Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

New Turbo Fitted now permanent limp mode

Views : 8202

Replies : 104

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 6th, 2016, 11:03   #1
webbyd5
WebbyD5

Default New Turbo Fitted now permanent limp mode

Hi guys,
I am a new member and I currently own 2 volvos, 1 of which is causing me a lot of headache. It's a 2001 S60 D5 S.
All I kept getting is the dreaded EM6805 code after 2 weeks of owning it and have now spent 6 months and lots of £££ trying to suss were to go next. After reading a lot if threads on this site I have decided to post my progress so far and see if I can get this bloody car working again as it should.

It started throwing up the engine service required message when I was going over 70 mph on the motorway or when I gave it some beans and took the revs over 3000 rpm.

I have checked and replaced so far going off the forum posts...

Both front and rear engine mounts
Vac lines
Vac control unit
Turbo control module
Turbo
Fuel filter
Part blanked the egr
Checked all hoses and clips
Pressure tested intercooler

After trying all the above the last resort was the turbo. I had read about the vnt's becoming coked up so I gave it a bash. 1 mishap later and the turbo was smashed whilst trying to expose the internals. So I bought a good condition second hand turbo from eBay. Cleaned it externally and checked shaft and actuator. Everything was sound and moved freely.

The last job that I carried out was the turbo. It ran fine and with plenty of power for at least 2 miles then.... engine service required and now is in permanent limp mode. I also changed the oil and filter for the second time in 6 months but now - No power no turbo noise nothing. I have read the codes it was throwing up and its the same every time 6805 boost control pressure faulty. I am at the end of my tether with it now and just want the dam thing to work! I think I have had 2 weeks since owning it that it has really worked properly. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Cheers
Dave
webbyd5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6th, 2016, 11:23   #2
martin_r_smith
Premier Member

What about the MAP sensor? A faulty unit or split pipe to it would cause your problems.
Old Mar 6th, 2016, 11:40   #3
webbyd5
WebbyD5

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin_r_smith View Post
What about the MAP sensor? A faulty unit or split pipe to it would cause your problems.
Hi Martin, I have had the MAF off as well but not replaced it. I cleaned it within an inch of its life with plenty of carb cleaner.... do you think I'm better off changing it?
Cheers
Dave
Old Mar 6th, 2016, 12:07   #4
martin_r_smith
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by webbyd5 View Post
Hi Martin, I have had the MAF off as well but not replaced it. I cleaned it within an inch of its life with plenty of carb cleaner.... do you think I'm better off changing it?
Cheers
Dave
Not the maf the MAP (manifold absolute pressure) sensor
Old Mar 6th, 2016, 12:19   #5
webbyd5
WebbyD5

Oh right, sorry Martin I've not come across this in any forum (pardon my ignorance) but where is this sensor located? Is it the one in the cold air feed pipe just before the turbo?
Cheers
Dave
Old Mar 6th, 2016, 12:37   #6
martin_r_smith
Premier Member

I imagine it's on the intercooler on yours or maybe a pipe coming off the inlet manifold. Basically it tells the ecu how much boost pressure there is, this in turn sends a signal to the boost controller to regulate the boost pressure.
Old Mar 6th, 2016, 13:02   #7
webbyd5
WebbyD5

I'm going to try to locate it then give it a clean. Will keep you posted mate. Thanks!
Old Mar 6th, 2016, 13:10   #8
cheshired5
Premier Member

On a 2001, the MAP should be on top of the engine near the oil filler and you'd be best to stop spraying carb cleaner on sensors too.
With basic and cheap diagnostics, you can check the operation of your most important sensors within minutes to save guessing.
The Following User Says Thank You to cheshired5 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 6th, 2016, 14:24   #9
webbyd5
WebbyD5

Hi Cheshired5,
Yes you're right
I have managed to located the sensor on top of the rocker cover. The thing is the diagnostic tool I have been using has brought up the code EM6805 every time I drive it now and there is absolutely no turbo pressure or boost as mentioned before, but that is all I can fathom. Do you suggest I change this sensor? How would I test this?
Old Mar 6th, 2016, 14:30   #10
webbyd5
WebbyD5

Do you also suggest using contact cleaner on sensors instead of carb cleaner?
Any help would be much appreciated.
Cheers

Last edited by webbyd5; Mar 6th, 2016 at 14:32.