Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Torque rod front bushes

Views : 1617

Replies : 10

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 4th, 2015, 18:03   #1
jpws

Default Torque rod front bushes

Just replacing the rear bushes in my 1968 Amazon. After lots of sweat, cursing, rust remover, hammering and cutting nuts off, I got the suspension and torque rods out as well as the Panhard rod.

I bought a complete polyurethane bush set from Brookhouse (B676914PUK) and am wondering about the front bushes on the torque rod.
The old rubber bushes had a metal sleeve around them which is still stuck in the front end of the torque rod. Do I need to get that out before fitting new PU bushes? I think I got B662797PU bushes.
Or should I fit bushes with part no. 672226 (32mm diameter) as indicated on the Skandix site?

Any one got any suggestions/experience with replacing rubber with PU torque rod bushes?

Many thanks and happy Easter
jpws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4th, 2015, 21:15   #2
jpws

Here's a photo of the front end of the torque rod.
Is the metal sleeve part of the old bush, i.e. I need to cut this out, or is it part of the torque rod, so I need smaller diameter bushes?
IMG_0369.jpg
Old Apr 4th, 2015, 23:14   #3
amazon69
Premier Member

You have to remove that pita. Hacksaw across, hammer it out.
The Following User Says Thank You to amazon69 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 7th, 2015, 01:58   #4
Bigbunt
Bigbunt

I'm girding myself to do bushings this summer, front and rear. Love hearing about everyone's experiences....
Bigbunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7th, 2015, 22:28   #5
jpws

Hack sawed that bit out and fitted the new PU bushes, easy. Have finished one side now.

Bigbunt: Make sure you got a good vice to push out those old bushings. Add PlusGas to all nuts a few days in advance to get them loose. I also added PlusGas to the bushes in the end to lubricate them to ease their removal. The front bush on the torque rod was the most difficult to remove as it was in this metal capsule (see photo).
Fitting was reasonably easy although at times tricky to get the bushes into the spaces, esp. on the Panhard rod.
The Following User Says Thank You to jpws For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 9th, 2015, 13:24   #6
Carlsson 986

Default Bushes

jpws - well done on the bushes, even though it was a stressful exercise!!

Bigbunt - dig deep and buy new arms - much quicker in the long run and less aggravating IMO.

Did all rear arms on mine last year and arms were very crusty so went the route of replacing them with clean shiny new ones rather than spend ages on derusting, painting etc. It can be done of course. It just depends which way you prefer. See before and afters piccies.

Ric
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20140802_103723.jpg (140.4 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg 20140510_142600.jpg (365.8 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg 20140510_142627.jpg (350.8 KB, 34 views)
Carlsson 986 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Carlsson 986 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 10th, 2015, 09:26   #7
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

Those rear dampers look familiar.
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11th, 2015, 09:31   #8
Volvo Canadian
Bury me in my Volvo

My arm hurts just thinking about when I did mine.

I hope you put lots of grease in there for the next time, and good luck with the fronts if you are doing them.
Old Apr 11th, 2015, 09:56   #9
tsetse1986

Did mine over Easter too. I opted for the complete units from Brookhouse as I had plenty of other things to struggle with and the links themselves were rusty around the reinforcement flanges and needed replacing. One side came apart easily, having been soaked with penetrating fluid for a week. On the other, the front bolt had rusted to the inner metal sleeve of the old bush and had to be cut off with the angle grinder. Just as well I ordered new bolts!
Old Apr 11th, 2015, 13:29   #10
Bigbunt
Bigbunt

I can see where replacing might be a smart option... I haven't looked that closely yet but things are clunking and the though of a supple ride is very seductive. I started using SiliKroil when I got this car and the stuff is amazing, highly recommend. The front seat bolt in my car was absolutely welded with rust. A couple of days of the Kroil and the rust just crumbled.
Bigbunt is offline   Reply With Quote