Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Xc90 T6 problems

Views : 35101

Replies : 72

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 5th, 2016, 08:33   #41
hoyleyboyley

Ha! worth a shot!

I've seen on other forums some folks have fitted oil coolers to help?

Perhaps a naive question, but if gearbox oil has been changed/is fresh, how will that help with the issues of the GM gearbox?

Last edited by hoyleyboyley; Jan 5th, 2016 at 08:58.
hoyleyboyley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5th, 2016, 11:45   #42
Acer
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoyleyboyley View Post
Ha! worth a shot!

I've seen on other forums some folks have fitted oil coolers to help?

Perhaps a naive question, but if gearbox oil has been changed/is fresh, how will that help with the issues of the GM gearbox?
I have heard of people trying different grade oils to offer better protection but fundamentally that gearbox is a disaster. End of the day no amount of oil or coolers can address the fundamental mismatch between engine power and transmission in these cars. The only reason dealers sell any is because not everyone reads forums!
Acer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5th, 2016, 21:15   #43
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Quote:
assuming that the gearbox does go pop, is there a better solution than fitting another AW 4 speed?

ie, could the newer box without issues be fitted?
It's not an AISIN WARNER box (they are the 5 and 6 speed jobs fitted to all other petrol and diesel XC90). It's a GM box that Volvo modified to fit everything into the engine bay. If you read the Wikipedia page on the XC90 - a lot of it talks of the gearbox problems and Volvo's inability to solve it. Very few ever made 100k, hard driven cars didn't make 30k, so statistically it is just a matter of time. The problems in older cars are probably worsened by economy repairs by previous owners.

Buy one if you want one but set aside 5p per mile for gearbox depreciation. With petrol now much cheaper they almost make sense if you think of it like that... (and never tow anything...)

On the road the other day I saw an XC60 T6 AWD - didn't realise they existed but apparently also have the 6 cylinder 2.9 Twin Turbo - anyone know what gearbox that has got? I'm assuming it's the AW TF80-SC that the other big petrol XC90's used?
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135

Last edited by Tannaton; Jan 5th, 2016 at 21:28.
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5th, 2016, 21:53   #44
Acer
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannaton View Post
It's not an AISIN WARNER box (they are the 5 and 6 speed jobs fitted to all other petrol and diesel XC90). It's a GM box that Volvo modified to fit everything into the engine bay. If you read the Wikipedia page on the XC90 - a lot of it talks of the gearbox problems and Volvo's inability to solve it. Very few ever made 100k, hard driven cars didn't make 30k, so statistically it is just a matter of time. The problems in older cars are probably worsened by economy repairs by previous owners.

Buy one if you want one but set aside 5p per mile for gearbox depreciation. With petrol now much cheaper they almost make sense if you think of it like that... (and never tow anything...)

On the road the other day I saw an XC60 T6 AWD - didn't realise they existed but apparently also have the 6 cylinder 2.9 Twin Turbo - anyone know what gearbox that has got? I'm assuming it's the AW TF80-SC that the other big petrol XC90's used?
Funnily enough I saw an XC60 T6 two days back for the first time and also thought 'oh!'. One thing is for sure, it won't have a GM box . I am amazed Volvo still use the T6 label - tainted as it is by the XC90 debacle.

Best make that 50p per mile!
Old Jan 6th, 2016, 09:21   #45
hoyleyboyley

yeah i picked up a T6 with LPG on not so long ago - so actual running costs aren't too bad.

72k with FVSH.

It works great, but i'm obviously concerned about what i can do preventatively to make the car as reliable as possible.

mind you, suspect fixing now with uprated parts as of 2010 isn't the costly exercise it once was...
hoyleyboyley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6th, 2016, 14:49   #46
Acer
Master Member

Quote:
yeah i picked up a T6 with LPG on not so long ago - so actual running costs aren't too bad.

72k with FVSH.

It works great, but i'm obviously concerned about what i can do preventatively to make the car as reliable as possible.

mind you, suspect fixing now with uprated parts as of 2010 isn't the costly exercise it once was...
Honestly buddy there is nothing you can do, other than drive it as gently as possible. The box will go and at 72k (though not high mileage) has probably already died once already. They always work great until one day the gears slip and on comes the engine service warning. Fingers crossed it has had an easy life and with caressing will give you no hassle .

Best of luck.

Last edited by Acer; Jan 6th, 2016 at 14:58.
Old Jan 6th, 2016, 20:15   #47
adieu
Master Member

Had mine now for nearly 3 yrs and put over 25k on it(pervious owner had the box rebuilt at 60-70k). I've just had the same issues as any other xc90, lower wishbones. Alternator, wheel bearing and new battery. A new set of tyres and that's about it.

Considering I paided less than 5k for it 3 yrs ago I've done well. A D5 would have cost me nearly 9k at the time of purchase with similar millage and history.

A turbo: Exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster
adieu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6th, 2016, 20:39   #48
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by adieu View Post
Had mine now for nearly 3 yrs and put over 25k on it(pervious owner had the box rebuilt at 60-70k). I've just had the same issues as any other xc90, lower wishbones. Alternator, wheel bearing and new battery. A new set of tyres and that's about it.

Considering I paided less than 5k for it 3 yrs ago I've done well. A D5 would have cost me nearly 9k at the time of purchase with similar millage and history.
And that's the point. You can buy them cheaper, mentally set aside 5p per mile (assuming a £2.5k gearbox rebuild every 50k) and over a 3-5 year period the running costs are probably no different to an X5 or ML etc., even with the almost inevitable problems.
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6th, 2016, 20:49   #49
Acer
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannaton View Post
And that's the point. You can buy them cheaper, mentally set aside 5p per mile (assuming a £2.5k gearbox rebuild every 50k) and over a 3-5 year period the running costs are probably no different to an X5 or ML etc., even with the almost inevitable problems.
That assumes the car will be kind enough to break after all those 5 pence pieces have accumulated. Reality is that it could go at any time. You could pay 4k for one and be left paying another 4.5k a month later. Not to mention the inconvenience and danger of it failing randomly. If people want to roll the dice then good luck to them. Personally I wouldn't touch one with a barge pole
Old Jan 6th, 2016, 20:50   #50
Acer
Master Member

Worth adding, that the only reason we don't hear of more issues on this forum is because petrol XC90s are rare in the UK. It is nearly all diesels. Yes the T6 is the most common of those available but check US forums and you will find tonnes of disgruntled owners. Out there it is nearly all petrol and as such the issues are extremely widespread.

Last edited by Acer; Jan 6th, 2016 at 21:15.

Tags
awd, brakes, info display, surging