Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Spare Tyre Poll

Views : 55027

Replies : 220

Users Viewing This Thread :  

View Poll Results: What should volvo's policy be for spare tyres in new cars?
cars should sacrifice enough cargo space and a full size spare should be supplied 299 38.78%
cars should sacrifice enough cargo space and a space save spare should be supplied 445 57.72%
tyre sealant and breakdown cover are sufficient - space should be maximised for cargo 44 5.71%
attach spare to the outside of the car (requiring design change and possible other issues) 8 1.04%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 771. You may not vote on this poll

Old Sep 29th, 2012, 15:48   #111
jimbg
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bomber209 View Post
Hi : I bought a Pugeot 206 some years ago for she who must be obeyed, I asked the salesman to supply a proper spare wheel not a space saver. He supplied one alright but no bloody tyre on it though.
Very good
jimbg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7th, 2012, 14:53   #112
Winchy

Red face Space Saver Please

Having just had a complete blow out and the whole inside sidewall collapse I'd go for a space saver any day over the foam. Luckily have Volvo Assist so they took me home. I was offered a road side replacement had they been able to get one (18" tyres not readily at hand) but it would only have been a budget one and I had to pay for it. Recovered home free and changed tyre next day. Opted for Goodyear F1 Assymetric 2 for £150 all in. Conti's were v v v expensive. Is the space saver for S60 a particular size or would the one from my wifes C30 fit? She has 17" wheel tyres on the C30 but I noticed that the space saver is a much smaller wheel but higher profile tyre.
Winchy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Winchy For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 15th, 2012, 17:24   #113
wimorrison
Grumpy Old Sod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winchy View Post
Having just had a complete blow out and the whole inside sidewall collapse I'd go for a space saver any day over the foam. Luckily have Volvo Assist so they took me home. I was offered a road side replacement had they been able to get one (18" tyres not readily at hand) but it would only have been a budget one and I had to pay for it. Recovered home free and changed tyre next day. Opted for Goodyear F1 Assymetric 2 for £150 all in. Conti's were v v v expensive. Is the space saver for S60 a particular size or would the one from my wifes C30 fit? She has 17" wheel tyres on the C30 but I noticed that the space saver is a much smaller wheel but higher profile tyre.
get a tape measure and measure the circumference of the tyre on the s60, do the same with thye space saver in the C30 and see how close they are. If they are within a few percent then you will be ok.

You can also check the PCD of the wheelnuts at the same time by comparing the wheels - or take the wheel off the s60 and try the c30 space saver - that will prove that the PCD is the same (or not)
Old Nov 19th, 2012, 09:05   #114
iancho
one of many

I removed the space saver from mine and put an 18" in it's place. If i am going on a long trip i don't want to be messing around driving on a space saver and then having the trouble of getting another new tyre fitted.

just peace of mind really.
Old Dec 24th, 2012, 10:30   #115
80sman

Personally I don't see the point in carrying around a spare 18" alloy, it's a huge wheel to lug about for the life of the vehicle.

I've got a tempa space saver in mine, which if push comes to shove I could change. However if my wife was alone in the car out driving and she got a flat, I've told her to call for recovery.

She doesn't know where on the vehicle to jack and I would seriously doubt she'd get the wheel nuts undone.

As long as I'm paying for recovery cover I'd even use recovery over a tin of goop. Touch wood it's been a good 10 years since I've had a blow out, mostly just had nails through the tyre etc.
80sman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23rd, 2013, 18:44   #116
MEandmyKATthedog

My car, XC60, came without a spare wheel just the tyre sealant. I have finally decided to buy a Tempa wheel before my luck runs out and I get the puncture I've been dreading. Any help re sourcing a wheel and tyre would be appreciated, or should I bite the bullet and go see my friendly Volvo main dealer. Thanks
MEandmyKATthedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1st, 2013, 19:22   #117
pagan8c
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEandmyKATthedog View Post
My car, XC60, came without a spare wheel just the tyre sealant. I have finally decided to buy a Tempa wheel before my luck runs out and I get the puncture I've been dreading. Any help re sourcing a wheel and tyre would be appreciated, or should I bite the bullet and go see my friendly Volvo main dealer. Thanks
I just priced one up for my V70 I get next week and it was £306 pounds with the jack etc you have to have.Spoke to FRF and they will do the full kit for £268 delivered.I am going to see if I can find 1 on e bay or amazon etc
pagan8c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2nd, 2013, 17:21   #118
JimmyTheLips

I picked up a space saver from Bell Volvo Northampton yesterday for 250 quid, seemed the most reasonable in short time researching.

I do have a question about it though, when it isnin the boot it was a real faff trying to find the hole to screw it down to. I was hoping the little centre bar would fit perfectly in the centre of the wheel but it doesnt. Its just a bit too big. Anybody else noticed that?
Old Feb 2nd, 2013, 20:01   #119
wimorrison
Grumpy Old Sod

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyTheLips View Post
I picked up a space saver from Bell Volvo Northampton yesterday for 250 quid, seemed the most reasonable in short time researching.

I do have a question about it though, when it isnin the boot it was a real faff trying to find the hole to screw it down to. I was hoping the little centre bar would fit perfectly in the centre of the wheel but it doesnt. Its just a bit too big. Anybody else noticed that?
Might sound silly but have you tried turning the wheel upside down? The outside of the tyre needs to be facing downward.
Old Feb 3rd, 2013, 17:47   #120
JimmyTheLips

Yeah, its in and locked down the foam kit at the top. I will take some pictures and show you what I mean tomorrow