Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Arduino in an XC90 - who wants to join me?

Views : 3371

Replies : 38

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 8th, 2018, 20:32   #1
SwissXC90
Premier Member

Default Arduino in an XC90 - who wants to join me?

So I have the following:
2 x Arduino Uno
1 x CAN-BUS Shield v1.2 from Seeedstudio
1 x GSM shield
35 years electronics experience (hardware)
20 years VisualBasic experience (software, still going strong)
10 years automotive serial bus reverse engineering experience (on a previous vehicle) at binary level - that was fun...
1 month Arduino experience (totally a newbie)

I'd like to use my hardware and skillset to add some extra functions to my XC90

The XC90 has a 125kbps low-speed CAN bus, connecting all the non-drivetrain and safety components
The drivetrain and safety - airbags, engine, gearbox etc- are on the 500 kbps high-speed CAN bus, I'm NOT touching that!.
The low speed bus is 15625 bytes per second, which at around 12-byte average frame length is around 1300 frames per second to process. Should be doable with an Arduino.

Once the commands are reverse engineered, I want to do the following as a starter:

1. Lamp-On reminder when drivers door is opened. I'm always leaving my lights on in the garage. A DIM message and warning ding / lamp can also be sounded / displayed
2. Auto CRUISE enabler when the ignition is turned on
3. Auto navigation ACCEPT for the annoying warning screen on startup
4. Visual rear parking distance indicator
5. Using Front Fog Lamps as corner illumination at low speed
6. TPMS using ABS signals
7. Maybe automatic car finder / status indicator / heater starter all via SMS
8. Anything else that makes sense....

I'd like to see if there are other software programmers on this forum who would like to join me and explore the insides of their XC90 in a joint effort.

NOTE: you WILL need to have VIDA to be able to reset any fault messages that may occur through CAN bus data collisions etc during the experimental phase!

Who's in?
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.
SwissXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8th, 2018, 21:56   #2
Father Ted
Master Member

I would be but you lost me in the first sentence!!

Good luck, though. Sounds like a great project.
Old Jan 8th, 2018, 22:41   #3
colinbos
2008 XC90 D5 SE

Say that again in English, Swiss !?

Ill make the cups of tea, if that helps ?!!
colinbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8th, 2018, 22:44   #4
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

@Moose Test - good excuse for another oscilloscope?
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9th, 2018, 07:35   #5
bokabil

It's your own version of the Volvotech CFE, nice!

My background is embedded software, mostly RS485/SCI/I2C bus. It is only last year that we've had a product that runs on CAN bus but I was not directly involved. I know the basics of CAN but lack debugging experience. No experience on Arduino as I work mainly with Freescale/TI chips.

I suppose, reverse-engineering the CAN commands is at least 50% of the work. Knowing which device is on which node and their corresponding commands. If you can get access to a scope/sniffer that can decode CAN bus, that will be most helpful.
Old Jan 9th, 2018, 07:42   #6
SwissXC90
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bokabil View Post
It's your own version of the Volvotech CFE, nice!
Yep, with different functions

Quote:
My background is embedded software, mostly RS485/SCI/I2C bus. It is only last year that we've had a product that runs on CAN bus but I was not directly involved. I know the basics of CAN but lack debugging experience. No experience on Arduino as I work mainly with Freescale/TI chips.
Perfect, and you are just down the road from where I live.

Quote:
I suppose, reverse-engineering the CAN commands is at least 50% of the work. Knowing which device is on which node and their corresponding commands. If you can get access to a scope/sniffer that can decode CAN bus, that will be most helpful.
I have a sniffer and a lot of the reverse engineering has been done already, I have a lot of data. So that reduces the workload a lot
And I have reverse engineering experience on vehicle databusses.... lower bitrates but the principles are the same

Wanna meet up for a coffee and chat?
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.
SwissXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SwissXC90 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 9th, 2018, 10:51   #7
XJSDriver
XJS Driver

Hi, I have an Arduino and Vida and have been looking on the net at how to read ODBII data to create additional displays but this never got off the ground. Am keen to be involved and kept in the loop - would love to be able to help where I can but you are way ahead of me!
XJSDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9th, 2018, 11:16   #8
Moose Test
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannaton View Post
@Moose Test - good excuse for another oscilloscope?
When did you ever know me to need an excuse for that?

I've been resisting the temptation to buy a nice deep memory Keysight unit with automotive serial decode over the xmas break. This post isn't helping.

@Swiss - It's a very interesting idea for a project, I'd been thinking of something similar (but LIN based), to explore adding paddle shifters to my XC70. Sadly the demands on my time from a work perspective are too great at present for it to be fair to make any time commitments to you but I wish you all the best with it and look forward to reading about your progress.

Perhaps I might be of use later on, with your tracking/status/remote features. My day job involves IoT, telemetry, mobile web apps and the like.
Moose Test is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9th, 2018, 11:56   #9
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Test View Post
When did you ever know me to need an excuse for that?

I've been resisting the temptation to buy a nice deep memory Keysight unit with automotive serial decode over the xmas break. This post isn't helping.

@Swiss - It's a very interesting idea for a project, I'd been thinking of something similar (but LIN based), to explore adding paddle shifters to my XC70. Sadly the demands on my time from a work perspective are too great at present for it to be fair to make any time commitments to you but I wish you all the best with it and look forward to reading about your progress.

Perhaps I might be of use later on, with your tracking/status/remote features. My day job involves IoT, telemetry, mobile web apps and the like.
Off topic I know but the Keysight stuff looks a very useful tool... could replace my multimeter? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKki89sq0XY
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9th, 2018, 12:07   #10
Moose Test
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannaton View Post
Off topic I know but the Keysight stuff looks a very useful tool... could replace my multimeter? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKki89sq0XY
Absolutely. That particular model is the best £15k 'multimeter' you'll ever own! Go for it.

Be sure to care for it nicely, as he does...
Moose Test is offline   Reply With Quote