Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

My S40 Badly Damaged!

Views : 19148

Replies : 179

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 7th, 2013, 17:46   #121
Keyser Soze
Numpty

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEZ-1 View Post
Oh! the thread that keeps on giving. lol!
in the words of a certain credit card ad, Priceless!

This mysterious Hells Angel motorcycle rider or figment of imagination is certainly is gonna cost a pretty penny when all is said & done

And like that.... he was gone!

Last edited by Keyser Soze; Feb 7th, 2013 at 17:48.
Keyser Soze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7th, 2013, 17:50   #122
XRAY-CHARLIE-TWO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeb246 View Post
Lower suspension arm fitted today, but the wheel is still not quite straight. From an angle you could tell the wheel has gone inwards. My mechanic suggested to get the car 4 wheel aligned. I've booked it in for a 4 wheel alignment tomorrow morning, I hope it's nothing serious.
Did you not already fork out for all that alignment before you replaced what was bent or did i read previous posts wrong
XRAY-CHARLIE-TWO is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to XRAY-CHARLIE-TWO For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 7th, 2013, 18:02   #123
JamesV70R
Forum Support Team

Nope XRC2 - he has paid for a 4WA already ... but because he did that before having the damage fixed he needs it doing again.

Zeb - hold off on having any more alignments done until everything is fixed. It'll save you a lot of money if you're paying £50 a pop.

James
JamesV70R is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JamesV70R For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 7th, 2013, 18:06   #124
XRAY-CHARLIE-TWO

Well in that case

I`ll go for

The man clearly has more money than talent and sense

But hey you can lead a horse to water but you can`t make it drink
XRAY-CHARLIE-TWO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7th, 2013, 18:55   #125
Ninja59
Probably Akita's Toyboy..

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRAY-CHARLIE-TWO View Post
Well in that case

I`ll go for

Then you wonder why "clear" tyres are fitted...
Ninja59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7th, 2013, 19:02   #126
Daim
Brit in Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRAY-CHARLIE-TWO View Post
Well in that case

I`ll go for

But then says he's unemployed.

Now, paying paying paying, but saying on the first page that he can't afford anything being without a job... Makes you wonder...

If I were to have problems: park my car at Volvo, they repair, align and check: done. One bill. Not hundred.

2010 V70 (Type 135) D5 (D5244T10) Automatic (TF-80SC)
Daim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7th, 2013, 19:07   #127
rapidvxr

Smile

out of interest what is the hourly labour charge in uk ? , those fancy buildings and 3 receptionists at york branch must cost a bit
rapidvxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7th, 2013, 20:10   #128
gmain1967
Premier Member

Quote:
Lower suspension arm fitted today, but the wheel is still not quite straight. From an angle you could tell the wheel has gone inwards. My mechanic suggested to get the car 4 wheel aligned. I've booked it in for a 4 wheel alignment tomorrow morning, I hope it's nothing serious.
Simple suggestion.... Go somewhere that can do both repairs and alignment. I have two mates who both have tyre/exhaust fitting businesses and both will do steering/suspension work/repairs (one even does servicing), as well as alignment. That way, if they miss something and do alignment check then still find it out, look at something else and replace it, you ain't getting stiffed for it twice. Think things through rather than rushing in
gmain1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gmain1967 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 7th, 2013, 20:57   #129
SonyVaio
VOC Member

Quote:
I've got a good idea for you Zeb.

Take the car back to the same garage that done your last 4 wheel alignment and get them to re-do it?? They should never have done the job in the first place so maybe they can the earn the money they have already had off you?

The next thing! Your so called mechanic can't be worth anything either, if your wheel is still bent and not quite straight then he should obviously be able to advise you on what the problem is? i.e it is either down to some parts still needing to be replaced (wheel hub/wheel bearing has been mentioned previosly) or it is due to alignment? Either way the answer should be definitive and conclusive as opposed to what it sounds like - a 'GUESS'!

You never did answer a question I asked previously, what exactly was the 'Temp Repair'??

Personally I think as well as the lower suspension arm you've now had fitted it sounds like you are in need of a new upper control arm too. I expect this is bent which is why the wheel still appears to have 'gone inwards'??

Your best course of action:
  • Take the car to a reputable garage who will look over it and confirm exactly what does or doesn't need doing to the car (did you get the wheels checked for buckling?).
  • Have ALL work required done on the car and all relevant parts replaced. You've still never mentioned anything to do with the front (this is just as important, even more so than the back) with yours being so far out as mentioned earlier you MUST have some damage there too?? You need to get this checked and parts replaced here also.
  • LAST THING! - Take the car for an all wheel alignment and have a complete alignment and geometry setup/check done the car. Visit AlignMyCar.co.uk and find a centre near you that has a 'Hunter' alignment machine. These are the best machines in the country to have your alignment and geometry setup done on. If there is more than one centre in your area then pick the one that does performance vehicles over say a crash repair centre.

Enjoy your car and get good rubber on at the earliest opportunity.

All the best,

Last edited by SonyVaio; Feb 7th, 2013 at 21:00.
SonyVaio is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SonyVaio For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 8th, 2013, 13:55   #130
kebab10
Premier Member

Good rubbers are essential all the time in my opinion!
kebab10 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kebab10 For This Useful Post: