Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Restoration restoration restoration

Views : 7465

Replies : 69

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 21st, 2010, 01:03   #21
940_Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty244 View Post
All areas of rusted metal cut out:

That is looking nice. For future reference just because the repair panel is that big doesn't mean you have to use it all! It tends to distort less if you weld nearer the arch by cutting the panel down.
940_Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 940_Turbo For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 21st, 2010, 09:43   #22
rusty244

Quote:
Originally Posted by john h View Post
Well, either really. It certainly is possible to DIY, but on the other hand if you do the cleaning prep underneath the car properly, you'll get mucky and drenched to the skin, and applying the stuff is very messy as well. It's not the most pleasant job, and even less fun doing it in winter!

Send a PM to 'Steve and his 244'. He has half-finished an article about how to rust-proof a 240; sure he'd let you see what he's got even if it's not finished.

There are a few pics of me doing my Merc here - not exactly the same as your 240 obviously but the the basic principles apply to most cars really:http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showpo...4&postcount=22

Cheers

John
Cheers John.

Good job on the merc. I may have a go at this actually, keep me out of trouble over Christmas if I can make a bit of room in my dad's garage. Would be a nice transferable skill to have for future cars too.

I suspect I may give up part way through and resume over summer but I might surprise myself!!
rusty244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21st, 2010, 09:55   #23
rusty244

Quote:
Originally Posted by c_lee View Post
Hey Rusty that looks like a great job.

And good to see it done well.

Iv'e been following John's great 160 series restoration thread and had wished there was someone more local who ( I was confident ) would do a similar job for the odd thing I may need doing on one of my 240's.

They are less major than you had done I think - hole in small localised area of offside sill on the doorstep, possibility of hole developing before long in the area where the offside sill joins the rear wing ( door step area again ), and finally the end of the offside outrigger - probably best to replace whole outrigger as the parts are available.

Confidence in the repair is paramount for me.

When I had my 360GLT and it developed two medium sized holes in its offside sill a local garage on Twist Lane in Leigh quoted a total sill replacement for £100 ( that was many years ago ).

I was satisfied with that and booked the job only to find, on collection, they had patch welded the sill with the excuse that a new sill wasn't available.
And the patch welding wasn't that good either - it was obvious to see.
One customer lost to them - never been back since.

I needed the car for work and had to pay for the bodge up to get my car back.

I'm in Greater Manchester too and would be interested to know who did the work for you.

Colin
Thanks Colin.

PM sent.

Having had some pretty poor repairs to sills etc in past I was determined to get a good job done this time, particularly in such critical / visible areas of the car!

Was very impressed with the guys that did the work this time from start to finish - wouldn't hesitate to take anything from a minor repair to a full restoration to them.
The Following User Says Thank You to rusty244 For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 25th, 2010, 06:36   #24
Lesky

Superb! The restorers did a very nice job with the lines where the trim mounts just behind the door.
Old Dec 27th, 2010, 08:51   #25
john h
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty244 View Post
Cheers John.

Good job on the merc. I may have a go at this actually, keep me out of trouble over Christmas if I can make a bit of room in my dad's garage. Would be a nice transferable skill to have for future cars too.

I suspect I may give up part way through and resume over summer but I might surprise myself!!
I forgot to say, there are hand-pumped rust-proofing kits available, but in my experience they are very frustrating to use and you need access to a compressor and airline to do it properly.

John

john h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27th, 2010, 22:02   #26
rusty244

Quote:
I forgot to say, there are hand-pumped rust-proofing kits available, but in my experience they are very frustrating to use and you need access to a compressor and airline to do it properly.

John
Cheers John.

The more I think about it the more I think this is a job for summer when I can rent/beg some suitable space&equipment!

In the meantime I will try to go easy on the old thing and use sparingly in these salted conditions!
Old Jan 11th, 2011, 18:44   #27
rusty244

Quote:
Originally Posted by 940_Turbo View Post
That is looking nice. For future reference just because the repair panel is that big doesn't mean you have to use it all! It tends to distort less if you weld nearer the arch by cutting the panel down.
Thanks 940_Turbo.

Caught up with the folks that did the repair and this is their view on the size of panel used:

"Theres several reasons we do this (if the panel allows) one is because its what we call a natural edge, theres a step in the steel there that gives the panel strength so distortion is kept to a minimum, also if you stand beside a car and look at it, you look down, the volvo has a trim there that takes your eye from the repaired edge, any discrepancies are impossible to see, also from a distance your eye takes the same line in, and wont focus on the mm or 2 below it.
Cutting a curve in a flat panel and welding is almost impossible without distortion, the reason being that the movement in the steel isnt caused by heat/expansion, the warping is caused by cooling/contraction. Distortion in a straight cut/weld all pulls in a similar direction whereas a curve pulls in an arc and causes flex"
The Following User Says Thank You to rusty244 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 12th, 2011, 19:50   #28
john h
VOC Member

James,

When you can, get a photo of the rust inside the boot and I'll give you my two penneth about how best to repair it.

John

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to john h For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 12th, 2011, 21:14   #29
Paul240480
Ovlovnut

Quote:
James,

When you can, get a photo of the rust inside the boot and I'll give you my two penneth about how best to repair it.

John
Have just imprinted that in my little brain, for future 'tin worm photo's' of Tank lol
http://moncopainmonchien.jimdo.com/
Paul240480 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14th, 2011, 22:36   #30
john h
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul240480 View Post
Have just imprinted that in my little brain, for future 'tin worm photo's' of Tank lol
Of course, no problem!

John

The Following User Says Thank You to john h For This Useful Post: