Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

my volvo 850se journal

Views : 11468

Replies : 72

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 15th, 2020, 21:14   #31
ITSv40
VOC Member

418 - 11 is the paint code. 418 is the colour and 11 is the paint type.
ITSv40 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ITSv40 For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 16th, 2020, 21:17   #32
duke1
mad mechanic

hi all well today i went and picked up and have fitted the new bosch fuel filter and took her out for a good run and once warmed up its loads better there was lots of traffic and stop starting which is when the misfire was most noticeable i think i can say i have it running as well as i can expect for a 26 yr old with 153000 on the clock!even the odometer works,rare or what?
also have her booked in for next week and get the welding done and in my shed i have an unopened 5ltr kit of ziebart rust treatment which i was lucky to grab before it got banned here due to some health and safety nonsense its the best ever product and used to cost masses of cash to have done,i shall get some pics up as work progresses,peace all and good driving
Old Sep 18th, 2020, 18:47   #33
turboboy
Master Member

Default Fuel Filter

Quote:
Originally Posted by duke1 View Post
hi all well today i went and picked up and have fitted the new bosch fuel filter and took her out for a good run and once warmed up its loads better there was lots of traffic and stop starting which is when the misfire was most noticeable i think i can say i have it running as well as i can expect for a 26 yr old with 153000 on the clock!even the odometer works,rare or what?
also have her booked in for next week and get the welding done and in my shed i have an unopened 5ltr kit of ziebart rust treatment which i was lucky to grab before it got banned here due to some health and safety nonsense its the best ever product and used to cost masses of cash to have done,i shall get some pics up as work progresses,peace all and good driving
Good to know that the filter change has resolved the problem. Was the job straight forward?

Changed the V70's this morning and was concerned that I might have a problems such as releasing the pipes, but as it turned out the problem I encountered was unexpected.

Sprayed the mounting screw with rust release a couple of days ago so didn't expect to have such trouble undoing it and was worried the nut would strip or break off. Fortunately it didn't.

Releasing the pipes and refitting to the new filter was easy. Trouble was getting the mounting bracket screw back as the holes did not line up easily due to the bracket being slightly distorted when releasing, resulting in the screw constantly cross threading. Finally resolved it by using a slightly longer screw to engage the nut without having to press the bracket together with anything other than my fingers.

Current: 1998 Volvo V70 2.3 T5 Auto.

Previous: 2000 Volvo V40 T4; 1981/2 265 (x2); 1988 740 Turbo Estate.
turboboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20th, 2020, 22:42   #34
duke1
mad mechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by turboboy View Post
Good to know that the filter change has resolved the problem. Was the job straight forward?

Changed the V70's this morning and was concerned that I might have a problems such as releasing the pipes, but as it turned out the problem I encountered was unexpected.

Sprayed the mounting screw with rust release a couple of days ago so didn't expect to have such trouble undoing it and was worried the nut would strip or break off. Fortunately it didn't.

Releasing the pipes and refitting to the new filter was easy. Trouble was getting the mounting bracket screw back as the holes did not line up easily due to the bracket being slightly distorted when releasing, resulting in the screw constantly cross threading. Finally resolved it by using a slightly longer screw to engage the nut without having to press the bracket together with anything other than my fingers.
hi it was an easy job i guess the previous owner had the same trouble as you and had thrown away the original bracket and the fuel filter was held on with cable ties and had no guard or protection i have made a new ali cover for it just to make sure its safe,the clips are a little scary and like you i was worried something would break but looks like i was lucky and all looks good in that department,however the cooling system has again leaked into the passenger footwell,it seems the only pipe or part of the cooling system i didnt change the bulkhead fitting was leaking so today i bypassed the heater and have removed the silly coupling cut the pipes and made ready to replace the coupling with heater hose straight through i just hope and pray thats it then im fed up playing under the dash now!
i still dont believe just how many o rings and bits of crappy plastic they can put on one part that just needed hoses?daft design imo esp not having a heater bypass control,even crappy old bl minis had a bypass valve there needed in warmer climates or car is a cooker!of course it would help if i had working ac but thats looking like a pipe dream atm!take care and happy motoring,peace
Old Sep 21st, 2020, 15:09   #35
duke1
mad mechanic

