Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Volvo XC90 163 D5 Smoke on Startup

Views : 5717

Replies : 24

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 19th, 2014, 13:07   #11
5cilinder
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadeyman View Post
I think you should check your "illegal" version of VIDA because they will check fuel correction and combustion perfectly.
Well it was not "my" "illegal" version it was from an independend garage
Everything else worked like it should so i dont know what was the cause

Maybe its a combination of illegal version with the engine type mine was a different type of D5
I was just mention it because maybe it wont work as well with the version of the topicstarter who knows? or maybe it will work if he visits you
5cilinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2014, 13:10   #12
Shadeyman
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5cilinder View Post
Well it was not "my" "illegal" version it was from an independend garage
Everything else worked like it should so i dont know what was the cause

Maybe its a combination of illegal version with the engine type mine was a different type of D5
I was just mention it because maybe it wont work as well with the version of the topicstarter who knows? or maybe it will work if he visits you
"You have a "different type of D5"? Is there a different type of D5 ?

I thought there were 2 or 3 updates to it but not "different types" ..

Last edited by Shadeyman; May 19th, 2014 at 13:12.
Shadeyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2014, 14:06   #13
5cilinder
Premier Member

Ah wordgames ;-)
I have the 185 hp euro4 version wich is hardwarewise (different cillinderhead/turbo) and softwarewise different than the euro3 d5
Even the newest "d5" is a 4 cillinder nowadays

Im just telling that mine couldnt be readout fuelcorrections on a illegal copy
Maybe different software/engines or vidaversions has something to do with it
Old May 19th, 2014, 15:43   #14
Shadeyman
VOC Member

Quote:
Ah wordgames ;-)
I have the 185 hp euro4 version wich is hardwarewise (different cillinderhead/turbo) and softwarewise different than the euro3 d5
Even the newest "d5" is a 4 cillinder nowadays

Im just telling that mine couldnt be readout fuelcorrections on a illegal copy
Maybe different software/engines or vidaversions has something to do with it
I'm pretty sure all D5 engines are 5 cylinder regardless of what ancillaries are bolted to it. 2 or 3 updates included things like a better turbo, improved EGR system, electric vacuum pump instead of mechanical etc. but they are all the same 5 cylinder lump.
The newest Volvo diesels are 4 cylinder but they're called "Drive-e"(http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/volvo/8...d-across-range), D4 and T5 not D5.

Last edited by Shadeyman; May 19th, 2014 at 15:46.
Old May 19th, 2014, 16:14   #15
5cilinder
Premier Member

They arent the same ,they have different SOFTWARE, injectors ,cilinderheads. turbo's ,conrods ,ecm etc
Old May 19th, 2014, 16:48   #16

Mine is due to go to Clive Brooks Volvo tomorrow for an emissions test, it has been in for diagnostics and they thought it was an air leak of some description. He said it was mechanically sound and not an injector or valve stem issue. (I had a quick look at the EGR pipe myself and found it in good condition).
However over the last couple of warm days it has used a bit of coolant it had dropped down to the minimum on a run and set the "low coolant" warning off. If the HG had gone i suspect it would use more coolant than that in the 6 weeks i`ve had it wouldnt it ?. My also has a rich smell about the exhaust as well as excess smoke.
47423 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2014, 17:02   #17
Shadeyman
VOC Member

Quote:
They arent the same ,they have different SOFTWARE, injectors ,cilinderheads. turbo's ,conrods ,ecm etc
They're also used in different Volvo cars, C30, S40, V50, C70, XC90 etc. all with different SOFTWARE but they're still the same basic 5 cylinder engine that VIDA/DICE, illegal or not is able to access.

This ends my "wordgames" session ...
Old May 19th, 2014, 18:29   #18
skyship007
Premier Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by 47423 View Post
Mine is due to go to Clive Brooks Volvo tomorrow for an emissions test, it has been in for diagnostics and they thought it was an air leak of some description. He said it was mechanically sound and not an injector or valve stem issue. (I had a quick look at the EGR pipe myself and found it in good condition).
However over the last couple of warm days it has used a bit of coolant it had dropped down to the minimum on a run and set the "low coolant" warning off. If the HG had gone i suspect it would use more coolant than that in the 6 weeks i`ve had it wouldnt it ?. My also has a rich smell about the exhaust as well as excess smoke.
Modern diesels should use almost no coolant and white smoke on start up can either be oil or coolant, although if the engine is not using oil, it's more likly to be coolant.

I would get the cooling system pressure checked to see if it's leaking from a hose or HG etc.

