Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Towing and Caravan Topics
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Towing and Caravan Topics A forum for all towing/caravanning related topics

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

xc 60 70 or 90 for towing twin wheel caravan?.

Views : 1132

Replies : 3

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 4th, 2023, 18:34   #1
BMH1

Default xc 60 70 or 90 for towing twin wheel caravan?.

Im going XC because of the higher seating and they seem better for getting in and out of. I want a caravan with a double bed separate from the living area so that makes it a twin axle in most cases?. I want a diesel auto but get confused with the difference in specs, engines & actual models. I want the best for up to £10k at a push but want reliability(as much as can be had from an older car) as well as decent mpg when not pulling the caravan. Looked at a very poor smelly example of a 90 today and the owner said why would i want a 70 when they are inferior to the 90.
So what are your thoughts folks? Whats the pros and cons of the smaller cars over the 90?
Thanks in advance guys
BMH1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6th, 2023, 17:35   #2
Frank Bullitt
Scandanavian Flick

You don’t need a twin axle to get a fixed double bed, there are plenty of options without depending on budget and any other things you want.

As for the car, at your budget buy the tidiest and cleanest 2.4 5-cylinder diesel auto you can find and take it from there - few people ‘need’ a 90 but plenty of people like them but you’ll get more XC70 or even XC60 for your money.

Ultimately all will tow a van with a fixed double.
Frank Bullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Frank Bullitt For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 12th, 2023, 19:49   #3
Whyman
Premier Member

I tow a Swift 845 2000kg twin axle with my XC60 with no problems.

I get about 38 mpg solo and between 25 and 29 mpg when towing depending on the wind direction!

If you want an XC 60 go for a D5 5 cylinder which are almost bullet proof.

If you want a Fixed bed but without a twin axle look at the Swift 580 in various models. The only drawback is the fixed bed is only 6ft 1 in and you have to fold the bed up a bit during the day which is why we went for the 845.
Old Aug 14th, 2023, 18:45   #4
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

If you're looking at XC60, XC70 or XC90 the only one you want is the D5 AWD versions. And at the age you will be looking at - they are mechanically almost identical apart from the XC60 & XC70 post 2011MY had the twin turbo engine whilst the XC90 has a single turbo - but not easy to tell the difference.

So the question becomes what shape/size do you want?

The XC90 is also a P2 car so the tech is more dated, no DAB radio... but massive space and sublime comfort and they come with Nivomat rear suspension which is better for towing.

XC60/XC70 will do the job well, but XC70 values are through the roof at the moment as to a lesser extent are XC60, so XC90 will be better value.

Avoid R-Design/Sport models as the ride is harsher.
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote