Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Engine Swap Coolant leak

Views : 1091

Replies : 10

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 21st, 2018, 07:55   #1
Dave18050
DAVE18050

Default Engine Swap Coolant leak

Hi,

Still new to this, so not sure if I have posted this correctly or in the right place, but I need some help.

To cut a long story short, the Auxiliary Belt failed on my 2004 V70 D5, due to Power Steering Pump issue, which caused CAM Belt to slip and thus the Engine to be severely damaged. I live in the South of France and the repair costs were astronomic, so just bought a LHD XC90.

However, my old V70 has been faithful and decided, as a project, to have a go at swapping the engine myself! Did loads of research, on this forum and other sites, not to mention the trusty Haynes Manual.

Now, after a few weeks work everything is back together and was refilling the coolant when a noticed a big leak from the back of the engine. I have narrowed it down to the alloy pipe that runs across the back of the engine into the back of the water pump and I believe this connection is where the leak is coming from. Thinking back now I do remember when I swapped the pipe to the new engine that it did not feel very secure. I believe the O ring is not doing its job, probably because I was not sure exactly where it went. In front of the pipe? around the pipe?

Either way it will need to be sorted out. I cannot find any advice/help on this site or on any other, nor can I find a site to buy a new O Ring. Any help is welcomed. My questions are:

1. Where exactly does the O Ring Fit?
2. Where can I buy one?
3. Do I need to remove the pipe, which will mean at least the Turbo and Manifold being removed (again!) or does it need to be done from inside the Water pump, which will mean the CAM Belt being removed, a smaller job but not somthing I want to do untill I know the second hand engine I baught is not a dud?

Sorry for the war and peace storey.

2004 XC90 D5 LHD
2004 V70 D5
2003 C70 2.0 T

Last edited by Dave18050; Feb 21st, 2018 at 09:11.
Dave18050 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dave18050 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 5th, 2018, 23:29   #2
jim jordan

just done this on my d5,manifold off/turbo,turbo oil feed pipe then you can get at it one small 10mm holding that water pipe half way along back of engine and two 10mm bolts holding top of pipe to head,various pipes to undo then pull pipe out of rear of water pump,o-ring goes onto pipe in the grove easy to see when off,got mine from volvo the o-ring plus the little gasket that goes on connector to head from pipe,have fun i did'nt lol
jim jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jim jordan For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 26th, 2018, 16:53   #3
Dave18050
DAVE18050

Smile Thank you for the advice

Jim, thank you for your time. I thought I would need to go in from the back of the engine thus turbo and manifold off. I clearly did not look close enough at the pipe when I swapped it from the original engine, as I can’t remember seeing a groove. I also can’t remember a gasket on the small pipe to the engine block. Oh well better started.

On the plus side I started my V70 for the first time for over a year and it’s a runner. Very pleased with myself for changing the engine. Just need to get the leak sorted now.

Thanks again for your help. I will let you know how I get on.

2004 XC90 D5 LHD
2004 V70 D5
2003 C70 2.0 T
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dave18050 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 3rd, 2018, 14:20   #4
Dave18050
DAVE18050

Question Half way there.

I have spent a few hours, following the advice given by Jim, first removing the Turbo and Manifold which gave me access to the coolant pipe at the back of the engine. I did not have any real issues.

1. Drained Coolant.
2. Removed Turbo. I left the Turbo sitting resting to the rear of the engine resting on the RH Drive Shaft, which saved me having to remove the drive shaft.
3. Removed EGR pipe from Manifold. EGR pipe was a bit of a pain to get off the manifold as I did not want to damage the clamp. Got there in the end.
4. Removed Manifold. The manifold came off easy enough but found that I had to remove the first stud closest the water pump to allow me to slide the coolant pipe away from the rear of the water pump.
4. Removed Coolant Pipe. Needed a good pull and a bit of wiggling but it came out eventually.

Guess What? As I suspected there was no O Ring on it, which is clearly the reason for it leaking!!!

Ordered the new Gasket and O-ring from Germany, I could not find a site in UK. I live in France, which just don't do Volvo parts online.

One question. When I fit the new O-Ring should I add a bit of grease or gasket sealant to help the pipe slide into place? I don't want to damage the O-ring and clearly want a good seal.

