Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Xc90 T6 problems

Views : 35097

Replies : 72

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 10th, 2016, 22:57   #61
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by 400-ascona View Post
Thanks for the helpful advice. Hopefully you and your diesel wont get stuck on a field or in the snow with shredded splined sleeve, or find oil all over your drive because of a failed core plug, or heaven forbid, it wont start because the ring gear has stripped, or you find you suddenly lose power on the motorway in the fast lane, all of which are diesel issues.

I am all for warning people about the issues with T6 gearboxes before they buy the car. If they still decide to buy a T6, then thats up to them. But once they have, don't be rude about their choice of car.

I have changed the gearbox on mine, because of a drive-shaft failure. The second hand box I fitted has now done 139000 miles. I am very happy with my T6 and I am fully aware of all its potential issues. If I had my time again, I would buy a T6 again.

I fully support giving people buying advice, or advice when they have an issue, which after all is what the forum is for.
I completely agree with the sentiment of the above post, and I think it should be the last word before it gets more tit-for-tat, personal, and frankly boring. Most of us are well read, and can advise based on our knowledge if people ask us for help, but when it comes to questioning someones decision or remonstrating with them - that should be done cautiously, respectfully and only by people who have owned the cars or is their profession to repair and maintain them.

That's my last pennies worth.
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135

Last edited by Tannaton; Jan 10th, 2016 at 22:59.
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11th, 2016, 08:41   #62
Acer
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 400-ascona View Post
Thanks for the helpful advice. Hopefully you and your diesel wont get stuck on a field or in the snow with shredded splined sleeve, or find oil all over your drive because of a failed core plug, or heaven forbid, it wont start because the ring gear has stripped, or you find you suddenly lose power on the motorway in the fast lane, all of which are diesel issues.

I am all for warning people about the issues with T6 gearboxes before they buy the car. If they still decide to buy a T6, then thats up to them. But once they have, don't be rude about their choice of car.

I have changed the gearbox on mine, because of a drive-shaft failure. The second hand box I fitted has now done 139000 miles. I am very happy with my T6 and I am fully aware of all its potential issues. If I had my time again, I would buy a T6 again.

I fully support giving people buying advice, or advice when they have an issue, which after all is what the forum is for.
Yes sorry about that. Was meant to be tongue in cheek and I see your point. There are other petrols btw, you have the much rarer 2.5 twin turbo, 3.2 and V8. All their transmissions are different but I have read some concerns re the V8 gearbox on US forums but don't think it has the same issues as the T6. Could be wrong though. I chose a different model due to research about the T6 box but you are right that all cars have issues.

Indeed I have already had to change the spline sleeve and angle gear. There are definitely problems that I did not account for and I am just keen to ensure any people reading the threads are aware of them. Did the later T6s get an improved box? I am wondering why some failed at 25k and others are zooming along at over 100k without issues. I think it is the same one. Anyway here is to many happy and trouble free miles of motoring!

Last edited by Acer; Jan 11th, 2016 at 10:44.
Acer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13th, 2016, 21:51   #63
400-ascona
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acer View Post
Indeed I have already had to change the spline sleeve and angle gear. There are definitely problems that I did not account for and I am just keen to ensure any people reading the threads are aware of them. Did the later T6s get an improved box? I am wondering why some failed at 25k and others are zooming along at over 100k without issues. I think it is the same one. Anyway here is to many happy and trouble free miles of motoring!
Legend has it that the later gearbox was improved on the T6 and my gearbox is certainly one of the later ones. That said, I have nothing to back up the legend with. I do know that the gearbox is fundamentally a good box. In America they are used in high power (400bhp plus) situations (2wd). Its seems the issue is something Volvo have done with it. A couple of years ago I did begin to suffer with a sticky solenoid/valve. I took it to a Volvo dealer and asked them to download the latest software which they did for about 55GBP. The gearbox is now not as nice on the change from 2nd to 3rd when accelerating hard, so the sacrifice seems to be a bit of the smoothness at above normal acceleration levels, but the box has behaved faultlessly since (tempting fate I know). We also tow a caravan which is getting on for 1700kg.

I would have considered the V8, but as I understand, they don't like LPG, and I like the road tax on the T6 vs the V8s (which are post the cut over date for higher bracket).
Old Jan 15th, 2016, 12:46   #64
hoyleyboyley

So what's the solution to the T6 gearbox issue when it goes pop?

How do current owners ensure they get the 'uprated parts' of the newer gearbox?

Getting a refurbished T6 gearbox of the same years only serves to ensure another 30k miles maximum apparently from this box?
hoyleyboyley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16th, 2016, 21:34   #65
400-ascona
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoyleyboyley View Post
So what's the solution to the T6 gearbox issue when it goes pop?

How do current owners ensure they get the 'uprated parts' of the newer gearbox?

Getting a refurbished T6 gearbox of the same years only serves to ensure another 30k miles maximum apparently from this box?
When my NS front driveshaft failed and filled my gearbox with grease, I fitted a second hand box from a 2005 (i.e. later) Cat C damaged car (along with a brand new driveshaft!).

I have never seen anything to substantiate that the later box is better. The later software does however seem to be designed to take better care of the box as well as accommodating wear.
Old Sep 8th, 2016, 19:48   #66
DavidPalmer

Default Clarification...

There is a VERY low (sub 40k miles) 2003 2.9l T6 that I absolutely love but would equally value some clarification from those here who seem to know about these cars:

a) is the auto gearbox fail on these a guaranteed event, or can you get lucky?

b) is a higher mileage car with reconditioned and upgraded gearbox a better bet or will it, too, fail at some point?

c) is the 'upgrade' to the 3.2l or 2.5l gearbox? And if so, is this without the problems or do these cars also have failing gearboxes?

Many thanks in anticipation. We're expecting a baby this weekend so would rather not be sitting in a time bomb!!
DavidPalmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8th, 2016, 20:13   #67
DavidPalmer

Also... Would the 2.5 or the 3.2 be more reliable?!
DavidPalmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9th, 2016, 23:25   #68
ianu
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidPalmer View Post
Also... Would the 2.5 or the 3.2 be more reliable?!
In a word 'yes'. The 2.9 T6 box does not improve with age or reconditioning. If you have the choice, I'd go for anything but the 2.9 T6 and avoid the worry of when rather than if.
ianu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12th, 2016, 09:59   #69
Jules_V70R

Alternatively, I have a 2004 T6 Gas converted, spent 5K on mechanicals including a fully warranted gearbox rebuild and it is one of the best cars I have ever owned !
Jules_V70R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6th, 2016, 20:49   #70
AlistairXC90

We have a T6 bought six years ago with 60,000 miles on it and a full set of Volvo paperwork. Like others we bought it because it was cheap and fully expected to be up for a 2.5k refurb job. It has now done 110,000 and is still on the original box. It is a later model T6 with a May 2005 build date so they may well have sorted some of the issues by then.

The first owner seemed to have a bit of a mare with electrical niggles - DVD player, entertainment unit, xenon ballast MAF sensor, DEM module and so on. Mechanically it has been fine - although the prop shaft will need to come off to get the CV bearings done before it gets much colder.
AlistairXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awd, brakes, info display, surging