Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

tesco diesel in d5

Views : 14917

Replies : 96

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 10th, 2014, 11:32   #21
skyship007
Premier Member

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpliddy View Post
hi
i have been using millers diesel clean power plus for the last 10 years but with morrisons fuel . I've done 217000 miles now just had the injectors changed all 6
this engine is not the most economical as a lot of you will know but its very reliable for me and the 940 estate is ideal for my job as a carpenter .
i get millers diesel clean in 5 litres and put in 20mls to 60 litres fuel .
i did try shell fuel but i could not get a real increase in fuel economy .
but I've always used the same additive
What was the issue with the injectors ?? If you used a good fuel additive (Most products from Millers are good) it's unlikely to have been caused by gum deposits (Half of all injectors sent to a Bosch service center are just gummed up and could have been cleaned with a direct feed cleaner or even in-tank fuel additive).
The half life of a Bosch injector in set terms is about 300K miles, so if the tips were reported as blown it might have been caused by non Volvo fuel filters, or bad luck.
If you do the occasional UOA (Used Oil Analysis) it's easy to see if the injectors start to gum up, as the fuel contamination figure should be zero during the summer, with a potential trace only during the winter. Doing that once a year saves on the cost of using a fuel additive.

Everyone should DYOR (Do Your Own Research)
skyship007 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to skyship007 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 10th, 2014, 13:26   #22
jpliddy
VOC Member

Default 940 tdi auto 1995

hi i got 6 genuine injectors of ebay for £70 in the blue volvo bags old stock brand new selling them off so thought that was a better way to go than having the old ones refurbished cheaper too . yes miller is good . i have only ever put millers xfe and vw oil filters on since I've had the car 14 years now changed at 5000 miles
jpliddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jpliddy For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 10th, 2014, 20:43   #23
tt82
Forum Support Team

Filled up with 40L off Tesco Diesel on Saturday morning and have done 430 miles since. My trip computer was showing 42.3 average MPG as I pulled up at home this evening. Thats about what I would expect on 2 days of long motorway runs.

tt82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10th, 2014, 22:18   #24
Shadeyman
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tt82 View Post
Filled up with 40L off Tesco Diesel on Saturday morning and have done 430 miles since. My trip computer was showing 42.3 average MPG as I pulled up at home this evening. Thats about what I would expect on 2 days of long motorway runs.
Your Fuelly results for 9/8/2014 say you filled up with 50L of Tesco fuel and achieved 31mpg, motorway driving. That's not very good for a 2009 1700kg V70.

My 2004 2655kg XC90 regularly achieves over 45mpg on motorway journeys using normal Esso diesel.

Last edited by Shadeyman; Aug 10th, 2014 at 22:21.
Shadeyman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Shadeyman For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 10th, 2014, 22:54   #25
skyship007
Premier Member

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpliddy View Post
hi i got 6 genuine injectors of ebay for £70 in the blue volvo bags old stock brand new selling them off so thought that was a better way to go than having the old ones refurbished cheaper too . yes miller is good . i have only ever put millers xfe and vw oil filters on since I've had the car 14 years now changed at 5000 miles
6 new injectors for 70 quid!!
Now that's one hack of a Fleabay steal.

VW oil filters are good, BUT which fuel filters did you use ??

Old Aug 11th, 2014, 00:36   #26
Shadeyman
VOC Member

My friends father is a HGV driver, delivers fuels, mainly heating oil.

The reason I mention this is because he told me about "Cracking", a controversial way of producing fuel that results in diesel/petrol with a very low cetane number/RON that is most often sold by supermarkets. The better fuels, higher cetane/RON, distilled from crude are usually snapped up by the big brands, BP, Shell etc..
The cracked and crude are often mixed to varying degree's and sold as mixes but again the lower cetane/RON stuff is brought then sold by supermarkets.

Testing a fuels cetane number is a difficult process so lower than the EU standard(51) is often sold to the public as additives such as cetane boosters are expensive.
Shadeyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11th, 2014, 14:50   #27
tt82
Forum Support Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadeyman View Post
Your Fuelly results for 9/8/2014 say you filled up with 50L of Tesco fuel and achieved 31mpg, motorway driving. That's not very good for a 2009 1700kg V70.

My 2004 2655kg XC90 regularly achieves over 45mpg on motorway journeys using normal Esso diesel.
First, the link shows in US units for some reason, you need to go to the top left corner near the car name and change to UK MPG.

Secondly, I enter the information of the fuel put in at that stop. Saves me having to remember what I put in when I last fueled up. So for the tank you quoted it, it was actually BP regular diesel.

Thirdly mine is a 185bhp D5 which is often said to have worse consumption than the earlier 163bhp D5.

And lastly, it is a geartronic.

ps, I had mine on a weighbridge and it was 1,860kg.

Last edited by tt82; Aug 11th, 2014 at 14:53.
The Following User Says Thank You to tt82 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 11th, 2014, 16:51   #28
I-S
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadeyman View Post
Have you added half a tonne of lead to your car? The best figure I can find for a 2004 XC90 D5 is 2113kg.
I-S is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to I-S For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 11th, 2014, 20:22   #29
tt82
Forum Support Team

Well I've just fueled up after the mostly Tesco Diesel tank of fuel and achieved 42.3 MPG. My best ever result on Fuelly. That consisted of 3 days of mostly motorway driving. A total of 510 miles.
  • Manchester to Stoke and back.
  • Manchester to Birmingham and back. Came back via Cheshire A roads due to a congested M6.
  • Manchester to Leeds and back.

Not too bad!

Old Aug 11th, 2014, 20:42   #30
skyship007
Premier Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by tt82 View Post
Well I've just fueled up after the mostly Tesco Diesel tank of fuel and achieved 42.3 MPG. My best ever result on Fuelly. That consisted of 3 days of mostly motorway driving. A total of 510 miles.
  • Manchester to Stoke and back.
  • Manchester to Birmingham and back. Came back via Cheshire A roads due to a congested M6.
  • Manchester to Leeds and back.

Not too bad!
Long trips sometimes clean the injectors up, which can result in a better spray pattern and resulting fuel economy. The exhaust system also gets cleaned out, apart from residual ash and that also helps.