Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > AWD Discussion

Notices

AWD Discussion A forum dedicated to the AWD systems fitted to Volvo cars.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Transmisson propshaft clunking

Views : 1821

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 14th, 2013, 18:14   #1
chrislparker

Default Transmisson propshaft clunking

Hi,

I have a 2003 XC90 D5 auto which has already had a new gearbox fitted a few months ago. I have been experiencing a squeek/chirping sound coming from the propshaft area although the mechanics couldn't see any fault. Today the transmission has failed again and I have what feels like a loose propshaft which is wobbling/not being held in alignment. I am not familiar with the full workings of the transmission, so:

Has anyone had a similar propshaft/transmission fault (i.e. not the gearbox itself) and what was the cause/solution/cost?

Thanks all..
chrislparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2013, 21:36   #2
GJB
Premier Member

Have you got four wheel drive check by trying to turn the propshaft by hand if it turns it is possible the drive sleeve has stripped this is a common problem on early XC90's.
Look in XC90 section to see any similar.
Who did the gearbox change as this for an exchange £4000 plus job.

Last edited by GJB; May 14th, 2013 at 21:38. Reason: Typo
GJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2013, 14:55   #3
chrislparker

Quote:
Originally Posted by GJB View Post
Have you got four wheel drive check by trying to turn the propshaft by hand if it turns it is possible the drive sleeve has stripped this is a common problem on early XC90's.
Look in XC90 section to see any similar.
Who did the gearbox change as this for an exchange £4000 plus job.
The propshaft is slopping about at the transfer case near the gearbox so it seems the drive sleeve, if it locates the front of the propshaft, is shot.

A local Automatic Gearbox Repair Centre in Brighton&Hove did the new gearbox work, I need to know if this is part of the work they have done or if it is unrelated....
Old May 16th, 2013, 19:18   #4
TiredGeek
Master Member

No, the splined coupling that strips is internal between the gearbox and the angle gear, you can't see or feel it in any way without stripping stuff down.
If you can get hold of the prop shaft and turn it by hand with all four wheels on the ground then the splined coupling is dead (if you're lucky) or the angle gear is damaged, which is about £1200.

If the prop shaft is wobbly where it joins the angle gear then it's either the gear unit itself is duff or there's a bearing in the vicinity that's collapsed.

If they've had the gearbox out or replaced it then they've had to remove the angle gear from the car at some point. Whether that's been a cause is hard to say, and probably harder to prove.

Good luck

Defected to BMW. 335d xdrive.

Last edited by TiredGeek; May 16th, 2013 at 19:21. Reason: Added a bit
TiredGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2013, 10:16   #5
chrislparker

Car is back in the Automatic Gearbox centre in Hove, and a new transfer box is required so I am looking for a second hand unit. The garage has agreed to swap the transfer box for a nominal labour charge as I have spent rather a lot of cash with them already!!

Any ideas on the variances in this part? Are there many types of transfer case on the 2003 XC90 D5?
Old May 23rd, 2013, 20:41   #6
chrislparker

My transfer case bevel gear bearing was the fault on my XC90 angle drive, see this youtube video for details...

http://youtu.be/4Af-4DhZ5p8

Needless to say I needed a replacement transfer case which I sourced from a breakers for £324 (with VAT and delivery) and the car is quiet and smooth again.

The transmission had been making a chirping noise between 35 - 45 mph which was the bearing failing, this lasted 9 months before it finally failed.
The Following User Says Thank You to chrislparker For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 30th, 2013, 18:35   #7
byootox
Premier Member

Interesting to see the inside of this transfer case, it's certainly simpler than the freelander transfer box.
byootox is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axle, differential, drive shaft, propshaft, transmission