Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Noisy power steering pump

Views : 8049

Replies : 31

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 5th, 2010, 20:20   #21
silestanix
Returning Member!

damn i wish I'd read this before I paid the garage for a new reservoir etc...

Project thread - https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=330004 Closed - Sold.
silestanix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2012, 20:32   #22
Guy Dickinson

Hi, Jayceem. I just read this post. I have a V70. After a while the steering gets pretty noisy - especially on extreme lock. Also seems to vibrate a bit. I shouldn't have, but at one time I opened the reservoir cap and it was pretty frothy. Mechanics seem to shrug and say - no problem. Trouble is when they listen its usually cool by then - and then its quite quiet. Did you find anything out in the end? Thanks.
Guy Dickinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2012, 21:04   #23
jasmith44
jasmith44

do a search on here "power steering pump" STEERING :70, it is halfway down 2nd page.Jim
jasmith44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2012, 07:55   #24
Guy Dickinson

Sorry - I must be a bit dim. But when I do that search, on the second page there is a Steering 70 - which power steering fluid? Is that what you mean
Old May 15th, 2012, 09:27   #25
jasmith44
jasmith44

Hi Guy,do the search ""power steering pump"go to page 2 and scroll down to STeering :70 power steering issue by Oldgreen.Jim
jasmith44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2012, 12:52   #26
AndyJudge
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayceem View Post
Hi
the internal pipe had parted company from the inlet - how this happened your guess is as good as mine but when the garage phoned main dealer to order one they were not surprised som it appears to be something that does happen - i wonder if anyone else has encountered this?
as i say all is hunky dory now even fitted the new Maf tonoight and the infernal light has gone out - HAPPY DAYS
Cheers
Jackie
Yep we've got the same issue on our 2001 C70
Dealer has had a look & diagnosed the issue, just need to order part & get a sunny weekend to replace it.

Dealer mentioned it was a common fault

Or go fishing for the elbow & then reattach it

Last edited by AndyJudge; May 15th, 2012 at 12:55.
AndyJudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2012, 13:44   #27
Guy Dickinson

Thanks a lot - actually found it by searching "Oldgreen". Very useful.
Old Aug 19th, 2017, 20:29   #28
850Nut

Default Noisy Power S/Pump

I think i have the same problem as PowerNut. After I had a rebuilt Rack installed
My pump is real noisy like it is having to work real hard and by-pass oil thru the
Relief valve on the pump. 3rd pump installed same noise. The 1 way way valve
Causing the problem PowNut said it was in the neck of the Rack..was this the inlet port or the outlet port on the Rack?
850Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19th, 2017, 20:42   #29
850Nut

Default Noisy Power S/Pump

Quote:
Originally Posted by powernut View Post
if its any help ive a mint s/pump of a 850 t5 if there the same 20.00?nice and dry no leaks wines etc?as i know mine didnt make grony noises/mind did a p/steering pump on a vauxhall and it was a one way valve in the neck of the rack which was blocked causeing fluid to build up and thof back into the pump houseing/
I think I have the same as PowerNut. After I had rebuilt Rack installed the Power S/Pump was noisy. I installed 3 pumps same noise like pump having to work real hard & by-pass oil through the pressure relief valve. Which port is the one way valve causing the problem located? the inlet or the outlet ?..
850Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24th, 2020, 11:19   #30
leylandvolvo

Default Noise from power steering

Hi every one thank you for all your input in this subject, could any of you answer a question for me please regarding this. We have a 2008 V70 is it possible for the same problem regarding the brass pipe on this model, from my research the oil reservoir is different from early models as previously said ? I can't find the pipe. Any ideas ?
leylandvolvo is offline   Reply With Quote