Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Noisy power steering pump

Views : 8031

Replies : 31

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 25th, 2007, 18:55   #11
Jayceem

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotsgent View Post
Hi JayceeM,

My reservoir is the same (seperate). I had a look into it. There does seem to be an integral moulded pipe built into the internal side of the reservoir which I think takes the returning fluid back to the reservoir beneath the normal level of the fluid.

Although my fluid is new (I did a flush and change a couple of weeks ago), its as black as night inside the black reservoir and even with a torch its difficult to see what is going on in there.

I would be interested to hear what your garage says though. As I say, no brass section is visible. I can quite see how if the fluid were 'frothed', then this would take air bubbles back to the pump and might cause the noise we both have?
Cheers, Terry
hi terry
that will be the pipe thats broke on mine maybe it is nylon rather than brass as it is hard to see it right as it is rattling about the bottom of the reservoir as i say iam getting the car back on monday so i will give an update after that
JayceeM
Jayceem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2007, 17:33   #12
Jayceem

Smile Sorted!!

Hi
Got new reservoir fitted all quiet now!! Next on the list is the MAF.and hopefully that will be the last raid on the wallet for a while
JayceeM
Old May 30th, 2007, 10:51   #13
scotsgent

Hi JayceeM,

Did the garage explain how or why your reservoir had failed?

Was it the internal piping or something else? For the life of me, I cant see how the internal piping could fail, it receives no wear or vibration and is part of the moulding of the tank.

Cheers, Terry

Last edited by scotsgent; May 30th, 2007 at 12:48.
scotsgent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4th, 2007, 22:42   #14
Jayceem

Hi
the internal pipe had parted company from the inlet - how this happened your guess is as good as mine but when the garage phoned main dealer to order one they were not surprised som it appears to be something that does happen - i wonder if anyone else has encountered this?
as i say all is hunky dory now even fitted the new Maf tonoight and the infernal light has gone out - HAPPY DAYS
Cheers
Jackie

Last edited by Jayceem; Jun 4th, 2007 at 22:44. Reason: spelling goof
Old Sep 6th, 2007, 13:11   #15
upv5
VOC Member

I've revived this thread because I had the same noisy problem and at last I've found the cause.
The power steering was virtually silent when started from cold but after a few miles the "grinding" noise appeared when lock was applied. I asked my dealer to check when the car was serviced but he found nothing wrong.
The noise is certainly because the fluid is being frothed up and the air is getting to the pump, no amount of bleeding would stop the frothing so I looked further.
My 2000 classic V70 has the remote reservoir and there is a brass pipe in the return from the rack, Volvo call this a restrictor on Vadis. I found I could quite easilly move the pipe in and out and guess what, the noise changed.
I did not know what the correct position of the brass pipe should be so I guessed that one end would be flush with the end of the plastic reservoir pipe. I removed the feed from the rack and pushed out the brass pipe to check for damage, none could be seen so I put the pipe back ensuring the end was flush with the plastic. I refitted the flexible rack return pipe and fitted a new jubilee. It seems this clamp is all that stops the brass pipe from moving so I did it up tight.
The power steering is now as it should be quiet at all times and it only cost a jubilee clip.

The position of the brass pipe appears to be very important and in time it can move. this affects the way the fluid impinges on the far side of the reservoir and then leads to frothing and noise.

This won't cure a pump that's past it's prime but if you get these symptoms, please check the pipe before you start spending money at the stealers.

John

2000 V70R AWD - SWMBO 2017 XC60 D5 AWD --- Previous - 2009 V50 D5 SE LUX - 2000 V40 SE 2.0 - 1986 760 GLE 2.8
upv5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3rd, 2007, 15:15   #16
TonyBeno

Quote:
Originally Posted by upv5 View Post
I've revived this thread because I had the same noisy problem and at last I've found the cause.
The power steering was virtually silent when started from cold but after a few miles the "grinding" noise appeared when lock was applied. I asked my dealer to check when the car was serviced but he found nothing wrong.
The noise is certainly because the fluid is being frothed up and the air is getting to the pump, no amount of bleeding would stop the frothing so I looked further.
My 2000 classic V70 has the remote reservoir and there is a brass pipe in the return from the rack, Volvo call this a restrictor on Vadis. I found I could quite easilly move the pipe in and out and guess what, the noise changed.
I did not know what the correct position of the brass pipe should be so I guessed that one end would be flush with the end of the plastic reservoir pipe. I removed the feed from the rack and pushed out the brass pipe to check for damage, none could be seen so I put the pipe back ensuring the end was flush with the plastic. I refitted the flexible rack return pipe and fitted a new jubilee. It seems this clamp is all that stops the brass pipe from moving so I did it up tight.
The power steering is now as it should be quiet at all times and it only cost a jubilee clip.

The position of the brass pipe appears to be very important and in time it can move. this affects the way the fluid impinges on the far side of the reservoir and then leads to frothing and noise.

This won't cure a pump that's past it's prime but if you get these symptoms, please check the pipe before you start spending money at the stealers.

John
I wish I'd found this thread before I changed my PAS pump amd rack it would have saved me a fortune. I learned a valuable lesson though ALLWAYS check the posted threads first!!!!!!

Tony
TonyBeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18th, 2007, 19:07   #17
Jayceem

Hi tony
i have just revisited this thread as i kicked it off -sorry you had to do all the other bits before finding the problem if its any consolation i think i might need a steering rack now as i seem to be losing fluid its been to wet to check under the car yet for any signs of the dreaded leakage. Did you get your rack new or rebuilt? any good sources of reasonably priced ones should i need one?
Cheers
JackieM
Old Aug 16th, 2009, 06:52   #18
v70x
VOC Member

hi guy's does the same problem with the pipe exist on the later built on resevoirs to the pump. i have a similar problem think it may be the pump.
Old Mar 21st, 2010, 09:20   #19
S A T

I've just had the brass pipe problem described in this thread. If you check out my thread S80 steering pump noise, you'll get some more detail but, basically, there is a brass pipe that sits inside the inlet from the top hose returning the fluid to the reservoir. The end of this pipe protudes into the reservoir and fits into a black elbow-shaped pipe that angles downwards to the bottom of the reservoir.

Sometimes (don't know why), the elbow-shaped pipe slips off the brass pipe so the returing fluid just pours into the reservoir above the surface of the fluid. This seems to allow air to get into the fluid and causes what is called cavitation in the steering pump. A nice description of why this causes a whining/howling noise can be found here http://www.thirdgen.org/noises-power-steering-pump.

If you can see a brass pipe sticking out inside the reservoir when you take off the cap, then you will find the black plastic pipe lying at the bottom of the reservoir. If you take a piece of wire and bend it into a hook at one end, you'll be able to fish this pipe back up and refit it to the brass pipe. And, miraculously, that's the end of the whining from the pump. Wish I had known this before I replaced both pump and rack!!!
S A T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25th, 2010, 15:09   #20
upv5
VOC Member

Smile

Gold star to S A T,
In the past it took me ages to position the brass pipe to reduce the frothing and resultant pump noise. It never struck me there was a piece missing and Vadis was no help either.
Anyway last night I went fishing and low and behold at the bottom of the reservoir was the missing part. Soon had it refitted on the brass tube and power steering is permanently silent.
Total cost Nothing
Thanks again S A T.

John

2000 V70R AWD - SWMBO 2017 XC60 D5 AWD --- Previous - 2009 V50 D5 SE LUX - 2000 V40 SE 2.0 - 1986 760 GLE 2.8
upv5 is offline   Reply With Quote