Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Excessive smoke, Help needed

Views : 13463

Replies : 121

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 5th, 2016, 01:00   #41
paddyred
Master Member

So your vacuum lines are disconnected? That explains a lot! Also I have a categorical hatred for those tuning boxes! full of BS! I am afraid I havent got a clear picture myself. I can see what I can do tomorrow though. I can take a picture of the solenoids and note which pipe goes where
Old Jun 5th, 2016, 08:11   #42
daveyonthemove

Quote:
Originally Posted by paddyred View Post
So your vacuum lines are disconnected? That explains a lot! Also I have a categorical hatred for those tuning boxes! full of BS! I am afraid I havent got a clear picture myself. I can see what I can do tomorrow though. I can take a picture of the solenoids and note which pipe goes where
That would be so helpful, thanks.
Its very tricky to see below the Throttle body for a clear view, and that's why we are having issues finding clear photos to work from.
daveyonthemove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5th, 2016, 10:55   #43
daveyonthemove

Vacuum hose issue is now sorted:
http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showpo...92&postcount=5

Tuning box has been removed and placed in a skip where it belongs.

Car now drives much smoother, delivers power through the rev range really smoothly and I can now hear the turbo (never realised it was not audible until today).

However the smoke issue still remains so I'm not free from that burden just yet.

Injectors?
Old Jun 5th, 2016, 11:34   #44
paddyred
Master Member

Yea crack on with a leak off test. You want to look for all of them being the same. If you get one that chucks out loads on the leak off line or chucks out pretty much none then you know you have a dodgy one. If you work out which one it is you can look into replacements or getting a company to recon your current one.
Old Jun 5th, 2016, 13:02   #45
daveyonthemove

Ok, another update to bring all the info together.

DPF gutted and mapped out.
Fuel pressure regulator replaced.
MAF Replaced.
AIT sensor replaced.
EGR Blocked off and disconnected.
Tuning box discovered and removed.
Aerosol EGR cleaner used (very little smoke during or with full acceleration bursts).
Airbox and filter both clean.
Tried combinations of:
Air Filter removed.
Filter and MAF in place upside down in order to rule out blockage on air intake.
Air intake with MAF plugged in but removed from hose.
Smoked on all of those combinations.

Now left with little options but to look at fuel issues.

I was going to attempt a leak off test, but the daisy chain leak off pipes are awkward to get to and very tight, and I fear I may not be able to reconnect them once this has been done.
I have tried searching for guides or videos on this engine but found nothing.
Fuel filter is a DIY option, but I need to borrow the tools to do it (I know someone).
Old Jun 5th, 2016, 15:26   #46
paddyred
Master Member

Are you trying to pull the pipe off or take the connector out? You saw the little tab/clip thing on the leak off connector im assuming? The one thats holding the connection into the leakoff port? You can take off the pipe from the plastic connection. IIRC the pipes are only a push fit onto the connector as there is no pressure in there
Old Jun 5th, 2016, 15:34   #47
daveyonthemove

Quote:
Originally Posted by paddyred View Post
Are you trying to pull the pipe off or take the connector out? You saw the little tab/clip thing on the leak off connector im assuming? The one thats holding the connection into the leakoff port? You can take off the pipe from the plastic connection. IIRC the pipes are only a push fit onto the connector as there is no pressure in there
No I missed that. I tried to remove the pipe from the plastic connector.
That info is a game changer! I'll go and have another crack at it now.
Old Jun 5th, 2016, 15:55   #48
daveyonthemove

Found the clips, with a very thin flat headed screw driver I was able to move them away from the injector but the plastic connector is very secure and I attempted to pull them out and lever them away, but stopped before I damaged them.
They are currently soaking in wd40 in the hope of loosening them off so I can try again later or tomorrow.
Any tips on a safe way of removing them?
Old Jun 6th, 2016, 10:02   #49
paddyred
Master Member

did you remove the metal clip entirely? I should have said, unplug the injector from the electrical harness and then take the rubber cap that goes over the high pressure pipe off and then you get good access to the injector. The metal clip must be pulled out completely and it does hit up against the manifold and is a pain in the *** but it does come out completely. The plastic connectors can then be pulled out but the o-rings usually tear when your doing it so I would order a set of leak off connectors and pipes (you can get them off e-bay for £16.99 as a kit if your taking the connector out the injector) the pipes will come off though. I took mine off yesterday due to a broken o-ring causing a fuel leak and replaced them all. Just twist the pipe with some pliers first then wiggle the pipe off.
Old Jun 6th, 2016, 10:55   #50
Bloders2

have you spoke to a diesel injection place?
im not convinced the leak off test will be relevant, as you (and us?) suspect your getting too much diesel in the cyclinders, not returned down the line.
Of course, a leak off test will give an indication of injector fault, but you could just have one which is not closing, and causing ALL the woes. IN addition, it could be damaging the engine.
Personally, id pull them out, get them bench tested for all parameters, youd know then.

Another thought - when the engine is running, what does it sound like when you remove the oil filler cap? normal or do you have lots of back pressure?
Bloders2 is offline   Reply With Quote