Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Performance Volvo Cars

Notices

Performance Volvo Cars A forum for those interested in any Volvo performance car from any era, FWD, RWD and AWD!

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Volvo Community Gran Turismo 4 Challenge.

Views : 14616

Replies : 256

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 27th, 2006, 22:21   #21
5lab

the manual gearbox can gain time if you know how to change gear in a particular car - however the auto always knows how to change 'pretty well'

i actually found (on gt3 when i got the wheel) i was a bit slower with the wheel - maybe 2-3% lapttimes. i guess this maybe true on gt4 as well, but its a lot more fun if you're used to it. the forcefeedback is very true to life, with the tugging on the wheel when you're in a slide.. i recon a large drift in a rwd car is much more controllable with a wheel, but then thats never the quickest way round a course

for a laugh, try getting a highly tuned up clio v6, stick front downforce to 25, rear to 5, turn off all driving aids and try to learn to take it round a course. takes some doing
Old Jan 27th, 2006, 22:26   #22
blues60
My car is blue

How do you position the wheel 5lab? I tried using it on my lap and it just slides everywhere so I tried fixing it to a small table but it was totally the wrong position for driving so I just went back to the joypad.
blues60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28th, 2006, 13:26   #23
5lab

mines clamped to a table in front of me. its a long way from ideal, but the lap-based method wasnt nearly stable enough.
Old Feb 2nd, 2006, 23:31   #24
blues60
My car is blue

Exclamation Round 1 Results

Sorry all, I never updated the thread last night as I worked a 27 hour shift and couldn't get at a computer.
It appears that Ross posted the best time so gets to choose the next track and car. As we only seem to have a few competitors then you may as well have until Friday 2359 to decide unless anyone has any objections.

Ross9: 1'15.789 (10 pts)
blues60: 1'16.001 (8 pts)
Timway: 1'17.023 (6pts)
5lab: 1'20.215 (NO PIC!!!) (5pts with pic!)

Once track and car are chosen the rules at the top of the thread apply. This week it runs from 2359 Friday until 2359 Weds.
Hopefully a few more peeps will join in this week.
Old Feb 3rd, 2006, 14:47   #25
Pedro Fandango
I've Been Banned

just hope he picks a better car & track this time, i couldn't get anywhere near your times

Last edited by Pedro Fandango; Feb 3rd, 2006 at 16:07.
Pedro Fandango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3rd, 2006, 15:28   #26
Ross9
Master Member

lol, I'll have a wee look and try some car's out later on to see what to go with, shouldnt be too late posting it up as I'm on a 3am start tomorrow so will be tucked up nice and early lol, be warned I am a fan of the Nurburgring and if I end up going for that there will be some hair tearing for both you lot and myself, basically everyone bar who is winning at that point, nothign worse than getting right round the ring and losing it on the last corner, but I might go for something else.

Ross
Old Feb 3rd, 2006, 16:10   #27
Pedro Fandango
I've Been Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross9
lol, I'll have a wee look and try some car's out later on to see what to go with, shouldnt be too late posting it up as I'm on a 3am start tomorrow so will be tucked up nice and early lol, be warned I am a fan of the Nurburgring and if I end up going for that there will be some hair tearing for both you lot and myself, basically everyone bar who is winning at that point, nothign worse than getting right round the ring and losing it on the last corner, but I might go for something else.
oh i remember the good old days Ross, us fighting it out in the S60 around the ring getting 0.1 of a second off each others lap times everyday.

we had some good times (literally lol)
Pedro Fandango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3rd, 2006, 20:11   #28
Ross9
Master Member

Ok guys, I resisted the temptation to pick a proper race car and stick it on the ring, something I've done a lot, I was also tempted by a rally stage however I shall leave both of those for another time should I win again.

So, here it is, bit of a tricky one, a tight narrow track with the opportunity for high speeds in places, and a car that to be honest is pretty unsuitable lol.

Holden Monaro CV8
Quick tune used to maximise power and minimise weight as before
Softest available sports tyres as before
No driver aids

Track is the Citta di Aria, NORMAL direction.

Only had a couple of shots to see if it would be a good choice, will start with the pictures once I have got some better laps in.

1:48.564 (good bit of improvement possible on this)

Now remember, no riding the walls or bouncing off them etc, we're all grown up enough not to cheat I hope lol, if you do a lap time that involved a hitting the walls etc then please don't count it, it is most likely that the fastest way round is to avoid all the walls anyway.

So to sum up, Holden Monaro CV8, same settings as before as regards the quick tune, and the Citta di Aria track in normal direction.

Ross
Old Feb 4th, 2006, 11:53   #29
blues60
My car is blue

Nice choice Ross. The Monaro should be a proper handful with the power wound up and the car fully lightened! I shall have a go when I get in from work this evening as the wife is out for the night!!!!!!
Old Feb 4th, 2006, 20:33   #30
Ross9
Master Member

Yeah it can be a bit slidy but it's not that bad, tyres obviously helping, wont grip in 1st etc.

My time is at 1:42.129 at the moment but I reckon it should be possible to get into the high 1:30's, you keep thinking that theres a lot of places to tidy it up but the fact is the car does pitch and slide a fair bit and thats just the way it does it, more a case of just keeping the speed up and controling the slipping and sliding than trying for perfect lines etc, remember, if you slam a wall don't count the time lol.

Ross