Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

xc90 steering angle sensor

Views : 807

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 6th, 2019, 21:34   #1
john langrick
Master Member

Default xc90 steering angle sensor

Xc90 d5 163 my03.

My indie has diagnosed that I have a sudden failure of clock spring. The car has dstc.

It has just undergone serious engine surgery and at the moment my car funds are very low.

A new item is about £240, and would normally go this route, but I can see lots of the correct part number on eBay for between 50 - £100 with a year warranty. I see lots of tutorials on how to fit so I may have a go. I will use Vida to confirm diagnosis and correct part no for my car.... And i will certainly disconnect the battery!

But my question is, is this a good idea to use a second hand part? In an ideal situation I would be the last to consider this but currently needs must..

What does other more experienced forum members think?

John l
john langrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7th, 2019, 17:18   #2
SwissXC90
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john langrick View Post
But my question is, is this a good idea to use a second hand part? In an ideal situation I would be the last to consider this but currently needs must..
There are a lot of Clock Spring failure and replacement posts
Disproportionately high

So thus the chances of having problems with second hand parts are, logically, also disproportionately high

It's a risk
Is the Reward (the savings when buying a 2nd hand part) high enough to warrant the Risk?

Only you can answer that... as it's your money....
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.
SwissXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SwissXC90 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 22nd, 2019, 16:39   #3
craigie1

Hi I have the same problem warning lights on and diagnosis was steering angle sensor. Does this part have to be coded to the car?

Thank you
craigie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22nd, 2019, 17:21   #4
john langrick
Master Member

Hi, have just ordered mine by coincident. I understand it just needs adjustment to the car.

I was going to fit it myself, but will probably leave this to my indie as it is a tad cold to be messing with it and the car does not fit too well in my garage ( but my sailing dinghy does!).

Fyi, the cost was £245.45 inc.

Hope this helps

John l
Old Nov 24th, 2019, 21:05   #5
dambat

It can be repaired, but requires full dissassembly, and cleaning of the optical sensors and can require the use of Vida to set the orientation correctly if you lose it from centre position.

180 degrees out appears to be common (you can check my post history).

Last edited by dambat; Nov 24th, 2019 at 21:10.
dambat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dambat For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 25th, 2019, 09:40   #6
john langrick
Master Member

Thanks for this info but as I have now ordered a new one will fit that.

However, I will have a look at the old unit when replaced. I understand the position is important as the new unit has a locating screw that is removed after assembly.
Vida tells me the unit has an 'internsl fault' currently but my indie did try and reset it via standard procedures with no luck.

I guess needs to be fitted to car to check if I fix anything on the old unit but will have a look in any case.

Thanks again, John l