Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

300 yards destination adrift

Views : 858

Replies : 14

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 23rd, 2018, 12:00   #1
clevedon
clevedon

Default 300 yards destination adrift

Hi everyone
I have only just joined this forum so forgive me if I make any errors.
I bought my Volvo s80 D4 2015 just a few weeks ago and I am delighted with it.
However I have found a small niggle with the Sat Nav which 2 dealers have been confused by and Volvo have admitted this is a new one on them.
Any destination I enter tells me on arrival that "you will reach your destination in 300 yards". This is when I am actually at the selected destination. Has anyone else encountered this problem and if so has anyone found a solution.
2 dealers, Volvo techies and I would appreciate any help you may offer.
clevedon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23rd, 2018, 12:46   #2
andyg
S80 D3 Geartonic 2013

This can happen on occasions in rural areas if you enter the destination as a postcode rather than an exact address. Rural postcodes can be quite large. But if it occurs in towns and cities when you have entered an exact address then I am stumped why that would happen.
2000s: 1 x S60 diesel. 1 x S80 diesel.
2010s: 1 x S80 diesel.
andyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23rd, 2018, 15:46   #3
clevedon
clevedon

Hi andyg
Thanks for that. We do live in a rural area and I now realise that I have been entering postcodes on journeys and our home address rather than exact addresses. I will try out using exact addresses and see if that is more accurate.
Incidentally I asked my computer genius son-in-law about this and he suggests that Volvo are not using the better European satellite GPS system which is more accurate than the American commercial system. This is all a bit beyond my low level understanding.
Old Sep 23rd, 2018, 21:38   #4
clevedon
clevedon

Just tried entering home address as exact address not postcode. Still shows me 300 yards away. Very odd!!!
Old Sep 23rd, 2018, 21:59   #5
SwissXC90
Premier Member

Is the vehicle tracking your location according to the nav's map properly?

In otherwords, when you turn right at an intersection, does it show you turning right on the map at the same time as reality?
If so, then the GPS position and the map are "close enough" to find the right location

If that is the case, and your destination is still inaccurate, then you must be experiencing map inaccuracies for the street / your area.

No map is 100% perfect

Rural areas and country roads are often inaccurately mapped.

Try navigating to a city destination and see how it predicts the arrival time, and the destination location

Be well aware of the large inaccuracies in the UK postcode system: outside of a city it can be up to 20 miles away from where you really want to be! I experienced exactly this when on holiday in Scotland. No fault of the nav, it was simply how the postcode system works.
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.
SwissXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24th, 2018, 10:07   #6
andyg
S80 D3 Geartonic 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevedon View Post
Just tried entering home address as exact address not postcode. Still shows me 300 yards away. Very odd!!!
Did you test it in a town? It is not unknown for a rural numbered address to be out by that much, as SwissXC90 says, because of vague mapping. I suggest that you test it on a numbered address in a town.
2000s: 1 x S60 diesel. 1 x S80 diesel.
2010s: 1 x S80 diesel.
andyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24th, 2018, 13:49   #7
clevedon
clevedon

Thanks for your interest in this anomaly and I have found your suggestions very helpful. I have today entered a semi-rural address nearby and, as you have suggested, it is more accurate and only showed a discrepancy of 50 yards.
When I have the opportunity to next go into an urban area I will check the accuracy then. I am sure you have found the answer to this curious problem.
It is odd that my really cheapy old Garmin I formerly used was always spot on accurate all over Europe.
Old Sep 24th, 2018, 14:18   #8
SwissXC90
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevedon View Post
It is odd that my really cheapy old Garmin I formerly used was always spot on accurate all over Europe.
It is not the price of the navigation hardware that determines map accuracy, but the supplier of the map data.

Volvo buys map data from HERE, you can check their online maps at https://wego.here.com

You can search for the address in the same way you enter it in the nav using eg the street name and house number, or the postcode.
Compare the website with your car, and with reality.
You may find discrepancies.

If HERE have the street in the incorrect location, or the house numbers on the street in the incorrect place, then all maps derived from HERE data will consequently also be incorrect.
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.
SwissXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24th, 2018, 16:03   #9
Billggski

Yes, I use my post code for my home address, out in the sticks, and it says "you have arrived at your destination" a mile away from one direction and two miles in the other!
I reckon it's a security benefit, as if someone stole my car, they wouldn't then know where I live.
Having bought cars in the past still loaded with sat nav addresses, I can see where they lived and where they had been!
Billggski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27th, 2018, 02:25   #10
apersson850
Premier Member

Civilian Navstar is accurate down to three meters, with good reception. You don't need Galileo to achieve that.

There's a GPS in virtually everything now. Compare the position the car shows (lat & long) to what your phone/watch/GPS device gives you.
apersson850 is offline   Reply With Quote