Default deleted firewall coupling

hi all well i decided today i have removed the stupid firewall coupling for the heater matrix and put it where it should be ,in the bin!for now ive bypassed the heater so still mobile and monday i shall go pick up some heater hose and finish the job it looks like the culprit for my puddle in the passenger footwell and i hope to hell its the last bloody leak,new waterpump,radiator and hoses and matrix and now the coupler i dont thinkit leaves much.peace
Old Sep 15th, 2021, 22:50   #36
duke1
mad mechanic

Default mot passed again!

hi all well the old girl passed her mot and this time flew through the emissions
so all my work on her engine was worthwhile and the only noted advisory is the rear suspension top mounts rubber perished but not enough to fail it but i do want to do them as i have a clunk from o/s/r when i go over a big bump or rail crossing,is it a best bought volvo part or can i get away with a decent pattern make?seems prices vary a lot and not heard of half the makes but corteco was one i recognise as used to be ok,are they any good now though?
im told its not a difficult job is this true?and can anyone tell me do i have to compress the spring,i have spring compressor but there very old and i bent one using for a different job,,,
i shall gets some pics up again soon of all the work ive done,she looks atleast a year or 2 younger!peace
Old Jan 12th, 2022, 19:56   #37
duke1
mad mechanic

hi all today i did an gearbox oil change on the 855 it was not real dirty looking and no metal bits around however the gears are stiff when you first start driving and loosen up to normal after a few miles i know the linkage is via cable can anyone tell me if these can or should be lubricated ? also the front windscreen wiper arms are knackered and seem impossible to obtain the correct one! i looked all over the web in the uk and ended up using r and d car spares in sweden not realising there lh drive only suppliers so now stuck with arms that dont fit and cost more to send back than there worth! :roll:
the breakers here are crap and lazy if you cant remove a part with a machine they wont remove it and so much good stuff is wasted right hand drive parts seem harder to find.
if anyone can help with the wiper arms id be grateful,cheers all
Old Jan 28th, 2022, 21:06   #38
duke1
mad mechanic

Default matrix again!

hi all well it seems my heater matrix is leaking again! only fitted at end up 2019 and had antifreeze a plenty so no reason for it ,so i messaged the seller and told them as it has a 5 yr guarantee but ebay history will not go back to 2019! made it a right hassle finding invoice etc,just hope there as good as they were with the radiator i had to refit so far the valeo one has held up good i hope i get a valeo matrix this time.
a good job there not hard to change aye?
must admit coolpartsuk did respond within an hour of messaging them and a replacement being sent no quibble just annoying having to do it again,but i know how now and its easier since i fitted the flexipipe work
these things are sent to try us and try us they sure do!
Old Jun 5th, 2022, 21:00   #39
duke1
mad mechanic

Default small problem,question!

hi all ive not posted in a while as the car has been great since i finished the work most in need of doing,playing catch up now with the last odds and sods,i tackled the baggy headlining after a lot of thought i decided against trying to detach it entirely due to very brittle plastics that snap at any sign of pressure i came up with a cunning plan!
so simple it seems dumb not to try it,all i done was get a syringe full of thin contact adhesive and inject it through the cloth and squirt a few mls every couple of inches support using a sheet of plywood and a couple of broom handles and after a few cups of tea and some lunch all is set and no longer baggy and the cloth looks as good as ever!
next job i found the other day when under the car is the big clamp that holds the fuel filler neck to the fuel tank has severe rust and is split right down the middle both sides,ive no idea whats holding it on and typical i just filled it to the top so now think i have to drain it to fit the clamp but am wondering does it have a seal of any kind ?this is what im talking about,
Attached Images
File Type: jpg s-l300 tank clamp volvo.jpg (8.1 KB, 11 views)
Old Jun 5th, 2022, 21:35   #40
4x4
I roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by duke1 View Post
next job i found the other day when under the car is the big clamp that holds the fuel filler neck to the fuel tank has severe rust and is split right down the middle both sides,ive no idea whats holding it on and typical i just filled it to the top so now think i have to drain it to fit the clamp but am wondering does it have a seal of any kind ?this is what im talking about,
I don't think there is a seal, it fits tightly round a shaped flange and holds it tight. If it was me I would remove the old clamp and refit new one without disturbing any of the pipework
Volvo 850 GLT website
4x4 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 4x4 For This Useful Post:

Tags
850, 855, journal, restore