Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

2007 D5 (185)....Excessive Oil Consumption & Soot Filter Ful

Views : 33666

Replies : 115

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 5th, 2017, 22:04   #51
JRL
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFlyer437 View Post
Crikey....four months since I started this thread! Well, no further down the road, other than decided to have the DPF removed and the ECU remapped (a clean of the DPF made no difference). Having it done next week - just wonder how much yours cost JRL? Did you have the EGR blanked as well? Would this be worth doing? Ironically, the car passed its MoT last week so no issues there with no DPF. Well, not until next year...
Can't quite remember how much it was now, I think I have blanked the whole episode from my memory! Somewhere between £250 - £300 I think.

Car just keeps improving now, engine is more powerful, quieter and a lot more economical. High 30's round town and no problem hitting the 50's on a run. Fuel economy readout is showing 45 at the moment with a mix of town and open road driving but we all know that isn't exactly accurate. My engine is now what it should have been like from the beginning.

I had the EGR software deleted only, no EGR blank solution for the 185 as far as I know and with the software gone maybe no need.

It is in my opinion a disgrace that Volvo have not been held to account for their inability to fix this issue. But then my car is 2008, as far as Volvo is concerned it is long out of warranty and no longer anything to do with them. Unfortunately it is us poor smucks of owners who are left to try and fix Volvo's mess.
Old Aug 5th, 2017, 23:41   #52
HiFlyer437

All sounds like a positive then!
HiFlyer437 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7th, 2017, 06:13   #53
jamie1131

Removing the DPF and deleting the EGR software might improve running and stop you getting the soot filter full message but it won't stop the oil getting passed the rings and burning. Without the DPF I suspect you'll have a car that's too smoky to use on the road.
jamie1131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15th, 2017, 21:53   #54
Colin Jason Davies

Default Intermittent soot filter full and limp mode

Hi just sold my 07 xc90 to my friend. Soot filter / engine management service been on off for a year or two , garage always said no issues and turned off faults . But said I'd have a look for him . Soot filter was very blocked so cleaned out and refitted , fitted new temperature censor as but damaged and showing fault . Cleaned erg valve and inlet pipework as carboned up. Engine running great . Been fine but then when upto temperature soot filter full and limp mode back ! Switch off few minutes and fine again for a short while then same again. Replaced dpf pressure sensor today and checked pipework etc and exactly same upto temp and then limp mode soot filter full . But I know everything clean . Any ideas ,thanks
Colin Jason Davies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16th, 2017, 06:43   #55
SwissXC90
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin Jason Davies View Post
Hi just sold my 07 xc90 to my friend. Soot filter / engine management service been on off for a year or two , garage always said no issues and turned off faults . But said I'd have a look for him . Soot filter was very blocked so cleaned out and refitted , fitted new temperature censor as but damaged and showing fault . Cleaned erg valve and inlet pipework as carboned up. Engine running great . Been fine but then when upto temperature soot filter full and limp mode back ! Switch off few minutes and fine again for a short while then same again. Replaced dpf pressure sensor today and checked pipework etc and exactly same upto temp and then limp mode soot filter full . But I know everything clean . Any ideas ,thanks
I do not understand how the garage can advise you there are no issues when your vehicle is showing you alarms and warning messages regularly. Suppressing the warning message does not cure the fault. The warning messages are there for a very good reason. Something is clearly wrong.

Check for air leaks in the air intake system (after the MAF), which can cause an imbalance in the fuel/air mixture, resulting in too much fuel being burned and thus too much soot being produced, and the DPF clogging up much quicker than it should.
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.
SwissXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2nd, 2017, 08:55   #56
EBM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRL View Post
Can't quite remember how much it was now, I think I have blanked the whole episode from my memory! Somewhere between £250 - £300 I think.

Car just keeps improving now, engine is more powerful, quieter and a lot more economical. High 30's round town and no problem hitting the 50's on a run. Fuel economy readout is showing 45 at the moment with a mix of town and open road driving but we all know that isn't exactly accurate. My engine is now what it should have been like from the beginning.

I had the EGR software deleted only, no EGR blank solution for the 185 as far as I know and with the software gone maybe no need.

It is in my opinion a disgrace that Volvo have not been held to account for their inability to fix this issue. But then my car is 2008, as far as Volvo is concerned it is long out of warranty and no longer anything to do with them. Unfortunately it is us poor smucks of owners who are left to try and fix Volvo's mess.
HI JRL.
Have your oil consumption gone down after yor removed the DPF?
Regards Esben
EBM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2nd, 2017, 11:44   #57
JRL
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EBM View Post
HI JRL.
Have your oil consumption gone down after yor removed the DPF?
Regards Esben
Oil consumption is negligible. Stays on the three quarter full point on the dipstick. To make it clear though, I never had high oil consumption, what I had was the rising oil level caused by diesel getting into the oil due to the DPF continually regenerating.
Old Sep 3rd, 2017, 13:56   #58
Horton

Interested to know if your oil consumption issue was sorted?
Horton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10th, 2017, 02:20   #59
HiFlyer437

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horton View Post
Interested to know if your oil consumption issue was sorted?
Life and summer got in the way! It's been sitting on the drive, but going in On Tuesday. If it's not cured, I'll be advertising it in bits!
HiFlyer437 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13th, 2017, 22:05   #60
Horton

We have one in at the mo. Using stacks of oil, approx 1-2litres per 1000 miles....
We have stripped it down today, car has only 80k on the clock, but as it turns out, it's not the original engine. Should have a D5244T4 but seems to have a D5244T installed, and the engine number is much older. This has the feel of a Heathrow Engine special.... loads of missing bolts, sheared bolts, rounded off bolts...... Maybe a cheap repair due to a broken belt? Anyway, it's clearly been badly recon'd so we'll need to look for a decent honest replacement.
Horton is offline   Reply With Quote