Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Juddering on cold pull off.

Views : 949

Replies : 11

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 17th, 2020, 18:55   #1
pspencer1983

Default Juddering on cold pull off.

Hi all,

Over the last several months I have noticed there is a judder (almost like wheel spinning) when pulling away whilst the car is cold (external ambient temp also >10C). When the car gets to temp everything seems to settle down and behaves / pulls from stand as expected with no judder.

Is this the sign of the Clutch wearing out / issue? Slave cylinder issue? Injector issue?

I have checked the brake fluid levels and since noticing (start of year) I have topped up by half a cap full (2 weeks ago) and levels have still remained. This did improve things for a week or so but now is back. Pumping the clutch before starting the engine or pulling off does tend to improve things also. If the Air Con is on this tends to worsen the judder.

I have driven the car to 4k rpm in 2nd then straight to 6th with full throttle and the car chugs steadly up to speed (as I would of expected which would eliminate any potential clutch slip?).

Car has been checked (whilst in for Air Con issues) and no codes, any thoughts? and thanks in advance.

2008 2.0D 96K
pspencer1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18th, 2020, 02:08   #2
Bashy
Aged Member

With thanks to Google

Clutch Judder Definition: Clutch judder is caused by the clutch components and the flywheel not meeting concentrically or mating properly. This generally happens after the vehicle has come to a complete stop and the clutch is re-engaging.

When I had this issue many, many moons again (Montego lol), more revs helped or holding down the clutch longer before letting go
Old Sep 18th, 2020, 10:54   #3
Simmy
Premier Member

is your car an auto = powershift gearbox? i can advise you if it is.
Simmy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18th, 2020, 11:58   #4
pspencer1983

Hi both,

Many thanks for coming back.

Simmy, No the car is a manual and yes as Bashy rightly stated, the more revs or riding of the clutch does improve things.

But the big question...
Is the clutch or something related on its way out??

Thanks again.
Old Sep 18th, 2020, 13:17   #5
PNM

We have a Mazda that does this (also ford focus derived). It's only does it when the engine is cold and when the weather is cold and damp. It's not got any worse in the 30,000 mines we have had the car.

The judder is not affected by having the AC on though. Are you sure it's definitely coming from the clutch, and not an injector or engine managment or traction control issue? I would recommend getting a decent diagnostic scanner that does live data and try and recreate the problem with it connected before you start dismantling the clutch assembly.

Someone in one of the V70 forums had a similar problem and found that on of the abs rings was slightly damaged and was making the engine cut the power intermittently creating the sensation of clutch judder https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showp...76&postcount=2
PNM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18th, 2020, 15:36   #6
Adrijan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmy View Post
is your car an auto = powershift gearbox? i can advise you if it is.
Hello, sorry for "stealing" the thread, but could you post this advice anyway? I have the powershift gearbox and I'm wondering about this, as it happens sometimes especially when cold.
Adrijan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18th, 2020, 19:55   #7
Simmy
Premier Member

the powershift gear box has 2 clutches that are actvated by the engine speed the clutch that takes up the action of moveing from a stand still sometimes judder which fells like wheel hop. to st op this you need to do a couple of swift accelerations foot to the floor this rubs off where the clutch has been bounceing and will stop the judder power shift gear boxes dont like very slow take up this is what make them judder there are some videos on you tube which show this fix on a ford / same gear box . look for fiesta powershift problems this worked on my c70 which was juddering badley when i first bought it iv had no problem since also the transmission fluid should be changed at 50k it also has an exrternal filter which should be changed with the fluid
Old Sep 19th, 2020, 15:48   #8
Adrijan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmy View Post
the powershift gear box has 2 clutches that are actvated by the engine speed the clutch that takes up the action of moveing from a stand still sometimes judder which fells like wheel hop. to st op this you need to do a couple of swift accelerations foot to the floor this rubs off where the clutch has been bounceing and will stop the judder power shift gear boxes dont like very slow take up this is what make them judder there are some videos on you tube which show this fix on a ford / same gear box . look for fiesta powershift problems this worked on my c70 which was juddering badley when i first bought it iv had no problem since also the transmission fluid should be changed at 50k it also has an exrternal filter which should be changed with the fluid
Thanks for the advice.

Although, to my knowledge, the Powershift gearbox in these 2.0d Volvos uses multiplate wet clutches which are way better than the singleplate dry clutches used in the Focus and the Fiesta, and I'm not sure if the "clutch scrubbing" advice would work with these wet multiplate clutches. I'll have a go at this tho and see if there's any improvement.
Adrijan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19th, 2020, 16:19   #9
Simmy
Premier Member

2 plates 3 gears operated by each clutch 135 first clutch 246 for the second clutch there is lots of info on wicipedia is a complex system not fords best and clutch replacement requires lots of specilist tools so best left to an auto box company hope you get it sorted
Old Sep 22nd, 2020, 08:53   #10
pspencer1983

Thanks for the replies.

I would expect if it was anything to do with the ABS reluctor ring, would this not throw up a dash fault light during the judder and furthermore, I wouldn't expect the judder to dissapear once the car is up to temperature or the added revs, I would expect a continual issue regardless of car / ambient temperature?????
The Following User Says Thank You to pspencer1983 For This Useful Post: