Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Windscreen: Water ingress on 60 models 2008 on

Views : 410841

Replies : 113

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 4th, 2016, 17:33   #31
bullstiff

No oven involvement with mine, Volvo ok'd autoglass,
I suspect the adhesive that autoglass use is probably on top of the job they use it day in day out on many other makes.
bullstiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10th, 2016, 07:17   #32
Thrustyjust

Well mentioned solicitors when on the phone to my dealer and the phone was put down on me. My solicitor advised me that Volvo are falsely claiming on a windscreen break so frauding with my insurance. I am having my windscreen independently removed tomorrow and I will get some photos of the missing primer on the windscreen surround , so my solicitor can see where this can be legally dealt with. Shame Volvo don't see how incorrect with this issue.
Thrustyjust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6th, 2016, 18:27   #33
Scootersp

Ok my experience.

Bought (privately) a used 2009 xc60 a couple of weeks ago, the first weekend was the recent storm Katie and I had water in the centre light and drivers footwell. Stripped the a pillars, door seals/trim etc to allow room to remove the front carpet to dry them elsewhere as the under carpet foam absorbs a lot and would i imagine take ages otherwise.

As I'm the curious type, I then loosened the sun visors slightly do that lying back on the passenger dash I could lever it down a bit to see the inside body to screen seal interface. When it rained in my case it would seep through and generally run down the pass side a pillar, when the above happened I was parked at an angle passenger side high so the water ran towards the drivers side before going forward and down.

Silicon is definitely not worth it, the reseal cost me about the same as a new tyre would from a rogue screw, so whilst I absolutely agree that it shouldn't happen and can imagine if you've had it from new and paid more than a pretty penny your pretty annoyed with Volvo, I'd advise just getting it reseated if you notice any dampness whatsoever. I also don't buy it that the glass provides a massive safety/strength increase, glass is not really known for it strength/toughness/energy absorption is it?
Scootersp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8th, 2016, 17:43   #34
GJB
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrustyjust View Post
Well mentioned solicitors when on the phone to my dealer and the phone was put down on me. My solicitor advised me that Volvo are falsely claiming on a windscreen break so frauding with my insurance. I am having my windscreen independently removed tomorrow and I will get some photos of the missing primer on the windscreen surround , so my solicitor can see where this can be legally dealt with. Shame Volvo don't see how incorrect with this issue.
Interested to know how you got on.
MY10 XC90 D5 R design Red MY04 XC90 D5 SE RED
95 940 2 ltr D Silver Auto /84 740 2ltr D Red
GJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14th, 2016, 19:35   #35
Thrustyjust

Well, its taken this long to get a windscreen from a company beginning with a V . The glass guy rejected one, as the quality and optics he said were poor. Something he has learnt that certain companies quality control is lacking. The reason I needed a new screen anyway was a pothole jolted and caused the screen to crack in the area that was unsupported.

The screen shows absolutely no adhesive bond onto the windscreen at all. The adhesive was all attached to the car , but due to poor prep ( his words) the windscreen was completely free from the car. A disaster waiting to happen should the air bags go off in an accident. Volvo ' safe cars ' I don't think so !

This is a close up of the passenger side and the visual of his cheese wire on the left to remove the screen , but the diagonal has nothing there.

Volvo have everything to answer with this shocking quality and safety issue and yet they don't want to know. I actually sold one of my cars last week and we do like the look of the V40. No chance !! My money went somewhere else. Don't like to think of any other issues and customer services showing no interest in helping a genuine customer. Strangely from another google and Honest John seems to show people with the same issues with screens and customer services. Sadly Volvo fall well short on trying to sell prestige vehicles , mainly from their lack of support.
Thrustyjust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2016, 10:20   #36
Will Coops

Same problem. Summer 2015. Water came in and soaked roof lining. Dealer refitted windscreen and covered most of cost. XC60 2011 33k miles
Will Coops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25th, 2016, 20:07   #37
Voltan

Sod's Law! I only noticed this thread this morning and…

Last week, I collected my car from the dealer after servicing and noticed a single bead of water, internal, at the top of the windscreen on the driver's side. As the head lining was not wet, I presumed it had come from a wet cloth or whatever during the after-service valeting. I hadn't noticed any more evidence of water since but today I noticed a small stream of water running down inside the windscreen when I pulled up at home after being out, despite it not raining since the previous night. Presumably this water has been trapped somewhere and percolated through after a period of time. A bit puzzling though!

The water I noticed at the garage must have been from them washing the car. I have never seen water on the screen like this before, whenever I have washed the car even with a power hose or when driving out in the rain.

I shall visit the dealer on Monday to discuss and hopefully resolve the problem under warranty, before any water damage ensues,.
Old Jun 26th, 2016, 10:57   #38
Voltan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltan View Post
Sod's Law! I only noticed this thread this morning and…

Last week, I collected my car from the dealer after servicing and noticed a single bead of water, internal, at the top of the windscreen on the driver's side. As the head lining was not wet, I presumed it had come from a wet cloth or whatever during the after-service valeting. I hadn't noticed any more evidence of water since but today I noticed a small stream of water running down inside the windscreen when I pulled up at home after being out, despite it not raining since the previous night. Presumably this water has been trapped somewhere and percolated through after a period of time. A bit puzzling though!

The water I noticed at the garage must have been from them washing the car. I have never seen water on the screen like this before, whenever I have washed the car even with a power hose or when driving out in the rain.

I shall visit the dealer on Monday to discuss and hopefully resolve the problem under warranty, before any water damage ensues,.
Just to say that I now remember there was a brief shower a couple of hours before the ingress of water appeared. Where could the small amount of water have accumulated before passing through?
Old Jun 26th, 2016, 21:32   #39
wilbydoughboy

Check underneath the footwell carpets, if you notice any dampness lift the fitted carpets and you may find them saturated.
Old Jul 11th, 2016, 11:28   #40
Cardinal Biggles

Default Bloody 'ell

Leaky windscreens stopped happening in the 1970s, and a bonded screen should be best of all fittings.

Is this still a problem on the post-2012 models? I'm thinking of buying a new XC60, but this sort of stuff is fraught with hasslle.

Taking ownership of car glass issues, even on straight repairs, can be like playing pass the parcel in a Belfast pub.

So would the leaky screen status today put you off a new VOLVO?
Cardinal Biggles is offline   Reply With Quote