Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

What did you do to your 850/X70 today???

Views : 147799

Replies : 929

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 22nd, 2020, 09:29   #511
RollingThunder
Grumpy Old Git

Quote:
Originally Posted by attilat5 View Post
Fitted the do88 RIP kit!

Trying to get the pic to work

https://flic.kr/p/2jyAfLU
Not envious at all... he lied
RollingThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22nd, 2020, 12:19   #512
Derek UK
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Cox View Post
The trouble is they now show up the rest of it!
Are your rear tyres "BAK ONES".
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Derek UK For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 20th, 2020, 20:02   #513
Martin Cox
VOC Member

So today's job was to adjust the dynamic timing on the V70 Tdi. My Tdi uses the MSA15.7 ECU and I'd recently bought the 850 OBD 2 app and the dongle recommended by 4 x 4. Once I'd found my way around the app, it does seem to work well and critically, it has a dynamic timing function.

Once I'd got the knack of using this, it gave a reading of -2.8 degrees at fast idle (1200 rpm) which is just outside the spec. I had noticed it needed a couple more turns than usual for a cold start but otherwise was running fine.

There is a limited range of adjustment available by moving the idler pully on the injection pump belt but it was already as far advanced as possible. Nothing for it but to reposition the camshaft pulley driving the injection pump belt.

Of course I overdid it and ended up with a reading of +7 degrees. So I moved the idler to its mid position which gave a reading of about +4 degrees and then had another go at shifting the pulley.

I probably moved it through no more than 2mm measured at the pulley rim but this brought it to -0.4 degrees. Close enough!

I may be imagining it but it does seem a little smoother, quieter and possibly livelier too.

I can heartily recommend the app and I've found it reads the automatic transmission codes, the ABS unit and the SRS stuff too.

I'm no expert but should anybody in the Hull area need help with dynamic timing, provided it's the MSA15.7 then I may be able to help. I now have all the kit you need.

Having sorted that lot out, I noticed one of the injector leak-off hoses was wet with diesel. Annoying, since I replaced the lot three years ago when I had the cylinder head off. The originals had lasted eighteen years and still seemed fine but it seemed to make sense to replace them at the time. Since this is the second one that's failed, I'm beginnning to wish I hadn't bothered!

Martin

1998 V70 Tdi SE Auto, 227,000 miles
2008 V70 2.4D Auto 117,000 miles
Martin Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1st, 2020, 21:45   #514
Cookeh
Premier Member

New upper torque mount as mine was destroyed... I didn't even need to cut or punch the centre out as it had already detached. I just used two g-clamps to wind the new one in, none of this faffing around creating a puller tool.

I also stumbled across the correct rear spring seats for my non-nivomat car in the shed. No idea why my car (which didn't have Nivos from factory) had the Nivo spring seats but whatever. They were quickly swapped out, so I regained 20mm of rear travel:

Next up I overhauled my front suspension, which had worn upper spring seats. During teardown I noticed the cross nuts were missing and the dust boost were mounted incorrectly, so I sorted that too. The missing cross nuts explained why I had so much thread visible at the top of the struts, something I had been pondering for some time.

Upper torque mount was replaced with a MeyleHD item (P/N5149434263/HD), whilst the spring seats were replaced with Lemforder items (P/N: 20152 01).
Old Oct 2nd, 2020, 00:01   #515
RaelG

Spoiler alert

Test fitted rear wing
Old Oct 2nd, 2020, 19:00   #516
Martin Cox
VOC Member

Changed the instrument panel illumination bulbs. The two right hand ones I could do by reaching up behind the dash without too much difficulty. Although still working, the bulbs were virtually black; not too surprising after 22 years and 227,000 miles.

The new bulbs made such a difference I had to do the other two. Unfortunately I couldn't reach these so the top facia had to come off to remove the instrument panel. It was easier to remove and replace than I expected. My car doesn't have a passenger airbag which helps.

A worthwhile exercise. The bulbs are a 3W wedge base type.

Martin

1998 V70 Tdi Auto
Old Oct 2nd, 2020, 19:17   #517
Cookeh
Premier Member

That's something I'd like more info on! Could you perhaps expand on it - especially reaching up for the RHS ones. I've only ever seen people do it by removing the dash pad. Could you also link the bulb you've used? Im dreadfully lazy and would prefer to buy a known entity than do my own research.
Old Oct 2nd, 2020, 20:55   #518
XCR
Master Member

I too would love to see more detail on that. I'm trying to find time to remove the top dash and flock it so changing bulbs as well would make sense.
XCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2nd, 2020, 22:18   #519
Martin Cox
VOC Member

Yes, of course. I'll pull something together for you in the next day or so. Fortunately I took a few photographs as I went along.

Not rushing at it and never having done it before, it took me about an hour or so. If I had to do it again I could probably do it comfortably in half the time.

https://www.partsforvolvosonline.com...5f39cd99c43117

This is one possibility for replacement bulbs.

However I used some from RS Components, RS Part No 106-379.

They are a 12 Volt 250mA T3 1/4 wedge base lamp rated at 3 Watts and apparently have a rated life of 1000 hours.

Martin

Last edited by Martin Cox; Oct 2nd, 2020 at 22:52.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Martin Cox For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 3rd, 2020, 09:53   #520
RollingThunder
Grumpy Old Git

Bought some new shoes for my S70 - went with some all season Hankook ones this time.

These are supposed to be as good as std/summer tyres in temperatures over 7degrees, but are far better once it gets below that. Great in wet/dry braking and aquaplaning resistance, and rated well in handling, so we'll see!

(I know they won't be up to Michelin PS4 levels in the summer, but I'm a 50+ year old steady driver so don't need that race track handling )
RollingThunder is offline   Reply With Quote