Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > AWD Discussion
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

AWD Discussion A forum dedicated to the AWD systems fitted to Volvo cars.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

S60r AWD

Views : 1405

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 6th, 2013, 16:06   #1
hotdog

Default S60r AWD

Hi,
Recently purchased the s60r and am thinking about replacing all the fluids as ive heard the stories about the angle gears etc.

Is there a guide on how to replace all the fluids and the best way to about things? I have not owned a AWD car before and any advice or help would be fantastic.

The car is 9 years old so I would imagine it would be prudent to change the oils ?

Any advice greatly welcome
hotdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6th, 2013, 17:42   #2
GJB
Premier Member

Comment below from Clan
In my practical experience seeing lots of these cars since AWD was launched volvo are correct ( of course ) in calling these sealed for life , They use the very best SYNTHETIC oil , a lot of people do not realise what Synthetic oil is , but it doesnt deteriorate and does last for decades , you will find it is a nice brown colour which it was when new . You could spend a lot of money and time changing oil to a cheaper grade for no reason at all .
Check the level and cleanliness of course , but as long as it is clean , brown with no grey colouring it will be fine . If you have a bearing go it will contaminate the oil with metal particles of course .

And relating to auto boxes , volvo dont say they are sealed for life , they actauly have been recommending for nearly 2 decades that the oil is changed if the car is used for towing or arduous work , every 36000-48000 miles or so . I would do this anyway as it will keep your gearbox going for a long time .

Hunt for the Gibbons method for gearbox if you tow .

Last edited by GJB; Aug 6th, 2013 at 17:45. Reason: Add
GJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6th, 2013, 19:53   #3
TiredGeek
Master Member

If it's an auto, drain and refill the box a few times to get clean oil in there, then change it every 40k or so for luck. Manual, change the oil now and then every 50k if you can be bothered
Bevel gear - don't bother unless it's leaking. Same with the rear diff.

The other thing you should be doing with an R is checking the AWD is OK. If you have the money then it's a good idea to remove the bevel gear and check the state of the splined coupling, then fit a new one!
The coupling is a designed point of failure but when it gets old the splined wear and then you lose the AWD and it also frequently causes damage to the shafts, which results in much £££££ being spent to fix. The coupling will cost about £300 fitted, if there's damage to the gearbox and bevel gear shafts, add a nought....
If you don't have the money then find some wet grass, turn off the traction control and get someone to watch the rear wheels as you give it the beans from standstill. You should sit there with all four wheels spinning the same speed.

Your 4C shockers OK? Get 'em direct from Monroe if they need doing...

Defected to BMW. 335d xdrive.
TiredGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10th, 2013, 20:35   #4
Gazdok
Master Member

Other manufacturers use exactly the same AWD system - Haldex - on their cars and recommend oil changes. I do not know why Volvo do not. I had a problem with my AOD clutch (AWD Haldex) and replaced the oil when I put a new AWD clutch in. At 40000 M it was not nice and light brown anymore. I do not want to say it would not have done another 100000M but there was some debris in there.
Gazdok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11th, 2013, 20:51   #5
TiredGeek
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazdok View Post
Other manufacturers use exactly the same AWD system - Haldex - on their cars and recommend oil changes. I do not know why Volvo do not. I had a problem with my AOD clutch (AWD Haldex) and replaced the oil when I put a new AWD clutch in. At 40000 M it was not nice and light brown anymore. I do not want to say it would not have done another 100000M but there was some debris in there.
That's the Haldex unit you're talking about, Clan and I are on about the bevel gear attached to the gearbox... there's actually no drain plug on it, likewise there's no drain on the rear diff.

Don't know about the Haldex, there's not many recorded failing AFAIK.

Defected to BMW. 335d xdrive.
TiredGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13th, 2013, 23:21   #6
hotdog

im now very confused - I was hoping for a clear cut, yes this what you do scenario.
the s60 has only done 45000 but is nearly 10 years old - I was looking for some pre-preventative advice really
hotdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14th, 2013, 07:25   #7
don kalmar union
Trader

Default S60R advice.

You will find yet more owners with experience of running and maintaining these 'R' cars at www.t5d5.org.

Regards, Don.

MTE performance software , TME and Ferrita stainless exhausts, AP heavy duty clutch kits, KU single mass flywheels and LSDs. 01494 785508. email don@kalmar-union.com

www.kalmar-union.com
don kalmar union is offline   Reply With Quote