2004 XC90 D5 LHD
2004 V70 D5
2003 C70 2.0 T
Old Apr 3rd, 2018, 20:57   #5
jim jordan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave18050 View Post
I have spent a few hours, following the advice given by Jim, first removing the Turbo and Manifold which gave me access to the coolant pipe at the back of the engine. I did not have any real issues.

1. Drained Coolant.
2. Removed Turbo. I left the Turbo sitting resting to the rear of the engine resting on the RH Drive Shaft, which saved me having to remove the drive shaft.
3. Removed EGR pipe from Manifold. EGR pipe was a bit of a pain to get off the manifold as I did not want to damage the clamp. Got there in the end.
4. Removed Manifold. The manifold came off easy enough but found that I had to remove the first stud closest the water pump to allow me to slide the coolant pipe away from the rear of the water pump.
4. Removed Coolant Pipe. Needed a good pull and a bit of wiggling but it came out eventually.

Guess What? As I suspected there was no O Ring on it, which is clearly the reason for it leaking!!!

Ordered the new Gasket and O-ring from Germany, I could not find a site in UK. I live in France, which just don't do Volvo parts online.

One question. When I fit the new O-Ring should I add a bit of grease or gasket sealant to help the pipe slide into place? I don't want to damage the O-ring and clearly want a good seal.
i just put a bit of grease just a smear and trust me it slides it easy alot easy'er then it came out makes you think did that go in lol,bit of a fiddly job tho aint it
Old Apr 5th, 2018, 14:06   #6
Dave18050
DAVE18050

Thanks again for your helpand yes it is a bit fiddly!!! However, I have spent since the beginning of Jan swapping the engine, just a few hours at a time, so I know my way around the under side of the car very well. My New O-ring and Gasket have now arrived so I am going to have a play this weekend. Fingers crossed.

2004 XC90 D5 LHD
2004 V70 D5
2003 C70 2.0 T
Old Apr 6th, 2018, 17:18   #7
Dave18050
DAVE18050

Unhappy Back to Square one

Well, I fitted the new O ring, replaced the pipe and put the coolant system back together by reconnecting all hoses etc...

Thankfully I left the Turbo and Manifold off because when I filled the cooling system with water to test for leaks, yep, same leak, same place. Grrr

Spent another hour removing the pipe again and found that the New O Ring had split. Not sure how this happened, was I to aggressive with the pipe? was it a dud O ring? not sure.

Fortunately I bought 2 from SKANDIX, because of the high postage costs, I thought I might as well as the postage was more than the product.

Anyway, 2 hours wasted, back to square one, try again over the weekend.

2004 XC90 D5 LHD
2004 V70 D5
2003 C70 2.0 T
Old Apr 6th, 2018, 18:17   #8
jim jordan

did you smear abit of grease around the o-ring and no harm in dabbing abit around in the hole pipe slots into,strange it split mine went in easy but i bought a genuine one from volvo was cheap enough think it was £1-75 fingers crossed it goes ok next time
The Following User Says Thank You to jim jordan For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 8th, 2018, 11:29   #9
Dave18050
DAVE18050

Smile Success

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim jordan View Post
i just put a bit of grease just a smear and trust me it slides it easy alot easy'er then it came out makes you think did that go in lol,bit of a fiddly job tho aint it
I found out that I was pushing the pipe in too far which is clearly how i broke 2 o-rings. I had another attempt yesterday afternoon and lone behold no more leaks!!! just got to put everything back together now.

2004 XC90 D5 LHD
2004 V70 D5
2003 C70 2.0 T
Old Apr 8th, 2018, 11:32   #10
Dave18050
DAVE18050

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim jordan View Post
did you smear abit of grease around the o-ring and no harm in dabbing abit around in the hole pipe slots into,strange it split mine went in easy but i bought a genuine one from volvo was cheap enough think it was £1-75 fingers crossed it goes ok next time
Getting Volvo parts in France is not easy, not all of the dealers do not have a parts department. cracked it now though, no more leaks.

2004 XC90 D5 LHD
2004 V70 D5
2003 C70 2.0 T