Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V40 1.9D won't rev freely and puffs blue smoke

Views : 4227

Replies : 91

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 23rd, 2018, 16:15   #51
Dirty Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobthecabbage View Post
There are quite a few posts here which I haven't read through so forgive me if the question has already been answered.

In your photo starting from the left is the solenoid for the shutoff valve on the intake. As I remember, it is open on one port and the other port is connected to the vacuum pipe for the shutoff valve.

The middle one being the boost solenoid has one pipe connected just after the MAF, one to the vacuum line and one to the turbo actuator. There should be vacuum on one of these pipes at all times (the vac line). Also on my car when you start up, the turbo actuator will slowly rise up (as the vacuum builds) and it will bounce up and down when you rev it.

The one on the right being the vacuum reserve tank has one end connected to the vacuum line and the other I think is connected to the pipe for the stop solenoid?

If you are getting no vacuum to your boost control solenoid, turbo, or shutoff valve then this is where you need to start working.

On my car I found that the vac line with the 90degree bends in was practically collapsed on the bends so replaced it.

If you have proper brake servo operation then that suggests your vacuum pump is working so you are either losing it along the way or their is a leak in the system.

You need to solve this first before you go any further. You simply must have vacuum to the boost solenoid!

I'm not really sure how your engine management light is not coming on? I can only assume there is an electrical fault somewhere!
I've tried leak testing the vacuum lines and couldn't find any that leaked. Some were worn on bends or where they'd rubbed in other pipes etc, but couldn't find any with leaks. Where do I go from here as regards the vacuum system?
Dirty Diesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23rd, 2018, 16:17   #52
Dirty Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyV7o View Post
But if you remove it and it runs much worse and you get loads of boost gushing out, you can reasonably eliminate the turbo, at least, know its not dead. Thats all that was about.
Regarding no vac to actuator, as I say, you arent likely to get a whole lot going off when free-revving the engine at rest. If you do have vnt, have you simply tried moving the actuator by hand? It should move freely (under strong spring tension) up and down (you dont need engine running) if it doesnt or only moves a few mm you've got a caked-up turbo which needs cleaning. Make sure it is a vnt actuator and not a pressure release aka wastegate. Further to that, seperately, investigate the vacuum. Keep each job seperate, dont think 'oh that system doesnt appear to be working' and try to solve the whole thing together, always do each bit alone, then progressively join them up as you go.
I've tried removing that Intercooler pipe and it does still suck air through the system as a good pressure. After light revving, a bit of vapour was coming out of the disconnected Intercooler pipe (as i only disconnected one end) but nothing that worried me. It still didn't rev pasr 3K though.

Should I try taking it round the block with the Intercooler pipe disconnected? (I disconnected it from just before the MAP if you were wondering)
Old Sep 23rd, 2018, 17:07   #53
AndyV7o
Premier Member

Nah no point doing that, you know it'll run like a bag of sh1te! Wont prove owt...
AndyV7o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23rd, 2018, 17:22   #54
Dirty Diesel

Quote:
Nah no point doing that, you know it'll run like a bag of sh1te! Wont prove owt...
Didn't think so, just checking. Well I honestly can't think of anything more that i can actually do. Just gonna have to limp it to work in the morning and check out any codes that it might be giving.

Putting petrol in it wouldn't give these symptoms would it? Just a random thought. No I haven't put petrol in it. Just that my mum put a tenner in the other day just to top it up. Can't imagine she'd put petrol in but just wanna cover all my bases xD
Old Sep 23rd, 2018, 17:29   #55
AndyV7o
Premier Member

Depending on the amount put in and diesel in the tank, petrol would either not hurt, make it cough and splutter, or just not run at all.
Old Sep 23rd, 2018, 17:30   #56
Dirty Diesel

Quote:
Depending on the amount put in and diesel in the tank, petrol would either not hurt, make it cough and splutter, or just not run at all.
Thought as much. Just checking. Looks like the old girl will be sat here a little longer. Would be a nice day for a drive too
Old Sep 23rd, 2018, 20:44   #57
Dirty Diesel

Quote:
I think I've found my problem!!

It's one of two things: it's either the vacuum hose going from the air intake to the boost solenoid, or the little nozzle for said hose on the air intake, as it does move about a bit and has probably lost it's seal over time.

I initially took that hose off and blocked it's nozzle on the boost solenoid, as i recall reading yesterday that it was a vacuum release pipe. So i thought, "maybe that's got a leak, let's just try blocking it" and low and behold, it worked! Albeit not 100%, as i only blocked it with a latex glove and a zip tie xD. But it did restore most of the power, but it restored the necessary vacuum for the actuator and shut off valve to work.

I tried it both with and without that pipe on, and it made no difference, so i assumed that there must be a leak in the hose, for it work no better with it, than without it.

We (me and my uncle) found a hairline split in the hose, so we sealed it up with self amalgamating tape and whacked it back on. Sealed for about a minute or so, then went back to gutless, only being slightly more powerful than before, without any noticeable smoke.

So that brought me to the conclusion that either the hose has expanded/split somewhere else, causing it to not seal properly, or that the nozzle on the air intake was leaking, or the end had worn down (the tip of the nozzle did look quite worn i must admit).

So i either need a new vacuum hose, or air intake pipe. Preferably both. Can't imagine they're gonna be expensive. To eBay!!
The Following User Says Thank You to Dirty Diesel For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 23rd, 2018, 21:07   #58
AndyV7o
Premier Member

Sounds like progress!
As it happened to you rather out of the blue, I guess that was the day it broke free... Either fatigue or from cleaning, maybe both... It probably managed with the split in the vac pipe until the spout broke and tipped the balance. New pipe and repair or replace that bit you may be laughing!
As a temp fix you could JB Weld it.
Old Sep 24th, 2018, 18:56   #59
Dirty Diesel

Quote:
Sounds like progress!
As it happened to you rather out of the blue, I guess that was the day it broke free... Either fatigue or from cleaning, maybe both... It probably managed with the split in the vac pipe until the spout broke and tipped the balance. New pipe and repair or replace that bit you may be laughing!
As a temp fix you could JB Weld it.
I think I'm onto a winner here mate. I was casually talking to a colleagues about my car's problem, and talking abouy purchasing parts from Renault, when we had a recovery turn up: a 2002 ish Mitsubishi Space Star... 1.9D F9QT!! Same engine, same intake and vacuum pipe that i need. So that got me thinking on my way home: I could ask the woman who works in parts, to look up either a Space Star or Charisma DI-D and find out the part numbers for those two parts I need, then order them through work!

Easy way to get brand new parts. Get them delivered straight to work, pay my boss for them, and Bob's your uncle! It helps working at a dealership xD
The Following User Says Thank You to Dirty Diesel For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 24th, 2018, 19:21   #60
AndyV7o
Premier Member

Sounds promising!
Like I said, Renault make em all up the same, some go in their cars, some go on crates to other manuf's, even most of the ancillaries bundled with em to bolt on somewhere the manuf. sees fit. 👍

Tags
blue smoke, lack of power, oil burning, slow acceleration