Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Volvo XC90 163 D5 Smoke on Startup

Views : 5718

Replies : 24

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 20th, 2014, 15:11   #21

Mine has just returned from the rather excellent Clive Brooks.
The DPF has been bored out and this could be the cause of it smoking, at a cost of £800 i declined the replacement as it may not be the definite cause of the problem and tbh i can live with it as long as it passes the Emissions test. It had just recently passed the test and i wondered if anyone else with similar empty DPF`s that had any problems come test time. ( I do not know for certain if mine passed the test or they got round it if you know what i mean!).
Volvo cleared the faults on the last visit and it has not thrown up any since, they cannot see anything wrong with the engine although a few repairs that have been do look a bit iffy and it sounds a bit throaty (could that be because it has or hasn`t been re mapped after the removal of the DPF inners? )
At least this has not left me out of pocket,
Thanks to Craig at Clive Brooks
47423 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2014, 16:40   #22
5cilinder
Premier Member

What kind of rocketsurgians are that? Demolishing a DPF without the proper software modification to supress faults and underpowered running?

Besides arent they checking nowadays with the MOT that there is indeed a working DPF ?
5cilinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2014, 18:33   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5cilinder View Post
What kind of rocketsurgians are that? Demolishing a DPF without the proper software modification to supress faults and underpowered running?

Besides arent they checking nowadays with the MOT that there is indeed a working DPF ?
No idea as to its previous, it did concern me why they would need to do it on a car that appears to be doing a good mileage.
The MOT only checks its present, which externally it is, an emissions test is all it has to pass (which it appears it did).
Thats not to say they wont tighten the test up in future though.
He did comment it runs well which i can assure you it goes very well indeed.
47423 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8th, 2014, 19:58   #24
sarkie83

Just to update the thread, the XC90 eventually went in to get the leaking injector replaced. No difference. I was then told it was a faulty EGR valve, which they replaced. No difference. So they put it back as it was, and it's still sitting on the drive not being used and smoke seems to be worse than ever. I'm starting to think head gasket might be the issue, but I will prob just sell for spares.
sarkie83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9th, 2014, 08:05   #25
skyship007
Premier Member

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyship007 View Post
The old pre ECU/common rails diesels did smoke a bit on start, but the modern ones don't!

@OP:
When were the air intake and EGR last cleaned ??
Have you checked the crank case vent system is not blocked ??

How much oil is this car burning?
Any coolant loss?
When were the oil & filter last changed and what did you use ??
Have you checked the oil level and done a finger rub inspection ??
The engine is also rough running at cold idle, so this does not look good. Wild guess, but HG failure, bad rings, blown turbo or wrong oil in use.

Seriously thin oil caused by gummed up injectors (It won't show a code) and too many short trips or time at idle and a poor quality 0 or 5/30 is in third place, along with a half blown turbo oil seal.
The key question would be, is the coolant level going down or the oil level going up and does it smoke when started ??

If you want to know about the HG, one easy way is to send a 200 ml sample of used oil (Must be at least 3K miles old) to Blackstone Lab Inc. Their analyst will let you know if the HG or an injector is leaking. Volvo anti freeze contains both Sodium and Potassium compounds which are rare in engine oil (Castrol GTX and Valvoline Maxlife do contain Sodium), so they should both show below 10 ppm after 10K miles.
If the injection system has a fault, then the flashpoint of the oil will drop and a direct test for fuel will result in a warning.
Bad rings dump Chromium into the engine oil, but there is no easy way of checking an EGR from a UOA report. A blocked EGR or CAT can cause a check engine light.
A blown turbo will show up as a high Copper reading, as the steel bearings in a turbo are the only ones in a diesel that contain Copper.

Everyone should DYOR (Do Your Own Research)

Last edited by skyship007; Sep 9th, 2014 at 08:19.
skyship007 is offline   Reply With Quote