is right next to the steering wheel well within reach. Volvo couldn’t be bothered to mirror the design (understandable due to stereo) however they could have done something to ensure it wasn’t handed!
Thekilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23rd, 2019, 09:58   #6
100K+
Premier Member

...The thing about running these P2's for over 15 yrs is you learn how to over come their snares.. I can now change any rear light in under a minute - a secret ( perhaps not the only one) is to remove the D pillar speaker - it opens up a whole new view!!!

I believe others have made use of snowpack to mark things too...

Cheers
Bob
100K+ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23rd, 2019, 19:21   #7
greasyfingers

Quote:
I'm please to report that the car did pass its MoT after this minor hiccup.

A tip for the top couple of bulb holders, accessed behind the speaker, particularly for the lower of the two: you will be doing this with fingertips, and risk dropping the holder, where it will drop out of sight and require much mythering to recover it. Once the holder is out, drill a small hole in the back of it, thread a string through, and tie the other end to a nearby piece of bodywork. Now if you do drop it, you can easily pull it out again.

Finally, don't refit a holder while the lights are on, or you risk blowing a fuse. The position lights have a fuse for each side, and I blew them both.
Old Nov 23rd, 2019, 19:34   #8
Simmy
Premier Member

i never found the rear bulbs too difficult .the driver side headlamp one is the one i have trouble with . i have now found that the ecu box can be diss assembled to gain access. its easyer than takeing off the bumper off to gain access
Simmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23rd, 2019, 19:48   #9
camturbo

I have struggled with the rear bulbs leaving bits of skin and blood on the panels as a souvenir,but found the front bulbs not to bad. O/s/f dipped piece of cake,full beam fiddley but doable,however n/s/f bit trickier. I found removing airbox is easier to gain access is easier. Whichever way you look at it these p2 cars can either be a joy to work on or a right pain in the arse. Those time consuming jobs seem to breeze through yet the 5 min jobs turn into hours or longer lol. With skin missing,tools being launched across the driveway in frustration then cursing because you can't find it.
But we all love them really.
Old Nov 24th, 2019, 16:53   #10
Joe Harding
Premier Member

I’ve found if you put your hand in a vice and break your fingers with a mallet them leave them to set at random angles the chances are one hand will have fingers that can reach up and remove and replace the bulbs.
Now try the near side headlight....