Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General > 700/900 Series Sales

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Beachcomber's 940 wagon for sale [ see thread ]

Views : 3678

Replies : 32

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 4th, 2017, 12:37   #1
beachcomber550
Beachcomber

Default Beachcomber's 940 wagon for sale [ see thread ]

Due to life changing events I have to part with my 940 wagon project.

The car has been well documented here [ "Beachcomber's 940 estate - has to be modified" ], but suffice to say it will be one of the BEST bases for a project - or to restore.

There is NO structural rust and only very minor [ and I mean miniscule ] surface corrosion on a couple of places in the engine bay where the paint has come off. There is a minor surface scratching on the O/S rear wing and the smallest of dings [10p piece ] ding on the N/S front wheelarch. Factory sunroof model.

The PO spent an obscene amount of money on new [ OEM ] parts - including, cylinder head, turbo, radiator, steering rack ...... the list goes on. All documented and most work carried out within the last 10K miles.

Servicing and all most work carried out by HR Owens [ RR dealers ] in London..

I too have spent far too much !! Kilen springs, Bilstein shox, new rear box [ all that was needed for the MOT - and that only an advisory ], tow bar, OEM roof bars [ not fitted ]. I have over £2K in the car - and that doesn't include the modified / upgrade parts I've bought - available seperately.

The car was running sweet as a nut - engine, trans, brakes, steering, but the original intermittent bad starting has returned. It is an issue with one of the sensors / etc. The drivetrain runs perfectly - auto trans and engine all excellent, no noise, smoke, oil leaks, rattles etc.

I doubt you will find a car in this condition, for any model year, never mind a 27 year old car. Even my MOT guy was very impressed - and he's a miserable git normally.

Currently SORN'd, and of course with the starting issue, so will need to be trailered away..

Car will be sold with all the OEM parts - including original wheels tyres [ VGC ]and I'll re-fit the OEM air filter assy - or it can come supplied loose.

If you're looking at doing a 940 wagon - then this is the one ....... NO rust or dings/dents to sort out.

I'm very reluctant to sell, but it has to go. That said, I'm not giving it away - so don't bother !
beachcomber550 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to beachcomber550 For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 5th, 2017, 13:34   #2
beachcomber550
Beachcomber

Default pix

Photobucket have decided to remove all my hosted pix . or pay them loadsamoney ... that's not happening.

If anyone wants hi-res pix, mail me direct with your email address and I'll send them.

In the meantime here's some general pix. Also shown are the 2 small body blemishes mentioned, otherwise the body is straight and dent free.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2.3 turbo engine as bought 001.jpg (169.8 KB, 202 views)
File Type: jpg 2.3 turbo engine as bought 002.jpg (147.9 KB, 171 views)
File Type: jpg 2.3 turbo engine as bought 003.jpg (164.7 KB, 181 views)
File Type: jpg agagagagagagag.JPG (116.1 KB, 231 views)
File Type: jpg agagagagaggf.JPG (116.7 KB, 200 views)
File Type: jpg dfhhdfhdfhh.JPG (90.3 KB, 139 views)
File Type: jpg 2.3 turbo engine as bought 005.jpg (163.4 KB, 126 views)
Old Jul 5th, 2017, 13:37   #3
beachcomber550
Beachcomber

Some of the pix didn't load last time, here they are.

Well no they're not - Volvo security token missing apparently?

Last edited by beachcomber550; Jul 5th, 2017 at 13:42. Reason: add pix
Old Aug 4th, 2017, 13:07   #4
beachcomber550
Beachcomber

What, not even any interest !!!

I'm looking for around £1000 - which barely covers the new parts / upgrades [ Bilsteins, Kilen springs, tow bar, roof bars, roof spoiler, etc. ] , never mind the cost of the car in the first place.

I would consider an exchange with a motorbike / running / mot'd small car.
Old Aug 4th, 2017, 13:37   #5
baggy798
🤍💙💗

It's not a particularly desirable spec and it's sodding filthy inside man! Location of pictures taken (with tons of caravans in the background) make me think tired old workhorse.

Lots of new parts is cool but when it needs to be trailered away because of a persistent problem people will think 'money pit'. £300-400 they might take a punt, but at £1000 probably not when they can get one off ebay that runs right off the bat.
Old Aug 7th, 2017, 13:10   #6
beachcomber550
Beachcomber

Quote:
Originally Posted by baggy798 View Post
It's not a particularly desirable spec and it's sodding filthy inside man! Location of pictures taken (with tons of caravans in the background) make me think tired old workhorse.

Lots of new parts is cool but when it needs to be trailered away because of a persistent problem people will think 'money pit'. £300-400 they might take a punt, but at £1000 probably not when they can get one off ebay that runs right off the bat.
Thanx for your thoughtful input ............... guess you're not a buyer then
Old Aug 11th, 2017, 22:39   #7
bumble

It looks nice and would probably suit me well but Reddich is a little far for a viewing.

Hang in there, keep the faith, there are buyers out there.
bumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12th, 2017, 11:21   #8
beachcomber550
Beachcomber

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumble View Post
It looks nice and would probably suit me well but Reddich is a little far for a viewing.

Hang in there, keep the faith, there are buyers out there.
Thanx Bumble for your sensible response.

Let's see

"Punt" at £500

£6K's worth of RECENT new parts [ mileagewise ] by PO - including NEW [ Volvo ] cylinder head, Turbo, Steering rack, radiator, .... it goes on and on.

NO advisories on last MOT - in fact praises from the MOT guy on how good it was, especially underneath. ALL fluids [ inc. auto,PS ] changed at the MOT.

New Kilen springs and Bilsteins [ less that 200 miles].

Tow bar and OEM roof rails.

And I will reiterate - NO RUST repairs required and only 2 small marks on paint.

Apparently it's filthy - one of the club members who saw it last year commented on how CLEAN it was. I doubt if the back seats have ever been regularly used. Valet £20 ?

Yep, no way it's a giveaway. It really is down to change of life circumstances that it will go.

That said, a pal will store it under cover [if push comes to shove] until / if my circumstances change.

Again thanx for your comments.
Old Aug 14th, 2017, 16:24   #9
MiniNinjaRob
Master Member

It might be worth £1000 as you say but there's a lot more around at that price which look a lot better in the pics. Give it a thorough clean, shampoo the carpets and take some better pictures somewhere a bit nicer. Then you might be in with a chance of getting your money.

For the sake of £30 at a roadside wash place and an hour of your time you could have already sold it.

EDIT - just checked - no MOT? You're not going to like this but no-one is going to soend £1k on a 940 with no MOT and "issues", no matter how much you've spent on it. You'd be lucky with £300 for it, but you could break it for parts for more.

You've got options. Sell it cheap now as it is OR MOT it (£30) and clean it (£30) and take better pics and maybe get £7-800 for it (not a bad return on your MOT and cleaning cost) OR store it at your "pals" where you'll get nothing, the car will slowly rot away (they don't like not being used, no cars do) until it's scrapped or parted out.

I know what I'd do.

Last edited by MiniNinjaRob; Aug 14th, 2017 at 16:39.
MiniNinjaRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14th, 2017, 22:05   #10
360beast
Go redblock or go home

It does have MOT, SORN is due to no tax.
360beast is online now   Reply With Quote