Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

electric impact wrench

Views : 1852

Replies : 14

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 28th, 2019, 12:10   #1
arcturus
arcturus

Default electric impact wrench

Hi, I may be looking to buy an electric impact wrench in the near future if I have to pull the engine from PV. Any recommendations bearing in mind that it won't get too much heavy use in the future.
Old Oct 28th, 2019, 14:54   #2
Derek UK
VOC Member

Cable or battery? What's your budget?
For the half a dozen or so bolts that need to be undone for engine removal perhaps not a must have but when you see videos of them being used it always looks a good idea. Not so easy to get a gun into the engine bay area and extensions can make for a clumsy job. You really need a big do anything gun and a small one just to speed up general jobs.

Big, good, expensive. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r06jxlMx-L4
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28th, 2019, 17:54   #3
arcturus
arcturus

Derek,I will be in all probability pulling the engine out to do the rings etc. Over haul the engine over Winter. The pulley and timing gear nuts I know from previous experience need the impactor to get them off. I hear what you say about the fiber gear but the one on the 144 lost teeth, didn't separate and it was the ticking noise that started off. I won't feel happy unless i check it. Will try to borrow one first if possible.
Old Oct 28th, 2019, 18:59   #4
amazon69
Premier Member

Lidl are selling a cheap one at the minute, at least over here they are. £30. So about 10 euro
The Following User Says Thank You to amazon69 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 28th, 2019, 22:01   #5
Faust
Master Member

I've got a Dewalt DCF889 gb - had it for a few years and I LOVE it!

Not found a bolt it won't undo yet - rusty suspension bolts on my girlfriend's V70 that hadn't been shifted in 20 years? No problem.

Rear trailing arm bolts on my Amazon? Undid them like they were not even tight!

Delta link bushes on the V70 (supposed to be a swine of a job), using the correct puller, I did both sides in 2 hours with the Dewalt.

Cost a fair bit (think it was £290 on offer with case, 2 batteries and a charger) but it's paid for itself many, many times over.

I used to have a cheap Clarke impact battery gun that struggled to get the wheel bolts loosened on the V70... the Dewalt doesn't even break a sweat.

100% recommend getting one of them.

Last edited by Faust; Oct 28th, 2019 at 22:04. Reason: Extra info
Faust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29th, 2019, 07:41   #6
red122
Master Member

Default electric impact gun

I have a cheap clarke one from Machinemart . Electric .
It is great for undoing rusted bolts but i dont use it fro tightening up as there is no fine control and i could see it could easily overtighten things . Very powerful
red122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30th, 2019, 00:14   #7
Tail
Master Member

I use a lot of the cordless Worx tools so when i thought about getting an impact wrench i got the Worx version as i already had the batteries. 3 settings and i have only found one bolt so far that needed persuading with a long bar first then finished it with the impact wrench. A little noisy but does the trick.
Tail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31st, 2019, 20:18   #8
tdz840
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek UK View Post
Cable or battery? What's your budget?
For the half a dozen or so bolts that need to be undone for engine removal perhaps not a must have but when you see videos of them being used it always looks a good idea. Not so easy to get a gun into the engine bay area and extensions can make for a clumsy job. You really need a big do anything gun and a small one just to speed up general jobs.

Big, good, expensive. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r06jxlMx-L4
I’ve the desalt a number of years, it’s a great tool and replaced a makita that was pants.
The only wish would be a torque setting. Mines an old version and the latest may have this.
18V is all you need
tdz840 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31st, 2019, 21:19   #9
ASt85
Premier Member

I recently bought a cordless Aldi Ferrex Impact Driver, 40V Battery & Charger for £65 which spins off the V0 wheel bolts with ease - it is quoted as 180Nm torque.

It has worked well on an assortment of rusted nuts/ bolts but I've not tried it on any bolts/nuts over 19mm - the downside that I can see is that it is a ⅜ drive which to my mind isn't enough metal in the adapter shaft to cope with anything anywhere near 180Nm torque to undo or do up on the other hand an impact driver does seem to overcome many problems.

I carry a 12v Cougar impact driver in the boot bought for around £25 delivered, including 4 sockets and an extension bar, from the now defunct Bid TV some years ago, it is no light weight at around 6lbs, but whips the wheel bolts off really quickly - works best with the engine running - I've no idea what the torque rating is, but believe you me if my feet are not firmly planted on the ground and bracing my body against the car side, there's enough torque developed to spin me, and I'm not exactly a light weight - there's a spec here https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Impact-Wr...ets/B0095VU5T6 but apparently not in stock.

There are lots of choices out there, it really depends upon how much you want to spend, what you intend to use it for and how often you intend to use it. Go for a brushless variant if you can they tens to be more reliable in the longer term but much comes down to quality of the bearings and gearing.

If i was buying again any money wasn't the priority I'd probably go for a Milwaukee, Dewalt or Makita but only the brushless higher voltage battery models.

V70 SE 2004 2.3L T5 Geartronic, C70 2005 2.0T Automatic, Sold 2.4l 20 Valve Automatic Torslander Sold 854 GLT 20v Auto
ASt85 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ASt85 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 31st, 2019, 21:29   #10
Dancake
Premier Member

I also use a DeWalt DCF899GB. The batteries have sliding switches that allow you to select up to three different power settings. Very handy when you don't require all of the brut force that the tool is capable of.
Dancake is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dancake For This Useful Post: