Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Advice for a second hand purchase XC60

Views : 2699

Replies : 15

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 19th, 2016, 10:13   #11
wimorrison
Grumpy Old Sod

I have often wondered if petrol isn't popular because the public doesn't want to buy them or because the manufactures don't want to sell them, hence none being on sale in UK - I would have considered one for the mileage I was doing a few years ago but the choice was diesel, or diesel no petrol variants at all for the size I wanted.

Presently my mileage justifies diesel, but will it a few year? I doubt it and again I fear I will be limited to diesel if I want to maintain a similar for of transport.
Old Jan 19th, 2016, 13:36   #12
xsaab
Master Member

The CO2 output for a petrol engine would be a lot higher than with diesel for that size and weight of vehicle, and then the Road Fund licence would be a lot higher (could be almost double)
xsaab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19th, 2016, 13:42   #13
volvorocks
Rodney

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyMacDonald View Post
I take it they called it a D3 then?
Quote:
Originally Posted by wimorrison View Post
Have to say that I don't recall a petrol XC60 ever being available in the UK, it was sold in NL as I recall though.
Apart from the 3.0 T6, the one with the powershift was sold as the T5 and had the Ford engine. AFAIAA, it was only available for a short period in the UK around 2010/2011

Regards
volvorocks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to volvorocks For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 19th, 2016, 14:02   #14
Tombie

I'm looking at the market in Belgium, The Netherlands and Germany (Germany is a bit cheaper, though in those casees, I'm exporting a vehicle which brings other costs to the table as to driving them around in Belgium. which I also need to take into account

Powershift is offered as D3, D5 (D4 is so far as I have found always geartronic) + in all petrol versions, though only up to a cetrain modelyear (not sure, but it seems they switched from powershift to geartronic around '13 or '14 for the petrol engines).
Diesel versions are found from around '11-'12 with a geartronic, so I suppose they switched diesels a bit sooner to the new gearboxes.

It seems noone is a fan of petrols for the XC60 (I've posted similar questions in other counties forum's), which is rather strange as the 2.0 liter petrol's have a high performance output and seemed rather 'ok' to my humble opinion...with the exception of the fuel consumption.

In Belgium there's talk about having diesel taxes going through the roof in the next couple of years, which is why I'm in doubt...

I just realized I might be looking iat it the wrong way. I thought I could see powershift as always looking like:

Geartronic, to my opinion, always should look like:

Is my assumption correct? If not, how can I tell the difference between both gearboxes when checking ut a second hand automatic?

Thanks again for your feedback.

Grtz,

Last edited by Tombie; Jan 19th, 2016 at 14:18.
Tombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20th, 2016, 00:04   #15
RoyMacDonald
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombie View Post
I'm looking at the market in Belgium, The Netherlands and Germany (Germany is a bit cheaper, though in those casees, I'm exporting a vehicle which brings other costs to the table as to driving them around in Belgium. which I also need to take into account

Powershift is offered as D3, D5 (D4 is so far as I have found always geartronic) + in all petrol versions, though only up to a cetrain modelyear (not sure, but it seems they switched from powershift to geartronic around '13 or '14 for the petrol engines).
Diesel versions are found from around '11-'12 with a geartronic, so I suppose they switched diesels a bit sooner to the new gearboxes.

It seems noone is a fan of petrols for the XC60 (I've posted similar questions in other counties forum's), which is rather strange as the 2.0 liter petrol's have a high performance output and seemed rather 'ok' to my humble opinion...with the exception of the fuel consumption.

In Belgium there's talk about having diesel taxes going through the roof in the next couple of years, which is why I'm in doubt...

I just realized I might be looking iat it the wrong way. I thought I could see powershift as always looking like:

Geartronic, to my opinion, always should look like:

Is my assumption correct? If not, how can I tell the difference between both gearboxes when checking ut a second hand automatic?

Thanks again for your feedback.

Grtz,
I'm not sure about the mainland but I've seen both types of gear selector advertised as Geartronic. Don't know if the adverts were correct though.

I can tell you for definite that my wife has a Volvo Powershift V40 D2 and it has the same selector as my Geartronic. Looks like your bottom photo.
Old Mar 14th, 2016, 12:43   #16
zork

I am also looking after a seccond hand XC60 with petrol engine, because I am begining to get tired of diesel problems...So I found a T5 (2.0) FWD with a POWERSHIFT box...

But it seems that it's not easy to find some opinions about this engine and gearbox...

So:any info about reliability about this combo (T5 2.0 petrol + POWERSHIFT gearbox)?
zork is offline   Reply With Quote