I noticed you are using a 5/30 oil and I would only use an x/30 in a newer engine (Or perhaps during the winter). For an older diesel an x/40 would be better and if the oil consumption is high, then a good high mileage oil that contains seal conditioners would be good. Castrol GTX 15/40 HM (Summer only), Valvoline Maxlife 10/40 or Mobil 1 10/60 EL (Serious case only) are all good HM oils.

Everyone should DYOR (Do Your Own Research)
skyship007 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to skyship007 For This Useful Post:
Old May 19th, 2014, 19:56   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyship007 View Post
Modern diesels should use almost no coolant and white smoke on start up can either be oil or coolant, although if the engine is not using oil, it's more likly to be coolant.

I would get the cooling system pressure checked to see if it's leaking from a hose or HG etc.

I noticed you are using a 5/30 oil and I would only use an x/30 in a newer engine (Or perhaps during the winter). For an older diesel an x/40 would be better and if the oil consumption is high, then a good high mileage oil that contains seal conditioners would be good. Castrol GTX 15/40 HM (Summer only), Valvoline Maxlife 10/40 or Mobil 1 10/60 EL (Serious case only) are all good HM oils.
Thanks, it doesnt use any oil and didn`t seem to be using any coolant till a week ago. I`ll see what they say tomorrow and keep a close eye on it.
47423 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2014, 20:59   #20
Shadeyman
VOC Member

I've seen this on a few websites, its a useful guide.

A diesel engine in good condition should produce no visible smoke from the exhaust, under most operating conditions. For old technology engines, a short puff of smoke when an engine is accelerated under load may be acceptable, due to the lag before the turbo matches the volume of diesel injected. But with modern electronic diesels, there should be no smoke at all.

There are three types of smoke…

Black smoke is the most common.

It indicates poor combustion of the diesel fuel. Causes, including…
•Incorrect timing
•Dirty or worn injectors
•Over-fuelling
•Faulty turbocharger (ie not enough air to match the fuel)
•Incorrect valve clearance
•Incorrect air/fuel ratio
•Low cylinder compression (eg sticking piston rings or worn components)
•Dirty air cleaner
•Restricted induction system (eg system too small or kinked inlet piping)
•Other engine tune factors
•Poor quality fuel
•Excessive carbon build up in combustion and exhaust spaces
•Cool operating temperatures

Obviously, worn or damaged components must be replaced, and the earlier you identify and fix the problem, the less damage will be done. Keep on top of engine tune issues, including valve adjustments, and regular servicing of air, fuel and oil filters. Do not buy fuel from suspect outlets.

Black smoke is high in carbon or soot, which is an undesirable product of diesel combustion. Now, the combustion of diesel is a complicated process of breaking down the various hydrocarbon fuel molecules into progressively smaller and smaller molecules, by burning in the presence of oxygen. The main and ideal end products of combustion are CO2 and H2O (carbon dioxide, the greenhouse gas and water).

It is believed that the last step in the process is carbon monoxide (the poisonous gas) to carbon dioxide. This is also the slowest step by far, and causes bottle necking in the chain of combustion reactions. This results (according to some authorities) in polymerization of smaller partly burnt molecules into much larger ones, which become visible as soot, or black smoke.

Blue smoke is an indication of oil being burnt. The oil can enter the combustion chamber for several reasons.
•Worn valve guides or seals
•Wear in power assemblies (ie cylinders, piston rings, ring grooves)
•Cylinder glaze
•Piston ring sticking
•Incorrect grade of oil (eg oil too thin, and migrating past the rings)
•Fuel dilution in the oil (oil thinned out with diesel)

At cold start, blue smoke is often evident, and can reflect reduced oil control, due to fouling deposits around piston rings or cylinder glaze (a carbon deposit in the cylinder crosshatching. These tiny grooves actually hold a film of oil, which in turn completes the seal between the piston ring and bore).

Blue smoke should not be evident at any time, but it is worth noting, that engines with good sound compression can actually burn quite a lot of oil without evidence of blue smoke. Good compression allows oil to burn cleanly, as part of the fuel. It’s not good though!

White smoke occurs when raw diesel comes through the exhaust completely intact and unburned. Some causes of this include…
•Faulty or damaged injectors
•Incorrect injection timing (could be a worn timing gear or damaged crankshaft keyway).
•Low cylinder compression (eg caused by leaking or broken valves, piston ring sticking, cylinder and/or ring wear, or cylinder glaze)

When white smoke occurs at cold start, and then disappears as the engine warms up, the most common causes are fouling deposits around piston rings and/or cylinder glaze. Use of our Flushing Oil Concentrate and FTC Decarbonizer address these respective problems.

Water entering combustion spaces will also create white smoke. Faulty head gaskets and cracked cylinder heads or blocks are a common cause of water entry, and are often to blame. Expensive mechanical repair is the only solution here.