Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

how much per tank?

Views : 1102

Replies : 11

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 15th, 2013, 20:44   #1
spunkydunky

Default how much per tank?

right im driving from Aberdeen to brands hatch on sat and im wondering roughly how much miles per tank most people get on the motorway?
ive got a s60 2.0l t auto and was hoping to get about 37mpg?
or am i being a bit optimistic???? ha ha
spunkydunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2013, 21:24   #2
Bill_56
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spunkydunky View Post
right im driving from Aberdeen to brands hatch on sat and im wondering roughly how much miles per tank most people get on the motorway?
A trifle optimistic, I'd say.

I regulary drive an 800 round mile motorway trip in my S60 2.0t these days and get about 34 to 36 on these trips, but mine's a manual. Usually drive on cruise at an indicated 75mph or so. It does about 1mpg better if you disengage cruise and allow your speed to drift with the road gradients, but I prefer to leave it on for peace of mind from speed traps.

Per tank... I never overfill (stop at first 'click'), and I refuel again as soon as I see the warning light. That usually turns out to be circa 450 miles a tank.
Bill_56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2013, 23:00   #3
slipkid
T5 GRRRR

I've got an 855 T5 and have driven from Canterbury to Ayr with me, the mrs and kids with the boot full to overflowing on one tank. The trip computer told me I had 75 miles left in the tank. That was doing an indicated 70/75 all the way.
slipkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2013, 00:32   #4
warninglight
VOC Member

280 miles is the most I've had from a tank in my T5, but then it only takes £45 to fill from empty.

Life's a gas, on LPG. (Provided you can find a local filling station!)

Past: 1997 S70 TDi, 1997 C70 T5 GT, 2003 V70 Bi-Fuel, 2000 Ph2 V70 2.5D, 1997 V70R Auto FWD, 1998 V70R Manual AWD, 2004 XC90 D5 G/T, 2005 S60 D5
warninglight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2013, 14:10   #5
Harvey1512
Premier Member

On the motorway, on my own I get 58mpg. With a full load I get 50-52mpg. The 1.6d engine seems quite sensitive to extra weight, not unsurprising when you consider the size of the engine. I have reached 600 miles before refuelling once but I usually top up at 1/4 full meaning around the 550m mark.
Old May 16th, 2013, 23:26   #6
spunkydunky

thanks guys,450 a tank would do me fine i guess.
i normally have the cruise on at 72mph.
just me and my camera bag so not to much weight.
although it weighs as much as a small child lol.
so im looking at 3 1/4 tanks of fuel there and back.
is that with the aircon on or off though???
spunkydunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2013, 08:20   #7
The Thong
VOC Member

Quote:
I can get 28mpg on Gas with my S60 2T. If expect a rough return of 32 on Petrol. My 60 is also Auto and I've found I get the best results with Cruise switched on. I must admit I very rarely go long distance on petrol unless I'm out of the Country so my Petrol Mpg is a guess based on LPG usage. Have a nice trip.

TT
Old May 17th, 2013, 09:50   #8
volvorocks
Rodney

Ive have just got 505 miles from a full tank, and that was 50/50 urban and motorway. It certainly was a full tank used because I forgot to fill up (don't ask!) and only noticed it yesterday. Went to fill up at Tesco with 10p a litre off, and fearing I would not actually get the 5 or so miles, put a fiver in at the garage round the corner. Filled up at Tesco - got in 71.07 litres, which considering I had put a fiver in just before which is about 3.5 litres, plus there must have been some fuel in for it to actually run, means I managed to get in at least 75 litres. Odd considering the tank is 70 litres.

Anyway it worked out at around 31mpg.

Regards
volvorocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2013, 10:14   #9
Harvey1512
Premier Member

Quote:
I never turn mine off. I prefer to keep it running so the system runs well. I had a bad experience once with a Vectra that needed re-gassing a number of times and decided to stop messing about. For the sake of 1-2mpg I would rather have it working.
Old May 17th, 2013, 11:59   #10
Bill_56
Premier Member

Quote:
thanks guys,450 a tank would do me fine i guess.
i normally have the cruise on at 72mph.
just me and my camera bag so not to much weight.
although it weighs as much as a small child lol.
so im looking at 3 1/4 tanks of fuel there and back.
I always leave aircon on, partly because switching off makes no significant difference, mainly because if I'm lucky enough to own a 'luxury/premium' car, I want to get the benefit of the luxury.

Anyway S60 2.0t, same as yours but manual, I drove 420 miles starting from a full tank yesterday and Computer says 115 miles remaining. Driving conditions were pretty perfect, no hold ups at all and except for a few miles of temporary speed limits on M74, pretty much constant 75mph on cruise. I'll probably update again after I've filled up, with an accurate MPG figure.

By the way, watch your speed on that trip down South... I have the impression the speed cops are very active on M74 at the moment. There are sure to be others I missed, but I saw at least three with hand-held guns trained on the traffic in various places in the past week. One, which had been parked on a bridge and steadying what looked like a speed gun on his roof, came tearing up behind a few minutes later and pulled over a Mondeo that had just overtaken me. Nervous moment, that was!
Bill_56 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bill_56 For This Useful Post: