Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Volvo On Call Service required

Views : 1011

Replies : 13

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 15th, 2023, 07:22   #1
volvocamper
Master Member

Default Volvo On Call Service required

Noticed above message at the weekend in orange in the Sensus icon on dash when ignition turned on but went out when engine started. 1st time car had been started in 3 weeks. Search on here suggested low battery so put on charge using under bonnet posts via my C Tek smart charger and left for 48 hours. On initially switching on charger the battery did seem low. Took charger off yesterday (battery fully charged now) but the massage still came up but again went out as engine started. Is low battery likely cause and will this warning disappear does anyone know pls now charged? Dealer suggested I need to drive it for some miles and if it was battery warning will disappear, I’m not so sure. Dealer is an hour away so keen to avoid that trip if possible.
volvocamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15th, 2023, 07:27   #2
AB-UK
Premier Member

I see the same message and operation on my Mk1.
My VOC is valid until next year.
My battery is "new", replaced only a few months ago.
AB-UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15th, 2023, 08:44   #3
volvocamper
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AB-UK View Post
I see the same message and operation on my Mk1.
My VOC is valid until next year.
My battery is "new", replaced only a few months ago.
I did notice last week my VoC App has ‘disappeared’ so re-downloaded it and all good and shows active until April 25 and Sundays journey shows in the journey log so def seems to be working.
Old Nov 22nd, 2023, 17:35   #4
volvocamper
Master Member

Just to close this in case anyone searches these symptoms in future - took car in to dealer today - small auxiliary battery in the boot had at some stage recently gone low on charge and apparently once they are low they will not come back to life despite smart charging.
Dealer fitted new aux battery and turned light off. Tech suggested smart trickle charging using under bonnet posts at least monthly if car not used (ie not charging this battery)
The lamp illuminated was in the pic.C5886E8E-EAFC-4CB6-86AD-6EB852F7149B.jpg
Old Apr 26th, 2024, 05:48   #5
Alben
Al

Default Volvo on call service required

Strangely had a similar problem after the Volvo App was no longer available. Dealer diagnosed centre speaker fault and quoted around £250 to replace. Would have expected just a soft ware update or whatever to sort out the problem but Volvo seemed not interested in coming up with any alternative suggestions so just keep hitting the cancel button on the steering wheel at each re start.
Alben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26th, 2024, 10:36   #6
nu11eaf
Premier Member

Volvo on call service required is nothing to do with the Volvo car app, it is the vehicle communication module which has a small rechargeable back up battery in it, (this is different to the Aux start stop battery) the VCM battery is more like a phone battery.

The VCM service required warning is "usually" this battery that requires changing, but I have just had the same issue and had the battery changed but it did not fix the problem, dealer contacted Volvo who informed them that a new software update has just been issued following an increase in cars having this same issue and when this was updated all was well again.

Ask your dealer to check for this update if you are having VCM service required message and update software before having the battery replaced as genuine Volvo batteries are very expensivensive. Even on ebay.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/285586734019

There is another thread on this on this forum, https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=330584
XC90 Inscription D5 Power pulse, 2017 MY, Savile grey, Blond Nappa, Leather dash/door tops, Walnut inlays, Dark tinted windows, Air suspension, Bliss/Cross traffic alert, Xenium/7 seat comfort/Family/Winter packs, 4 zone climate, Heated rear seats.

Last edited by nu11eaf; Apr 26th, 2024 at 10:39.
nu11eaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26th, 2024, 14:39   #7
WaylanderUK

The batteries in the VCM backup cell are not standard lithium Ion, they are made by Tadrian and are very unusual in the fact they are 8v not the 7.2v provided by standard lithium cells

The replacement battery is £113 and it is located in the VCM which is behind the right hand side rear trim about half way down the rear side window, it’s a bit of a mission to get to but diy replaceable
Part number for 2017 xc90 3145445
1986 Honda VF1000 F2
WaylanderUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27th, 2024, 18:30   #8
Alben
Al

Do you know when this service bulletin was released? Neither my Dealer or Volvo Service Assistance mentioned this software update or reason when the car was serviced 4 weeks ago despite a number of discussions on the problem which has been on going since the 2023 service when the problem first appeared. The Dealer indicated that any further diagnosis would involve a substantial charge for labour as they had no real idea what was causing the error message.
Alben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27th, 2024, 19:19   #9
nu11eaf
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alben View Post
Do you know when this service bulletin was released? Neither my Dealer or Volvo Service Assistance mentioned this software update or reason when the car was serviced 4 weeks ago despite a number of discussions on the problem which has been on going since the 2023 service when the problem first appeared. The Dealer indicated that any further diagnosis would involve a substantial charge for labour as they had no real idea what was causing the error message.
According to my dealer it has just been released in the last few weeks, my dealer contacted Volvo about my issue with VCM service required light still coming on after new back up battery being fitted and was told that it was a new software update for this problem.
XC90 Inscription D5 Power pulse, 2017 MY, Savile grey, Blond Nappa, Leather dash/door tops, Walnut inlays, Dark tinted windows, Air suspension, Bliss/Cross traffic alert, Xenium/7 seat comfort/Family/Winter packs, 4 zone climate, Heated rear seats.
nu11eaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28th, 2024, 18:20   #10
Philip Fisher
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nu11eaf View Post
According to my dealer it has just been released in the last few weeks, my dealer contacted Volvo about my issue with VCM service required light still coming on after new back up battery being fitted and was told that it was a new software update for this problem.
Wonder if yours actually needed the new battery at all....?
- MY17 V60 T4 Power Blue.
Previously:- 1997 V70 T5 exPolice; 2005 V50 2.0D; 2013 XC70 D5
Philip Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote