Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Amazing D5 Oil Deal

Views : 8182

Replies : 64

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 3rd, 2014, 10:50   #21
skyship007
Premier Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darlo 1 View Post
My eyes just fell out!!
No problem, just Google "auto screen reader program" or something like that, as it is an interactive program that reads any standard text and then stops at the end of the post to ask what you want to do, I just shout, "Next", but you have to teach the very simple VRP which commands you wish to use to jump to the next page.

There is a version available that jumps web sites listed in the favourites bar when requested and you can adjust the reader speed and volume by voice command. Another one works well with Google commercial search and is a real ace at finding difficult items that are well down the list. The insurance investigators use it to find silly comments about accidents under investigation that are posted in Facebook or Twitter in particular. At present those programs can only be purchased in the USA, unless your company has a direct account with Google, which only big ones seem to do. Steer clear of the far Eastern copies, as they require a monthly update service and trying to con your way through that registration is near impossible. They read text OK, but stop jumping sites and won't work in GCS without updates, leaning Chinese for the voice commands can prove tricky!

Everyone should DYOR (Do Your Own Research)
skyship007 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to skyship007 For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 4th, 2014, 09:37   #22
constantin0

I'm very confused about what to use on my 2002 S60 D5...and the more I read about, it, the more confused I get. 130k miles on the clock and is smoking a bit when I put my foot down suddenly (especially when cold, getting out of a roundabout in a hurry, etc). Intercooler already replaced (with a "good" used one).
GV52AWJ , in case anyone is kind enough to provide some direct links.
I bought some 0w30 on ebay but a bit sceptical, not sure if it's genuine. Some of the bottles were leaking through the caps (no additional seal under the cap):
http://r.ebay.com/2Y3n2j

Last edited by constantin0; Jul 4th, 2014 at 12:04.
constantin0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4th, 2014, 13:39   #23
Bernard333
Premier Member

The stuff posted by CheshireD5 in post 1 is ok for your 2002 D5 engine. My 2003 D5 has only ever had the cheapest oil available since the car was new meeting A3/B4 spec and its now done 180000 miles with no oil related wear problems, at £7.50 a gallon this is the cheapest I have seen so far.
Bernard333 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bernard333 For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 4th, 2014, 13:46   #24
Rossi-fan
Premier Member

Sh!t, I just paid £37 for 6 litres of Carlube Triple R 0W/30. And I thought that was cheap.
Rossi-fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4th, 2014, 14:21   #25
skyship007
Premier Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by constantin0 View Post
I'm very confused about what to use on my 2002 S60 D5...and the more I read about, it, the more confused I get. 130k miles on the clock and is smoking a bit when I put my foot down suddenly (especially when cold, getting out of a roundabout in a hurry, etc). Intercooler already replaced (with a "good" used one).
GV52AWJ , in case anyone is kind enough to provide some direct links.
I bought some 0w30 on ebay but a bit sceptical, not sure if it's genuine. Some of the bottles were leaking through the caps (no additional seal under the cap):
http://r.ebay.com/2Y3n2j
I buy oil from Jerrybay, but always stick to one of the major dealers. Make 100% sure that you don't buy a DPF (C3 in most cases) rated oil unless you have to. The bottles look the same, but the contents isn't.

For more older engines it's best to move up from an x/30 to an x/40 in summer in particular.
No idea what is causing the smoke, but it might be worth using a direct feed injection cleaner like LM Diesel Purge, which can be used by just topping up the fuel filter housing when you change filters.

Old Jul 4th, 2014, 14:29   #26
skyship007
Premier Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernard333 View Post
The stuff posted by CheshireD5 in post 1 is ok for your 2002 D5 engine. My 2003 D5 has only ever had the cheapest oil available since the car was new meeting A3/B4 spec and its now done 180000 miles with no oil related wear problems, at £7.50 a gallon this is the cheapest I have seen so far.
Cheap oils sometimes work if changed often enough, but it's a gamble if you don't use a major brand oil, as the Acea certs are given out after self certification. No checks are done at all and even if the oil was in spec to start with, there is nothing to stop the mixer changing it. The limits are good, but the certification process is a joke and the car industry folks are laughing, because they really don't like older cars, they want to sell you a new one.

Shell Helix Ultra 5/40 (A3/B4) is often cheap for a real good oil, although if you have any leaks Valvoline Maxlife 10/40 seems to be the cheapest high mileage oil with seal conditioners, along with Castrol GTX 15/40 (Summer only).

If you do use an 0/30, check the PDS for the actual viscosity figures, because the OEM oil spec was for Castrol Edge 0/30 in some cases and that oil is right near the top of the 30 range. If you buy a mid range x/30 it might well be below design spec and the cheaper ones then thin down (Or get contaminated with diesel) and finish up in the 20 range. That's low enough to cause a rattle when hot and result in a higher consumption rate.

Last edited by skyship007; Jul 4th, 2014 at 14:36.
The Following User Says Thank You to skyship007 For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 4th, 2014, 14:57   #27
constantin0

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyship007 View Post
Shell Helix Ultra 5/40 (A3/B4) is often cheap for a real good oil, although if you have any leaks Valvoline Maxlife 10/40 seems to be the cheapest high mileage oil with seal conditioners, along with Castrol GTX 15/40 (Summer only).
Thank you for the suggestions, but is 5w40 not going to cause damage to the engine, as the manufacturer indication is to use 0w30? or it doesn't even matter, as long as it meets the A/B spec?
(my car doesn't have a DPF, so I've been careful not to buy the C spec)
Old Jul 4th, 2014, 16:52   #28
Bernard333
Premier Member

I am finding your posts on oil interesting and informative and I can appreciate the differences you are highlighting but I run my car on bangernomic principles rather than aiming for longevity of the engine. Having paid approx £12 per oil change and £3 per filter over the past 10 years for my D5, approx total £159 for oil for 156000 miles plus around £160 for the first two oil changes for the first 24000 miles at a main dealer . The engine shows no signs of wear at the moment but I dont feel its worth trying to make it last a long time by using good quality expensive oil as the car is worth maybe £1000. I am planning on keeping my V70 D5 to 200000 miles and will see then if its worth trying to get another 20k out of it but if it needs a new engine a D5 can now be picked up for £300 to £400.
Bernard333 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bernard333 For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 4th, 2014, 17:01   #29
Rossi-fan
Premier Member

Why is so called 'decent' or 'quality' oil so expensive in the UK? Engine oil and gear oil is so cheap in the US, it really p!sses me off this country.
Rossi-fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rossi-fan For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 4th, 2014, 18:57   #30
constantin0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernard333 View Post
I run my car on bangernomic principles
You're probably right...for cars like ours (> 10 years old) maybe it's not worth spending over £100/year on expensive oil and genuine filter(s). I suppose I'm just trying to avoid trouble. It's been smoking quite badly due to a bad intercooler (now replaced) and the whole experience made me a bit over-cautious